Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new battery no power-update
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

Engine back in the bus, everything hooked up (wires vacuum etc.) new tank so I just put about a gallon of gas in to test...tried to start...

good turn over but did not start...noticed there were some grounds not connected (one of the two by the hatch and what i think is the fuel pump by the firewall. Connected those...turned over, radio came on etc. but no start..

battery ran down from starting attempts...charged battery...no power --no lights or anything..

battery was 6 years old so I replaced it...

No power at all now... Where should I look first?

Last edited by brownbus2 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power Reply with quote

From the looks of the cable for the negative terminal in your gallery pics it's been a long time since it's been off and cleaned, red is also a bad choice for a ground cable, one bad jump starting move and the expensive smoke gets out. Time to remove all the battery cables and clean both ends of the cables and where they attach, also the strap on the nose of the transmission. And if there's any of those universal battery terminals that bolt on to the ends of the cables in play it'll be money well spent to invest in new cables with crimped on terminals.

Once you get cranking restored we'll move on to diagnosing the no fire problem.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power Reply with quote

cleaned and tightened the terminals on the cables at battery end.

crawled under the bus with multi-meter. with key turned im getting steady volts at the end on the cables at the post of solenoid as well as some of the wires at the relay that is in the pic.

pic is before the engine was removed..the wires are a bit cleaner but Im about to head back out and remove and clean the connectors and check again for loose terminations etc.

more info --Before the engine removal..the starter , a few times, did make a sound harder than a click but not a big clunk...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by brownbus2 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

if the cleaning doesnt fix this should I jump it using the method below?

should I also nix that relay? If so do i just remove the wires that connect to the relay, or, do those now removed wires need to go elsewhere?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

That's the worst place to locate the relay, if you do replace it move it to the inside of the engine compartment out of the weather. To bypass it move the red/black wire from the relay to the spade terminal on the starter.
Those connections look nasty, some time spent removing and shining every connection can only improve things.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

If you look inside you battery cable ends and you see a black coating that is a high impedance oxidation layer and it needs to be removed so that you have clean shiny metal showing. You can buy a tool to clean it off, or just use a sharp pen knife to scrape at it carefully. Treat your cable ends and battery posts with a goodly smear of Vasoline to prevent further corrosion.

Are you 100% sure you have the cables to the battery attached to the correct posts? Easy to get them reversed if you aren't careful. You can't depend on the color of the cable alone as VW originally used black cable for the (+) side and who knows what some PO might have put on there.

Last edited by Wildthings on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

yes the cables are correct. the negative is fairly short and was still attached to the body of bus...I am getting voltage at the starter end of the battery cable. just nowhere after that...

~refresher: It turned over during first few attempts to start after engine install. I had only put a small amount of gas into new tank (mainly because the tank from cip1 had too short of outlets and their work-around was to bend them, so, I didnt put a lot of gas in in case of a weld break in the outlets). Then no power or cranking. Battery was old, so I replaced it. Still nothing. Not even turning over.~

was out during lunch and cleaned terminals a bit...tight under there so in a bit going to put it on jack stand to have more room to work.

If the relay is bad, would that prohibit the bus from getting accessory (lights , dash etc.) power as well? strap between the solenoid and starter looks worn. not broken, but still worn. Would that affect it?

also just for giggles, I checked fuse box....the fuse on #8 is blown.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

cleaned all the terminals at the starter. Cleaned up the ground to trans.

I now have power! And its cranking, but weakly. I did not clean the relay terminals. I was doing solenoid first then relay to isolate the problem--though in all fairness all those terminals are full of crud.

Some of the wires at the starter end have corrosion on the threads themselves.

Should I get some crc and squirt a bit on and then wire brush them? Or snip a bit and re-terminate?

Thanks to the usual suspects for all of the help! Ill report back later today when i can work on it again.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
cleaned all the terminals at the starter. Cleaned up the ground to trans.

I now have power! And its cranking, but weakly.

Is the battery fully charged? Have you cleaned the body and body end of the negative cable? I run an 8ga jumper from the ground cable body bolt to a clean shroud bolt to help with the engine ground.

I vote crappy battery cables or flat battery. If the cables have not been changed while under your ownership just spend the $30 on new 2ga or larger cables from a reputable retailer like NAPA or a heavy/OTR truck store. A lot of the chains sell CCA cables which is copper clad aluminum and is not good for the long haul, you want copper wire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

brand new battery

cranks strongly now...

tries to start. not quite a sputter, but, engine seems to almost turn over but doesnt fully start.

weird thing is i disconnected the pump ground and had a similar result, though that may have been residual fuel already there...(can i attach a shorter ground to the body near the pump to test if the ground is good?)

where should I start tomorrow? test the pump? then dual relay? then fuel pressure?

some may remember that i was asking which wire went to which side on my cold start valve...could I have the wires wrong?

I want to star my trouble shoot at the correct place...

Thanks!!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

Start by testing the DR and the pump at the same time, depress the flap in the AFM while the key is on and listen for a click from the DR and the hissing of flowing fuel. (if you plan on taking more than a couple minutes for this test remove the green wire from the coil, don't forget to replace it after).

If you hear a click and pump action look for a big vacuum leak, like a split in the S boot you didn't see.

How have you set the timing?, how long has the engine been out?, what kind of fuel were you running before it was removed (ethanol?)?

The CSV wiring should be good if you followed the instruction in that thread, even if it's not working it's not really cold enough to need the CSV to start right now.

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

Quote:
cranks strongly now...

tries to start. not quite a sputter, but, engine seems to almost turn over but doesnt fully start.

"turn over" - what the starter does to the engine, same as cranks. When you say something wants to "turn over" it means it rotates slowly but stops before a complete turn.

"fires, runs etc." What it does when the engine "catches" and runs. Example - "it turns over at a normal speed, sputters a little bit, but never catches and runs."

In this video below you will see the engine turn over, and over a little more, then catch (fire) on a couple cylinders, then run on all cylinders. Please use the appropriates verbiage so folks here will be able to clearly understand what you are experiencing.

Link

brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

engine has been out since march...to replace tank then ... a forever project of cleaning and painting etc. the engine

new fuel lines...vacuum lines looked good. the ones that weren't were replaced...

was running ethanol-free until that placed closed down...Sad

timing was set just with the feeler while engine was out (if the gap got out of wack, could that cause this, or would that not effect start-up?) ...before then, before engine pull, I set it by timing light.

The instructions in the csv thread varied from detailed to wires in either slot didnt matter...Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

Even with ethanol sitting since this March shouldn't glue them shut (famous last words), it's more likely a vacuum leak if the timing hasn't changed since it ran last. When it's trying to fire (catch?) is there any black smoke from the tail pipe?

I remember that CSV thread now, the wire placement in the valve doesn't matter, just on the TTS. If it's not puffing black smoke put some gas in a squirt bottle and introduce some (tablespoon...ish) through a port on the S boot where a big vacuum hose attaches (put the hose back before attempting to start), does it seem more willing to start?, or less?

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

What timing spec did you use?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

3 things are needed

compression
air and fuel
spark

Your job will be made easiest if you just try to figure which is missing.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

timing was set mat 7.5 BTDC..using light..

part of the problem was indeed vacuum...the hose from the elbow/S to the aux air regulator had come off at the metal elbow.

connected it.

So...it starts up...not each try, some times it "sputters", but mostly when it starts it revs up--a lot, then quickly dies (stops running, starts stopping). Could that partly be a throttle cable issue that needs adjusting

Thats where Im at. Where do I start first in trouble shooting.

Gas is new. engine was pulled for tank replacement

thanks
troy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
but mostly when it starts it revs up--a lot, then quickly dies (stops running, starts stopping).

That still sounds like a large vacuum leak. You get enough extra fuel on start up to cause it to run and rev and then the extra fuel gives out and it goes lean and dies.

Once you get it running well, set your timing at 28° BTDC @3800 rpms with the hose off the distributor.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

Heading back out...on another thread someone mentioned brake booster hose. Ill check there fist.

I didnt replace every vacuum hose. Mainly because some looked good and they were also hard to find new ones. I did replace any that were tearing or had holes etc.

The elbow that goes to the aux air reg, it is new but not as rigid rubber as the old and torn one. If that is kinked would it act similar to a major leak..?

Ill report back.

Thanks!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

smoke generator would be a good solution here. Gary put a link for one in another thread the other day for about $68. That will quickly identify where the leak is. You'll need a small compressor to work the smoke generator. Could be an injector seal, elbow, booster or hose, cracked S-boot, bad EGR diaphragm etc..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: