Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help adding auxiliary battery to non-camper
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RufusRockwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Need help adding auxiliary battery to non-camper Reply with quote

After some hot camping trips last summer I decided I'd like to add a 12v fridge to my van, something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Iceless-Thermoelectric-Cooler-Silver/dp/B00DVRKH4I

Here's what I want to do...
Add an aux battery in the location behind the drivers seat
Set it up to power a 12v lighter type socket that I can plug the fridge into and possibly a USB type charger. I don't want this battery to power anything else in the van.
Have the aux battery be charged by the alternator when driving
Have the capability to charge the aux battery by a solar panel when camping.

My van does not have any battery cable hookups in the aux battery space so I will need to add those.
I have no idea how easy/difficult/possible this is or where to begin. I've looked around but have not seen any set ups this specific so not sure where to begin.
Any ideas?
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help adding auxilliary battery to non camper Reply with quote

I have a full on set up in my westy, but you could do it in any van, my battery is in the sink cab behind the drivers seat. I used a "Blue Sea" automatic charge relay, which isolates the house battery from the starting battery and charges them both while driving, add a fuse, or fuse panel from Blue Sea and you should be good to go. I added a double socket USB and power outlet with a switch on the dash and in the back as well.Mine looks like the control room of a nuclear submarine!Just make sure EVERYTHING is fused!!!I used 4 gage wire for the charge rely and used a 80 amp fuse coming from each battery to the relay.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help adding auxilliary battery to non camper Reply with quote

Oh yea, use good wire, I only use "Ancor" marine wire, its tinned copper, you can get it on Amazon or West Marine in all gauges.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help adding auxiliary battery to non-camper Reply with quote

Sadly, you will probably be disappointed with the performance of the linked cooler. Look up the differences between thermoelectric and compressor 12v coolers. Basically the former draw more power but cool less. The ones that are twice or more as expensive are worth it.

Lots of threads on building the battery system. Do a title only search on auxiliary battery or look here as a starting point for an affordable, functional layout.
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrela...stallation
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help adding auxiliary battery to non-camper Reply with quote

My van does have a house battery charged with the alternator through an isolator. It works great but I wanted to do solar for a 12v fridge/freezer. So I set up a completely isolated system with Renogy 50ah lithium battery under drivers seat, Renogy 20 amp MPPT controller and a Renogy 100 watt solar panel in my luggage rack. The load is a dedicated Dometic 12V receptacle for the Dometic 12V fridge. For backup I do have a portable AC to DC charger for the lithium battery so I can charge it up before leaving home and at front country campgrounds. It works great mainly because the compressor fridge just sips electricity. That’s something a thermo type cooler won’t do.

calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Need help adding auxiliary battery to non-camper Reply with quote

Nice setup PJ! I have basically the same solar set up 110 w solar, 110 ah battery , plus 50 ah under the seat, 1000 watt inverter and 20 amp pro seat charger, lots of wiring!! everything fused, breakers and battery switches. Only my panel is a flexible one kept inside the van
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Need help adding auxiliary battery to non-camper Reply with quote

I agree with a previous poster: do not get a thermoelectric cooler. They draw 4 amps continuous and are not very efficient. They typically only cool to 40 degrees ambient at most. They're ok if you're only using them while driving. But otherwise a 12 volt compressor fridge is a much better choice and there are many choices out there.

Ed
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Need help adding auxiliary battery to non-camper Reply with quote

Had a thermo electric once years ago. Complete bust. It does cool............to 40º less than ambient. So there we are at the Oshosh air show walking around on a nice pleasant summer day. Sun in the mid 70's. Come back to the closed up car and the inside temp is 95º and the cooler at 55 useless degrees and sucking down the battery. Threw out all the food. Bought some ice and used it as a basic non electric cooler and ditched it when we got home.
RufusRockwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help adding auxiliary battery to non-camper Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. This is a great start.
Not knowing anything about these portable fridges, I was thinking that the compressor types would draw more power. Interesting and good news as I would rather have a compressor type anyways.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help adding auxiliary battery to non-camper Reply with quote

Yup, the revolutionary Danfoss BD-35 compressor (used in over 90% of 12V and 24V compressor fridges) rang the death knell for the "thermoelectric" ( Peltier Effect to be precise) cooler units. Now the makers of these "thermo-electric" units have tons of stock to unload on the unwary public.

Having said that, the thermoelectric coolers also operate as warmers which, on Turkey Day, can keep the stuffing warm on the way to Grandma's Place. So, for those who drank that Kool Aid, you might use the device once per year.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help adding auxiliary battery to non-camper Reply with quote

Now we have a 300Ah 'infinity' battery, I resurrected our Peltier effect cooler, added an electronic thermostat ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2X4NNR $10 for two), and although it takes 4A when on, this works fine. It's only used for beer, and I keep the 'stat at 41°F with a 2° window. If the ambient temp goes above 85° I switch it off completely, as it is well insulated and above 85° it would warm up inside if left on.

So they can have a place. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: