Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new to the forum
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: new to the forum Reply with quote

So, now being retired, I decided to get a bug..
I had one back in the 70's while I was in college, 1200cc, 36 hp engine..
Not exactly high performance, but it got me everywhere I wanted to go, never let me down.

Back then, I did all the maintenance on it myself, so I have some experience with it, but it was quite a while ago...

Nevertheless, I got myself a '73 standard bug, according to the data plate it came from Germany. Found it via FB marketplace, about 60 miles from my home, checked it out, and we made a deal. It's in decent shape, floorpans and heater channels are solid. It starts and runs ok, but the brakes are iffy, so I decided to have it shipped to my home, instead of taking it 60 miles down the freeway..

So, I'll surely be back with questions, once I get started on it.
I'm in the N KY area, close to Cincinnati

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

The 73 is fine and dandy car. Take you time and to it right. Make it mechanically safe.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

From here it looks like that paint will buff out! Keep your eye on Craigslist for the glass if you don't have it, West Coast Metric for the rubber if it's gone. Original German parts are preferred, but difficult to locate. You're gonna enjoy that car big-time!
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, but the glass and new rubber comes with the car, I just have to install it.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

Pics of the engine?
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

Here you go..
Have only one.
From what I could find out, it's a 1600, single port.

I'm planning on installing a 2 carb setup, maybe even switch to dual port heads.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

"I'm planning on installing a 2 carb setup, maybe even switch to dual port heads."

You won't regret it.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

Looks like most of it is there...Ahh one respray also.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

I could be wrong but the paint appears to be the original. Shocked
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

The paint on the electrical wiring along the upper left corner of the engine suggests a respray at some point. Maybe buff it in a hidden area to see.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

That is not the OE engine. The OE would of been a 1600 dual port. Has a after market dizzy (009), so it is going to have a flat spot on accel. Can not tell what carb is on it. The fuel pump is for a generator, but if it works with the alternator then fine. It also probably doesn't have the thermostat and flaps. Rear tin is missing the hole for the stove pipe and hose to the air filter.

I welcome you back to the hobby and The Samba.
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

I read somewhere on the web that the 1973 non-superbugs got the 1600 single port engine...
And this is a regular bug, with the old front suspension.

But I can't find that article anymore..

I'll know more once I have it here, and can take down the engine number.

Aftermarket "dizzy" ? dizzy=distribuitor ?
Shane Tuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

All original or not (i.e. the distributor), it looks REALLY solid.

In my opinion, brakes and mechanical stuff is what I would prefer to deal with rather than rust. From the looks of your pics, that body is in great shape.

"Dizzy" is slang for distributor.

I was in the same boat about 1.5yrs ago. Left the scene for roughly 20 years and now getting back to restoring my '74 Standard Beetle. My take is I would rather have the front beam/torsion arms instead of struts.

Have questions? Ask away. But, be warned: I would do some research, first, on prior posts to make sure it hasn't been asked all the time (like, what oil to use).
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

Looks solid. That’s a nice beetle for sure. Can’t wait to see the progress and updates on it. Smile
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

MTT3107 wrote:
I read somewhere on the web that the 1973 non-superbugs got the 1600 single port engine...
And this is a regular bug, with the old front suspension.

But I can't find that article anymore..

I'll know more once I have it here, and can take down the engine number.

Aftermarket "dizzy" ? dizzy=distribuitor ?

Wrong answer DP engines began in 1971 for all U.S. market type 1s and type 2 as a one year only preceding the 72 1700 type 4 engine.
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for all the answers..

Like I said, I'll know more once I get it into my garage.
And, yes, I plan on taking care of the brakes first.
It already has been converted to discs in the front, but my guess is that the rear brakes are done.

And I will probably pull the engine, to see what state the clutch is in, and at that point also change the transmission mounts.

Next will be the seats, because they are totally shot...

Will be posting about the progress, of course
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

Ok, so my beetle arrived today...

The battery it came with was dead, so Installed a new one, cleaned the terminals, and it started right up..
But after running for about 5 minutes, it died, and wont start again...
I'll have to check all the connections, and replace the grounding strap from the engine to the body, it looks really crappy.

And I believe there also is a grounding strap between the body and the engine/transmission ?

Also checked the engine number, it's F0721355...
From what I could find out, not a 1600, but a 1300..
Can anybody here confirm that ? Thanks !

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

F is 1300 cc for US market and guess what 85.5 pistons and cylinders are direct fit to replace the little 77mm P/C . You could machine the little 1300 heads but those had smaller valves so we just upgraded to 1500 or 1600 head either single or dual port. Then you’ve a got a bastard engine with the small oil galleries and a too small oil cooler unless someone installed a step stud and used the later better doghouse cooler. The interchangeably is good and bad, some guys fuck up and create problems. We built many F case engines into 1600. Hell we even made 40hp 1600s but that’s a whole different story.
MTT3107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

Ok, Zundfolge 1432, thanks for that info !

For now, I will just try to get that engine to run properly, and get the rest of the car ( brakes, etc.) into good shape.

Upgrading the engine will come later.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: new to the forum Reply with quote

The tank out let might be clogged with rust, get a container, remove hose to carb and place in container and ground coil wire, then have someone crank the motor and see if you are getting gas, no gas or just a trickle, remove other hose (the one from tank) from fuel pump and blow in it and have a helper remove gas cap and listen for bubbles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: