Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

My glow plugs always worked before though.
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

I have a 82 diesel, and have faint memories of a connection issue in the area of the glow plug fuse. Look for green in that area.

Roland
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Okay I have read many posts saying that bad glow plugs or relay will not cause a no crank issue. And certainly not a no elec. anything but clock issue. I'm now wondering if one of the circuits that that wire feeds before it gets to the fusebox is messed up.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Great call Crazywaldovwvanman.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Thanks Roland, I have opened up that box and pulled the wire going to glow plug relay and inspected. Was fine. Do you mean on the actual glow plug relay terminals?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Doesn't the main power to the fuse panel run from battery positive to the post in the black box and then to the fuse box? The higher power circuit for the glow plugs runs off that post in the black box. If the issue is between that post and the fuse box, then during your test with the hot wire directly from the battery to the fuse box, the high power glow plug circuit would still be depending on the part of the wiring that contains the fault.

As a follow up test, run your hot wire from that post to the fuse box.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Great Idea Waldo. According to these pages though, the wire from battery to fuse box is red 12 going straight to fuse box 8? Isn't that what the dotted line means? I will have to cut that wiring loom open and find out for myself but I am pretty sure that the main wire goes to a post in the engine bay relay box. There are two red/yellow wires and a black wire going to this post. The black wire goes to the glow plug relay. The two red/yellow wires go to front of van. Any of them are suspect at this point.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Or the wire going to the post as you said to test.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

I'm not sure where those wiring diagrams are from but I don't think I would trust them. They show a distributor and idle stabilizer so fairly obviously not for the diesel despite the title on the pages.

If you don't have a Bentley manual you should get one.

Bentley 97.41-97.46 has the '83 diesel wiring diagram. Despite my earlier guess, it shows a 8 gauge red wire directly from the battery + to the fuse panel. It shows the 2 gauge positive cable to starter post and then an 8 gauge red wire from that starter post to the post in the black box. That post in the black box give the high current connection to the glow plug fusible link and then to the relay and on to the glow plugs (all red 10 gauge). That post in the black box also runs to the alt with two red/white 12 gauge wires (are they really that small?).

As a way to proceed I would try to avoid cutting open bundles of stock wires. Just trace the entire bundle and match up the wire you are tracing at each end. The (main) issue seems most likely to be either a bad connection/connections at that main wire from battery to fuse panel or corrosion in the wire itself. The glow plug issue may be separate.

Crazyvwvanman is much better at electrical than I am. If he says something that contradicts something I have said, then ignore me and listen to him.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Thanks Waldo. I do have a Bentley but I made the mistake of buying the electrical diagram for '83 thinking it would be more thorough. Also I have a hard time figuring out the Bentley wiring diagrams, but I will give it another crack.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

This is an excellent video describing how to read the factory current track wiring diagrams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKnTjuSmwaE

Part 2 is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMn0i-yHhSA
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Thanks. I will check those out. I am looking at Bentley now and it seems to make more sense with what I've learned this past couple weeks. It does seem to me that this is the post in the black box. So the only things that should be hooked up to it is the cable from battery to fuse box and the glow plug relay. I do have an extra wire then red/wht. Or I'm missing something.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

That's page 97.24
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

My Bentley only goes up to 97.39
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Prob older than yours.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

My Bentley goes to 97.247.

What you show is the wiring diagram for the '82 diesel.

That location you pointed to is not the post in the black box, it is one of the fasteners for the glow plug fusible link.

The post in the black box is #21 circled in red:

ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Ok thanks again. It looks like my Bentley is missing some pages. And my van may have been wired all $%^&*% up to begin with.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

97.247?
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Ok no missing pages. I found that section. My page #'s are different than yours though. Thanks again. Looks like my van was wired with a couple short cuts or something.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Like alternator is wired directly to battery.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: