Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb jetting no effect updated
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammy217us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Carb jetting no effect updated Reply with quote

68 sand rail 1600cc single port

I have a new 30/31 pict 3 carb I have changed the so called idle jet from 65 to 45 nothing. i have change the air correction jet from 120 to 125 no effect. it idles but dies once the spark plugs are covered in fuel. i have a air fuel gauge and it reads 10.5afr and only changes when the rpm is coming down. what am i missing?

update. I have fixed the high fuel pressure with a regulator but still dumbing fuel
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by jammy217us on Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
jammy217us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting no effect Reply with quote

everything i have read says idle jet is to the right aux to the left

L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting no effect Reply with quote

What is your fuel pressure?

SNORE # 1196 sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- Barnwerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
jammy217us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting no effect Reply with quote

it has a stock fuel pump and im running rich. so i dont kno what the fuel pressure is. dont know if it will help.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting no effect Reply with quote

I'm thinking high fuel pressure too. Or a leaking float valve. Or a very restrictive air cleaner. Or the choke is not coming off properly.

Float level is adjusted with thicker or thinner washers under the float valve assembly.

I am not entirely convinced that is the correct carb for a single port engine. It looks to me like a copy of the Solex 34 PCIT. I suspect the distributor is not the correct one either as there is no vacuum advance line being used but that is not your biggest problem.
Davz912/911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting no effect Reply with quote

While it's idling, look down the throat of the carb...If fuel is spewing out the float vent you have either a bad float (it sunk) a bad float seat, a mis-adjusted float, or as was the case with mine, to much fuel pressure. I ended up installing a fuel regulator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jammy217us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting no effect Reply with quote

i hope its the right carb amazon said it was a 30/31 Pict 3. it does have vacuum advance

you guy are right the fuel pressure is too high. i was thinking electric fuel pump, so as it dies the pump usually pump less. i did not understand that as the gasket wears out it will bring the pump closer to the rod.

i made a permanent setup for the gauge for now till i adjust the pump thank you guys.
jammy217us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting no effect Reply with quote

Can i just put a regulator on it or do i need to shim the fuel pump?
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting no effect Reply with quote

jammy217us wrote:
Can i just put a regulator on it or do i need to shim the fuel pump?

If you can fix it without adding another part to the system would be best , I have had multiple different carb set ups over the years and have never used a regulator.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting no effect Reply with quote

Some of the stock replacement pumps on the market these days have inappropriate pressure output for a stock VW carb, and are even worse for most aftermarket carbs. I'm not sure what is meant by
" i was thinking electric fuel pump, so as it dies the pump usually pump less. i did not understand that as the gasket wears out it will bring the pump closer to the rod."
But...The about 5.3psi you can see in his gauge is too much. So adding a fuel pressure regulator is a good solution here. Sure, he can play with more gaskets under the pump to change the effective pump rod length and theoretically alter the pump output. But I would refer a regulator adjusted to the appropriate pressure.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting no effect Reply with quote

Extra gaskets adjust the volume. A regulator adjusts the pressure. You choose.
jammy217us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting no effect Reply with quote

i got the fuel pressure down to 2 psi and still have no change in afr

the sad part is i got a cheap amazon regulator and 2 psi is the best i could do

im running a 50 idle jet and just nothing does anybody have any good info on the 30/31 float or any other reason i just cant get this thing to stop dumping fuel.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb jetting no effect updated Reply with quote

www.aircooled.net sells parts/has Technical Articles on carburetors & gives free advice!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: