Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Thanks for the input on the best tire selection(s). Not to start an unsubstantiated rumor.

I returned the Hankook Kinergy no problem, asked the person working at the branch of; "largest independent tire and wheel retailer in the world". If they could get the Vantra's, he did some checking and came back to say that it appears that the manufacturer has stopped making that tire and inventory that is out in the marketplace is all that's left. He stated that the RA08 was the replacement for Vantra. Interesting if you go to the Hankook site and use their tire selector they show no tire selection for a VW transporter (starting only at 1975 as the oldest) but show the Kinergy 205/70/14 tire as the selection for the Vanagon.

Will try to get a set of Vantra's, another site is showing they could have availability, will look at the Yokohamas as well, net net seems like LT tires are the way to go based on the responses.

May stay at 185 , will consider 195 & 205 as well.

Again thanks for the input based on experience. Will let you know the outcome.

Take Care!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

The Vantra LT aka RA18. I wonder if the clerk misread the number? They are still on Hankooks website.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Jay, try Amazon. Got my Vantra LT 185R14c 8PR tires there a few months ago. Best price, free freight, had them in 3 days. Bob
vwmerckx Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

My brother talked me into "Simpletire" https://simpletire.com/

At the time (2018), I purchased four Federal Ecovan ER-01 185/R-14 for my '71 Tintop Westphalia and had the local Discount Tires install them

Have been very pleased.

Did a quick cut n' paste search on the Vantra LT's

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

I did place an order with Tire Rack today, for the 185 Vantra's, they have a distribution center here in Reno.

Will see how soon they get the tires in for me to pick up!

If it gets delayed or not filled I will reach out to other sources that have been mentioned.

Thanks for all the input and information.

Take Care!
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Just received very nice inner NOS Cargo Door and Seat Belt Hanger from vwcrazyz, Zack in Springfield OR. OG Cargo door handle had a significant crack in it an let's just I finished it off Embarassed

Ordered a second seat belt hanger from Wolfsburg West and the quality is very high/ equal to nos only a bit more white color that the nos. Will continue to use them for the little bits plastic and rubber that have aged out.

Last item for now I could use some input on is what size screw / thread pitch and the corresponding tap I need. This is the rear seat back screw that mounts it to the brackets. When I got the Bus, two from one side were in a plastic bag in the glove box, after numerous attempts on the spare tire side I'm concluding that previously someone may have cross threaded the holes a bit and they need a clean up with a tap. Anyone have this experience / advice?

Take Care

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Yes, hard to duplicate "age".

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rustyvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

I also just purchased an OG 71. Brought it home last month.
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Rustyvdub, Very nice!! Outside of the antenna on the front and the different color curtains the two look like twins. Do you know your production date?

It would be interesting to see it and what differences may have taken place on our two if it was built at a later time in the model year. Mine is an" early" 71, built 29 Sept. 1970.

It has been mentioned on this thread that some changes did occur in the model year.

Take Care!
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

My bus is a 71 Deluxe built on 12 Sep 1970, although it's nowhere near low mileage. I'm curious, does yours have an 'E' on the M-plate? Meaning it was built at the Emden plant rather than Hannover.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Jay Pearson wrote:
Last item for now I could use some input on is what size screw / thread pitch and the corresponding tap I need. This is the rear seat back screw that mounts it to the brackets. When I got the Bus, two from one side were in a plastic bag in the glove box, after numerous attempts on the spare tire side I'm concluding that previously someone may have cross threaded the holes a bit and they need a clean up with a tap. Anyone have this experience / advice?

M6 x 1.0

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Blue 72 , the only letter is an E on the M code plate.

Bus Daddy- thanks again for sharing your knowledge this time on the size of the rear seat back screws.

Take Care!
Rustyvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

April 1971 manufacturer date.

I posted some pictures in the baywindow deluxe gallery.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Rustyvdub wrote:
April 1971 manufacturer date.

I posted some pictures in the baywindow deluxe gallery.

Very nice. Cool Zee Products bed too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Busy Saturday, got a lot done the refresh continues. Replaced one seat belt retractor, made one working og unit out of the broken parts of the two.

Replaced 1/2 of the seat surround on the passenger side it was like an eggshell if touched it cracked, funny the other three are fine, soft and pliable.

Cleaned the front Driver and Passenger Seat and door panels they came back very nicely.

Pulled the front floor mat and cleaned out the dirt and debris, floor condition in the front is excellent, paint is great and zero rust.

Pulled the front kick panels and will get them back in shape and reinstalled today. Smile

Take Care!

Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Got to the Front Kick Panels, as mentioned earlier the edges had released from heat and the adhesive releasing over 50 years.

Easy fix with spray adhesive and a blow dryer at low medium heat.

Look as they should now.

Took another Sunday drive Very Happy Very Happy , then changed the oil.

Take Care!

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Jay Pearson wrote:

Nice work! Looking good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Sun visor clips different on the driver and passenger side? Seems odd! Confused

Anyone seen this before. The Driver side allows it to unsnap and pivot, the passenger side does not and appears to have a brass color ring on the visor end by the clip.

Any input on this, did this just occur in the previous owners time?

Good news rear seat back problem solved, some seat material under the seat cover was blocking the mounting screws from threading in. All good now.

Take Care!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Those visor clips are correct, although I've never seen a brass sleeve on one before, originally only the drivers side unclipped to pivot, the passenger was SOL if the sun was coming from the side for some reason. The new replacements WW sells both unclip, but you have to come up with your own stud for the RH side, I save the old one when it breaks off and shove it into the end of the visor.

Edit: Thinking about that sleeve, maybe a gorilla passenger already broke it off and the sleeve is bridging the split?, usually they break off clean to the mount, but if there's a bit left sticking out it would be a crafty repair.

Make sure you include a warning about the non swivel sunvisor in your pre drive safety briefings, if not the sun will come out and it'll be yank yank YANK!, and later "why won't this stay up now?". Crying or Very sad

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 17

Jump to: