Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SS100 "replica" Kit Kar
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I wondered about that but I don't know your system.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I knew it would not be possible to get a registration and the license plate but I assumed it would be possible to get a title.

Anyhow I’m busy putting it back together in whatever manner I have to to get it titled. The DMV inspector told me, “. . . we’re not going to test it, but it must be a complete car . . . “

Also they like to prevent insurance scamming and they wanna make sure I’m not trying to run some con.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I swear I will never understand your system! Here you get a "bill of sale" when you buy a car from the dealership or the previous owner. The government is never involved in that on any level. It's like a receipt you get at the store for any other thing you buy and proves that you are the legal owner. Simple!

Then you take that document to your insurance company and the registration office and get your insurance and licence plate. Done, simple!

The bill of sale is not ever needed thereafter to my knowledge and becomes obsolete when you sell the car and make out a new one to the new owner. Again, simple!

Titles here are for land ownership that you can't really hang a licence plate on...
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I had no problem getting the car insured and I simply sent them a photograph of the serial numbers, the document from a dealer with the serial numbers, the document from the state with the serial numbers, and a copy of the title with the serial numbers.

Seeing everything agree, that they were happy to take my money.
Now the state of California was also happy to take my money. But they’re currently charging me use fees for a car that cannot be titled let alone registered.

The state of California is sticky about interstate transfers of title because of gray market cars which were not allowed here, but which rich people sneak under the wire.

There were lots of cars that didn’t meet the California safety or smog requirements and so something was done and that was that.

Some cars are so impossible to register that people will register another possibly similar car and then swap plates.

There used to be a law here that required you to pay a registration fee every year for a trailer which was not a commercial vehicle. But now they have a permanent trailer plate which is different from a Car plate, to prevent people from buying a $300 trailer and putting the plate on a $300,000 illegal car.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Sounds like an a$$ backwards way to do things. Here everything hinges on the serial number of the vehicle, period! That tells them everything about the car. I can take the serial number of any car I buy and get it's history, all previous owners, major accidents, provincial transfers, any outstanding debts against it, whether it is stolen or not. The serial number tells you the make, model and year of the car too.

The way I see your title system is it is nothing more than a money grab that duplicates what could be done far more simply with just the factory serial number. I see no advantage.

That whole system sounds like the system we have here for housing development. Permits are required for every trade that works on your house/garage. BUT after you apply for and get official permission to built/remodel your house/garage and have the documentation to prove that, you still have to buy a permit that allows you to get the trade permits!

Just another money grab layer.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I was engineering public buildings for many years and so I have seen a lot of that bureaucracy. Maybe not as bad as what you described but that varies from place to place.

The same thing is true about automobiles. Each state has its own laws. Some states have a “compact” or agreement they all follow for convenience, but they don’t follow it 100%. And it’s for the convenience of the states and the federal government. It is not intended for my convenience at all.

I didn’t think I’d be working on the car today as I went and got my second Moderna shot yesterday and the doctor told me that I might feel sick afterwards but so far no after effects.

I got my grandkids to come over and help me In the house and the garage, and they helped me stick the front body clip back on the car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It’s not secured yet but it’s positioned. I was up late working in the garage and I got a lot done.

The rear crossmembers, parking lamps, front valance and front bumper, rear bumper and rear sub frame are all on. The heater boxes are gone and the “Heater delete” tubes and muffler are installed.

Today I will try to get the front fenders on.

I need to trim the floor pan just slightly before mounting the forward body, and I have to locate and attach the forward crossmember which supports the runningboards and the tail of the front fenders.

The rear body has no rear body mounts and never has had. Basically it was sitting on the muffler and cantilevered from the fenders.

There’s the front fenders, the tub, and cowl. I also still have to install rear fenders and doors and runningboards.

At some point the people who built this car couldn’t get things to fit and they just gave up. That’s because the chassis was bent (!) but with some easy modifications I have taken that out of the equation for the body.

The radiator shell is very much out of square and I need to oversize the holes in the body and get it aligned properly. The mounting of the front body is not going to be finalized. I’m just throwing it together to get an inspection passed.

You folks in other countries where they have engineering requirements for custom cars are not used to the system in California. They’re mostly looking for smog cheaters and insurance frauds. They are not gonna look at my welding or the amount of rust on the frame.

You’ll notice I haven’t bothered to clean or paint anything, because this is all going to come apart again. My wife is going to hate me.

Anyhow, I am tired from all the work yesterday, but the best part of all of this is I was expecting to feel sick today. I was warned by the pharmacist, because he had a mild reaction, but I am having no issues.

The one thing I did not do is sit around and take it easy, And so it’s back to the garage for me.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Sounds good!

My first Moderna shot was a total non event. I got the second one at 9AM and nothing happened until about 5 PM and suddenly I felt like I had the flu coming on big time complete with the chills and a fever so I went to bed. By 8PM it was all gone never to return.

I can't believe how many problems you found with this car! It looks like it landed in the right garage though...
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Whether it did, & whether it will stay in this garage remains to be seen.
Wink
Anyhow I got the front fenders, the spreader bar, braces, and the valance bolted down, then I got some fender welt around the radiator shell. I installed the hood ornament and the mirrors and turn signals. Nothing is wired yet.

I spent a lot of time trying to get everything aligned properly because it was such a crooked mess when I got it. There was a lot of excess glass on the back of the panels in a couple locations and it was throwing the fenders off and throwing the valance off. Since they attached to each other and to the front bumper, and the bumper brackets were bent, everything was wacky.

It’s all looking a lot more square now, Because I spent a lot of time grinding on the back of the panels in those problem areas.

The guy that originally put this together should’ve figured this out before he tried to assemble the car but he didn’t have a clue.

Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I won't be able to tow like this once the bumper is on. I will have to adapt the towbar elsewise.

Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

With effort comes insight, luck and some good news.

By reading the kit assembly manual, and then disassembling and reassembling most of the car, I am discovering the missing parts (12 spacers, 4 brackets, 30 bolts and more) but also the missed steps.

Some were obvious. Parts were simply not installed. Spacers missing. Several holes were double-drilled. Location instructions weren't followed for some parts. Some things were not clear until I tried to build the body myself.

Good news: I figured out all the gross assembly errors that were hidden.

4 inner bits of the rear fenders were never notched correctly & this caused a host of misalignments and gaps in the fenders, body, and running boards. It also omits clearance to service the torsion bar. I started notching them out and test fitting, and they are almost there.

The rear subframe appears to be somewhat short, but it also may just be miss-located. I can't tell as some manual pages appear missing re the steel crossmembers and subframe. I have no dimensions to check. I'm just gonna wing it.

Also some Bad news today, as the prop exploded on my experimental electric boat. It lost a blade as I was backing it away from the dock. I have been overstressing it in reverse gear, and the remaining blades had stress cracks that open under simulated reverse thrust. Fortunately I had a spare, and fixed it in 5 minutes, saving the day.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Is there a special dance you are supposed to do when you get a new welder?

I can’t try it out yet because I don’t have rods, an argon cylinder, or a welding helmet at this point. Everything else I need came with the kit.
This is the Primeweld TIG225ACDCP

This comes with a much better pedal and their previous version the TIG225X, But otherwise it appears to be the same machine.

This is suitable for welding all light gauge metals. I however am not so suitable, and will require some practice to do this.

I don’t think I’ll have much trouble doing mild steel though because I have a lot of practice with the oxy torch.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

After a lot of careful measuring, I discovered that the forward mounting holes of the rear steel subframe were totally misslocated in the pan, being both 1/2” too far forward and 3/4” too close to the passenger side of the car. shoving it off in such a way causes an extreme reaction of the opposite end. This was causing the left rear of the body to warp up and it was causing the right rocker of the body to bulge. That is all now corrected. I do have some extra holes to patch in the floor.

Coupled with the fact that I have properly notched the rear fenders so they fit more closely to the body, the whole car is starting to look a lot straighter.

The defects in this body are not all obvious in the photographs. It has warpage in several ways that I am so far managing to correct, nearly all of this has been accomplished by correcting the mounting points.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Well I spent a bundle on welding accessories.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Nice! You can't work without tools in my view!
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

The TIG welder has a fat new 25’, 50 amp, 240v extension cord, so now I can weld inside the garage, out in the boat yard, or in the driveway. My true RMS voltmeter tells me I’m still getting 241 point something.

I decided to practice on the gauges of metal I will actually be welding. And I’m just going to be doing a bunch of small welds in most cases.

So this is my first TIG welding since 1974. Should I tell you that I was rather anxious regarding the whole business? That was a long time ago and what if I’m just too old and shaky?

I had two false starts, Raised the heat,and then I took off. This is a 19mm by 1mm mild steel strap. I folded it in half and welded the edges together. The fold has sort of an open eye, so I used a dab of filler there to start, and then I just fusion welded the rest.

On the next weld there was some crap between the layers that I did not clean out and I had a blowout near the end of the weld that resulted in a crater.

This is an edge of the floor pan cut off through the rear pan reinforcement. (shown inverted) This is 1mm to 0.75mm, with a 0.5mm+ gap. I welded them along my saw-cut edge.

This is the reinforcement under the pan where the jack plugs in, below the Volkswagen running board. Shown inverted.

This close-up shows where I started along the edge of the 1 mm frame, and then along the lap, and then welded up part of the gap.

I would’ve done a lot more but other business kept me away from the shop today. Tomorrow I will have more time.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

First TIG since 1974? I'd say you did right fine. Those welds look like they'll hold anything they need to. Well done Sir.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Thank you Paul.

I’ve had a Victor acetylene torch kit most of my adult life, and this welding is very similar. But when I said 1974, I literally welded one SS pipe joint with TIG in 1974.

That was it. I used a MIG maybe twice in my life. Otherwise just stick welders and gas. This was the second time ever with TIG.

I think the next welds will improve, because I bought a much better helmet.
It’s a Miller Elite automatic, and it is really comfortable It is also compatible with TIG welding. The pulsing causes some helmets to cycle on and off.

This was $300 more than my basic Jackson helmet. I think it’s gonna be worth every penny.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I have a cheap Harbor Freight helmet and find myself mig welding in the dark or blinded. I need to upgrade. I was look at some on grizzly.com.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Take a good look at the guts on a $400 helmet. Then look at less expensive helmets and find one that has the same guts. What you don’t want to do is buy an expensive helmet that has the cheap guts.

I almost refuse to buy an auto darkening helmet because I don’t like the way they work. The helmet should go dark if it fails, not go clear.

That means it would need batteries to go clear, But it would work like an old fashioned helmet if the batteries went dead or the circuits failed.

But it seems to be just the opposite, which of course means that you will see arc flash if it fails.

I’m just doing a certain amount of hobbyist Welding here, and if I had to weld for a living, I’m not sure how I would feel about this business.

Anyhow we had a huge rain last night and it was the first one in several months so I’ve been spending some time cleaning up in the aftermath. When you live in the desert and it only rains three days a year, it always results in a bunch of puddles and messes to clean up. Anyhow that means it’s too damp to go welding in the boat yard today, though later I might do something in the garage after I get done with my fiberglass work.

After I got the nose of the car straight, and the front fenders straight, and the front bumper straight, I realized that the headlights had never been installed straight. I need to unbolt the spreader bar and raise it a quarter inch on one side, and drop a quarter inch on the other side, and Redrill the holes.

I made a little trammel set up to determine the longitudinal position on the car, and amazingly they are both in the same place in the direction where it should be most difficult to get them there. According to the instructions there are little dimples on the fenders where you drill for the headlight bar. Maybe they were goofy.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I have finished all of the wiring forward of the cockpit including the brake switch wires, fuel sender wires, installing the horn and its wires, plus a heavy ground connection for the front frame grounds.

I also installed the brake master cylinder and steel brake lines and new hoses for the remote Reservoir. I discovered the remote reservoir is damaged and I will have to order a new one.

I had to weld up the worn out pedal hook and I used the new welder to do it. It took me four times as long as it would have with the acetylene torch because I still don’t know what I’m doing, and I have never set up for 1/8” metal.

I stuck the electrode into the work at least four times and had to stop and re-grind it to do the stupid little fill. In the end it came out OK but not great.

I got the pedal assembly cleaned up and installed with new pedal rubbers. I cleaned up the extended brake pushrod and got that installed as well.

So I’m already to bleed the brakes tomorrow
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 24

Jump to: