Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1972 Karmann Ghia
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evan94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

I've meant to start a topic on my 72 Karmann Ghia for a while now. As seen in the certificate below the car was manufactured 50 years ago today, so I figured now would be a good time to start one. This will be a bit of a photo heavy post.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought the car in October 2010 when I was 15, it was in fairly rough shape having sat without running in someones yard for at least 7-years. Most notably the drivers side floor pan was rotten with a massive hole behind the rear seat.

My dad and I drug it home and started working on it. We got it running for the first time later that week and then over the winter tackled fixing the wiring, new brakes/master cylinder and installing a new pan half. The wheels were also redone and new tires were installed.

I drove the car like this for the summer before I did more work on it in winter 2012. I installed a new exhaust and installed drop spindles with a new beam. Not much was done to the car between then and 2017 besides installing new leather seats from a Mazda 3. I tried to drive the car as much as I could during this time.

From spring-winter 2018 I didn't drive the car much as a new engine was being built/installed by a local shop. The new engine is a 2020cc stroker. While I was waiting for the engine to be built I installed new 3/4" front and rear swaybars as I am/was planning on taking the car to some track days.

In July 2020 I did my most recent updates to the car. The old wheel/tire combo was rubbing on the front driver fender due to the drop spindles so I rolled my front fenders. I then installed 5x130 fuchs replicas on the front (165/60/r15 - 4.5"x15") and rear (185/65/r15 - 5.5"x15") with drums staying on the rear and slotted rotors on the front. I had some rubbing issues with the ball joints rubbing on the inner barrel of the wheel while turning and going over any slight incline, so I installed 1/4" spacers which eliminated the issue as long as I don't have a passenger.

The above photos are how it sits currently. I have an adjustable beam sitting in the garage that will be installed this winter so that my rubbing issues will hopefully be eliminated. I don't have any other major plans for the car besides driving it as often as I can and hopefully in 2022 I will finally be able to get it out on the track.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Welcome Evan 94.... and i do like me a white ghia Smile and i really like the single silver stripe down the side.
you've done some interesting work to your car so far and good to see an oil filter on your engine.
you might like to know there is another way of getting around the bottom ball joint rubbing on the rim. often the hole in the bottom of the spindle in not reamed deep enough. if you get it reamed just a little deeper the ball joint goes a little deeper into the spindle and doesn't touch the rim any more. Smile
the trick is finding someone with the correct reamer. I'm in Australia, so hopefully someone more local to you might know
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Welcome Evan! Your Ghia looks really nice and thanks for all the pics and the story. Great to read someone's history of owning and preserving these fun cars!!

Look forward to more pics and renovations.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

You are missing the weather strip that goes where the rubber remains are in the rear channel for the rear deck. Clean Ghia.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Welcome Evan. Happy birthday to your car. It's always nice to see young people carry on this hobby. From what we see, the body looks amazingly solid. We would enjoy seeing more pictures of the interior.
Enjoy your car.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Good looking Ghia!

I'll watch for you around town Smile
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Sharp Restomod😎
Welcome!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
evan94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

I'm hoping to take the car out of storage for the year this weekend to start doing some work (new front beam/interior) before cruising around.
I got up a set of MK5 GTI seats that were going to replace the Mazda 3 seats I had but I wasn't a fan of the plaid that was used so I had a them recovered with leather with the MK6 GTI plaid pattern. I picked up the seats yesterday and can't wait for them to be installed, hopefully on Saturday.
evan94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Got the seats installed over the last couple days, they sit a bit higher than the stock seats but otherwise are very comfortable.
cagey.jg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

those mk5 seats look like they really belong on the ghia. Thumbs Up
Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

They look amazing. Great job.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

From manufactured in Germany to delivered in Canada 6 days later. Now that's a prompt supply chain.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
evan94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

During the summer I decided to commit to a restoration. The rust that was covered during the previous "restoration" was starting to come through the white paint and there were some rust bubbles forming around both windows.

Over the course of about three weeks I've completely stripped the car of all wiring, trim, windows and interior in preparation of bringing it tot he shop. I've ordered rear inner/outer lower fenders, both rockers and heater channels and a patch panel for the lower nose section as this car has all the typical problem areas. The below photo is how the car was on November 2nd, it's now completely stripped.

My plans are to reuse as much of the original trim and hardware as possible for reassembly with the body shop tackling the major rust issues. I'm not shooting for a concours restoration, rather just fix what needs to be fixed so that I can continue driving the car as much as possible without being afraid of driving it.

When I bought the car I fixed the brakes, suspension and pan so that I could drive it so luckily I will not have much to do on that side of the restoration. If all goes well I'm hoping to have the car back on the road during summer 2023.

camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

My '72 was built on 17 September 1971 and also delivered to Toronto on 30 Sept 71!
Mine also came with heater, safety system & white walls.
I was able to trace the history of my car and it has always been an Ontario car.

Cool to see my cars ship mate!
evan94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

I dropped the car off at the body shop in early November. The shop is a one man operation and he has a few other projects on the go. This is how the car looked as of January 3rd.
I know the lower parts of the car will need some metal replacement, hoping there aren't any major surprises.
evan94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Bodywork progress updates as of March 9th, 2023. I will be going to the shop to take a look at the work done and take more/better photos of the work that has been done in the next couple days.

Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Was the car originally Willow Green? That's a great color. Do you plan to go back to original, or go custom?

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evan94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
Was the car originally Willow Green? That's a great color. Do you plan to go back to original, or go custom?

Car was originally willow green and at some point was painted white when it was "restored". It's going to be painted willow green again.
evan94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Update from the body shop, he will be spraying epoxy primer on it today and then final bodywork/sanding in the next week or so. Should be primed at paint by end of July if all goes well.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1972 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Willow Green is a nice color, look forward to pictures of it painted.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: