Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve guides
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Valve guides Reply with quote

Would cast iron valve guides be a good thing or a bad idea ...
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve guides Reply with quote

Aluminum has a thermal expansion coefficient of ~13, bronze roughly ~10, and cast iron about ~6. So I think there would be cause for concern that the valve guides might loosen up at high head temps.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve guides Reply with quote

I notice on my honda 400t cylinder heads had 3 valves per cylinder and used cast iron valve guides...so I was just curious if they could be done to a 36hp head ...it was just a thought ...bored in life right now ..to much thinking you can say lol ...
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve guides Reply with quote

Cast guide work fine but they are a pain in the ass to remove.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve guides Reply with quote

I heard they last way way longer than a bronze ones for street use but not so good for racing motors ....
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Valve guides Reply with quote

Your Honda guides are most likely powdered or sintered metal, all kinds of thing are made this way now, very accurate and needs little machining after it is made (pressed).
I would stick with a good alum. or tin bronze for valve guides.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Valve guides Reply with quote

Also on a side note, IMHO some after market heads have brass valve guides, I assume because of cost and ease of machining, see pic, about 90% certain these heads have brass guides, see also stock replacement guide and good grade of bronze bar stock I make guides from. Brass has a machinability rating of over a 100% compared with the steel standard, bronze's range from 20% to 80%.
Point is that most anything will work, just how long it last's is the key.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve guides Reply with quote

VW cast iron guides were distributed to shops in the early '70s (EMPI), both 36hp and 40hp style. I still have a few 36 somewhere.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Valve guides Reply with quote

Here's some pics of some cast iron guides, 10mm OD 7mm ID, the drawer they are in is marked
111-101-417-B-C1 I didn't mark them so not sure of accuracy.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve guides Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
Here's some pics of some cast iron guides, 10mm OD 7mm ID, the drawer they are in is marked
111-101-417-B-C1 I didn't mark them so not sure of accuracy.

Nice ....yeah I knew I seen some heads with them in the past but thought my eyes were playing with me ...and was thinking what would be the down side of them ..all I know by what I've read is that cast iron valve guides last longer for a street engine/use but not good for racing engines and bronze ones are good for racing so they have there up and downs ....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: