Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I.D a Tech Spec for this VDO Gas Gauge
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
larrygk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: I.D a Tech Spec for this VDO Gas Gauge Reply with quote

You've seen these before, I think from the '80's. Anyone know what the ohm range is (empty to full)?. Want to make sure my sender unit is a match for this. I've bench tested the combo together and it seems to be close.
I attempted to find a serial or model number on the back but there really is not one. Recently contacted VDO but no response yet. Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: I.D a Tech Spec for this VDO Gas Gauge Reply with quote

1970-1974 Porsche 914 is what this came from. I would find a Sending unit spec on that car.
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: I.D a Tech Spec for this VDO Gas Gauge Reply with quote

Doesn't every body have access to a "decade" box?

Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
larrygk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: I.D a Tech Spec for this VDO Gas Gauge Reply with quote

In the early 70's for 914's, there apparently was 3 different (gauge) ranges: 0-90, 10-180, and 10-73 for their VDO gauge.

VDO did respond and is saying that most likely mine is a 10-73 gauge which as stated is what my sender is so me thinks I'm good.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: I.D a Tech Spec for this VDO Gas Gauge Reply with quote

Let us know how it turns out because I want the same gauge for my NOS Manx.
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: I.D a Tech Spec for this VDO Gas Gauge Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:

:roll:

This is a "car" forum... Not a electrical forum!.... It does not even have a car electrical page.... And have been told it does not need one because all it would be all about was hooking up monster stereos....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I.D a Tech Spec for this VDO Gas Gauge Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
slayer61 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

This is a "car" forum... Not a electrical forum!.... It does not even have a car electrical page.... And have been told it does not need one because all it would be all about was hooking up monster stereos....

Dale, I find this forum really quite strange. A couple days back I added a couple of pictures to a thread asking to "show us your garage". Two pictures. A "then" and a "now" picture. Same garage... hell same wall of the garage. The picture that didn't display any VW reference was promptly deleted by the mods.

I went to the Off Topic forum and created a post about the high cost of pistol ammo. Not in violation of any forum rules that I saw, unless ammunition is considered "inflammatory". It was deleted all together.

Now you sound like you're scolding me for suggesting a common electrical test device when asked about the ohmic values required for a fuel gauge!

If this forum had an electrical question, most of the posts boil down to "What does this wire do? Or "Help. My lights don't work!"

I'll continue to read and keep my posts to my self. Have a good weekend everybody.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I.D a Tech Spec for this VDO Gas Gauge Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
Dale M. wrote:
slayer61 wrote:

:roll:

Dale, I find this forum really quite strange. A couple days back I added a couple of pictures to a thread asking to "show us your garage". Two pictures. A "then" and a "now" picture. Same garage... hell same wall of the garage. The picture that didn't display any VW reference was promptly deleted by the mods.

I went to the Off Topic forum and created a post about the high cost of pistol ammo. Not in violation of any forum rules that I saw, unless ammunition is considered "inflammatory". It was deleted all together.

Now you sound like you're scolding me for suggesting a common electrical test device when asked about the ohmic values required for a fuel gauge!

If this forum had an electrical question, most of the posts boil down to "What does this wire do? Or "Help. My lights don't work!"

I'll continue to read and keep my posts to my self. Have a good weekend everybody.

Not scolding, just relating my experience with trying to establish a electrical forum (over many years) for those who need electrical help, and responses of those who are exspurts in all things VW and don't electrical help....

Here is a site with a real electrical forum....

https://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=54&sid=a54398d64c6beb786d14b531ba5a2169

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: