Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilt transmissions
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Rebuilt transmissions Reply with quote

Hey all, I have a 2011 Ford Transit Connect that needs a replacement automatic transmission. 
Transmission shop I took it to suspected a broken planetary and didn't think it was worthwhile to rebuild (said when the planetary goes it usually cracks the case (?)).    
I bought the electronic Chilton's guide, install doesn't seem too bad so I'm planning on just swapping in a rebuilt.   

Looks like NAPA, AdvanceAuto, AutoZone, etc all carry Moveras transmissions. 
And there's a local Transtar dealer.
Those both run around $2k, with a new Ford unit around $3k

Jasper does not appear to sell to individuals?  And used transmissions are being sold for not much less than the Moveras/Transtar rebuilts.  

Searching online I don't see a whole lot of reviews for Moveras or Transtar, any thoughts?  Other options?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt transmissions Reply with quote

Friend of mine got his rebuilt from Aamco , 4k
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt transmissions Reply with quote

I'd junkyard a low mile one with a warranty.

Try www.car-part.com or LKQ
I DO NOT WARRANTY ANY CHINESE PART
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt transmissions Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Friend of mine got his rebuilt from Aamco , 4k

Yeah, the trans shop wanted $4700 installed.
Ford wanted around $6k installed.

Wondering if I'm vastly underestimating the labor involved here, the Chilton's instructions seem pretty straightforward.
Expecting it to take a solid day, but if the shops are charging ~$2k in labor..?

Ian wrote:
I'd junkyard a low mile one with a warranty.

Try www.car-part.com or LKQ

Yep, only found one Transit Connect listed at an LKQ 2hrs away; it's been available for ~1.5months and looks rough in it's intake picture. Given the normal state of LKQ cars after they've been there a while there's probably not much left to it. Actually been LKQ hunting a Transit Connect for a few weeks, I need a few cosmetic pieces for it and that one 2hrs away has been it.

car-part.com was the second place I checked and all the remotely local ones are overpriced, $1500 - $2500. A few are asking almost $2k for trans pulled from vans with over 150k miles.

For ~$2,000 I get a 3 year 75k/100k mile warranty on a Moveras/Transtar transmission.
And for $3k I could just buy a new one from Ford.

The trans shop I took it to went to quote me a used trans and it came out more expensive than the rebuilt he sourced, so the used part market is apparently a little rough right now.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt transmissions Reply with quote

my 0.02....

if you don't want issues get it from the dealer.

buy all your fluid from them too.

last i knew and i am 99.9% it's still true any ford reman can be installed by anyone and if there is a warranty issue the dealer takes care of it. no reverse in 2 months? dealer will swap the trans.

this is older, but i believe it's true

https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/ford-parts/wcdo...tement.pdf

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt transmissions Reply with quote

If Ford is indeed selling a new one, without question that is the way to go!

Buy once, cry once.

Rebuilt units at best are often "iffy" with reused parts that may be useable but not great. Service life will most likely be shorter.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: