Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Largest Tires without messing with suspension
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cturnbaugh93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Largest Tires without messing with suspension Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

I am purchasing 71 Bug on Friday that I am going to make a Baja. I am just wondering what is the biggest tire I can put on the front and back without messing with the suspension. I have heard different things on different sights, like 215/75/15 are the largest for the front and then some say 235/75/15. I would really appreciate the insight this is a dream car of mine I have always wanted to do so I want to do it right.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Largest Tires without messing with suspension Reply with quote

Back in the 60's we had tall bias ply tires we had the tread shaved down to where the cord was just starting to show inner and outer sides of the tread so we had a tread about 4" wide in the center and sand was no problem plus raised it up. Only problem was, it changed the gearing ratio to the point 4th gear was freeway only and it ate clutch's trying to take off quick. We also had cut down fenders so when you get your Bug you will be able to measure your clearance.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Largest Tires without messing with suspension Reply with quote

A Baja has cut fenders so you can fit larger tires than under stock fenders.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Largest Tires without messing with suspension Reply with quote

A limiting factor in the rear is the extended torsion rods. 31x10.5 is hit/miss, but a 30 x9.5 will clear.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Largest Tires without messing with suspension Reply with quote

In the "olden days" I ran a G78-15 on the back of my '73. The modern equivalent looks to be about 215/75-15.

https://www.tireimages.com/documents/tireconversion.pdf
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Largest Tires without messing with suspension Reply with quote

Hopefully that is a Standard Beetle not a Super Beetle. The Supers had a very weak front suspension for off road use.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Largest Tires without messing with suspension Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Hopefully that is a Standard Beetle not a Super Beetle. The Supers had a very weak front suspension for off road use.

Actually it was the rear of the super. I also believe they were "recaps" as that's all this high school kid could afford after paying for motor parts to build the 1835. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Largest Tires without messing with suspension Reply with quote

cturnbaugh93, I'm sure all of this old school reminiscing is super helpful... Very Happy

235/75/15 tires will not fit on a full fender, stock suspension Bug. 215s will be iffy. This would generally be considered a Class 11 style car.

If you build a "traditional" Baja Bug you will have much more room for larger tires. 31" and 30/9.50 rears mentioned above are both good options. Scroll through the many pages here and you'll see actual examples of what will work.

Pit Boy 6163 Spec Trophy Truck
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Largest Tires without messing with suspension Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
oprn wrote:

Actually it was the rear of the super. I also believe they were "recaps" as that's all this high school kid could afford after paying for motor parts to build the 1835. Embarassed

The IRS rear suspension of the Super Beetle was identical to the late Standards. The Super was introduced in '71. From about '68 on the Deluxe and auto stick Standards had IRS rear suspension. The exception to this was that some of the Standard Beetles still had awing axles. Mostly those built in Mexico and Brazil.

The front suspension on all the Supers were McPherson struts with coil springs. They gave far superior road handling and ride but bent easily even on large pot holes on the street. All Standard Beetles came with torsion bar/trailing arm front suspension. These are tough as nails in off road use.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: