Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SmallCar VS RMW VS ?- Subie Swap Kit Recommendations
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: SmallCar VS RMW VS ?- Subie Swap Kit Recommendations Reply with quote

I have a 2003 EJ25 SOHC that I am planning to install in my 1991 Westy this winter and while I have perused many of the threads and used the search function to see if this topic has been covered previously, I am not having much success.

In short, what I am looking for is a recommendation or at the very least, reflections from those that have undertaken a Subaru installation using either the SmallCar or the RMW swap kit and whether they/you are happy with the choice of swap kits and rationale for choosing one over the other.

Currently, I am leaning towards RMW for the completeness of the kit and the fact that there appears to be minimal negative feedback on it - mostly positives. The SmallCar kit would be easier for me to source (minor benefit) and offers more of an 'a la carte' offering with respect to components, but some of the negative feedback is making me question this as a 'better' option. What I am seeking is the kit that offers the most complete, cleanest and most straightforward installation.

Any/all insights are greatly welcomed - thx in advance.
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: SmallCar VS RMW VS ?- Subie Swap Kit Recommendations Reply with quote

I'm in Langley, if you'd like to come over and see an RMW install, completed about a year ago.

Robyn
redriverhill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: SmallCar VS RMW VS ?- Subie Swap Kit Recommendations Reply with quote

Im in east van and did a small car mount with RJES bellhousing and input shaft.
If you want to check it out Pm me.

River Hill
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SmallCar VS RMW VS ?- Subie Swap Kit Recommendations Reply with quote

I installed a 2003 Suby 2.5 last year. I created by own kit based on what I thought was the best from each vendor.

RJES bellhousing <== highly recommended
    Small Car engine mount <== this works great
    Small Car coolant crossover manifold <== not my first choice but it works
    Burley oil pan <== modified suby pan
    RMW intake <== use the one without the cone filter
    Stan's header <== works great but I would not recommend for Syncros
    Small Car harness mods <== not first choice but was what was available at the time

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: SmallCar VS RMW VS ?- Subie Swap Kit Recommendations Reply with quote

Thx for the invites and insights to-date - greatly appreciated. I am hopefully touring Robyn's rig on Sunday and will continue to explore options.

Any insights on shipping RJES parts into North America is also welcomed.

Lastly, for reference as to plans, I will be retaining the automatic trans in my 1991, having it rebuilt and adding in a Peloquin LSD. Again, thanks.
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: SmallCar VS RMW VS ?- Subie Swap Kit Recommendations Reply with quote

The RJES bellhousing is for the VW manual transmission. It is not applicable to the automatic .
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: SmallCar VS RMW VS ?- Subie Swap Kit Recommendations Reply with quote

I’ve heard that RMW exhaust is vulnerable if you go off-road.
I do know that with the RMW mount on a Syncro you have to delete the Skid bars, thus the oilpan is vulnerable.
I realize OP has an automatic but this info is mostly for others following this thread.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: SmallCar VS RMW VS ?- Subie Swap Kit Recommendations Reply with quote

Thx Sodo - appreciate the insights - no plans for off-road travel with my rig - forest service roads at worst. Auto will likely be rebuilt as part of the swap and my driving habits are such that I am not anticipating hard stop-light launches that will strain the rest of the drive train - I have other vehicles to relieve that passion, lol.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: SmallCar VS RMW VS ?- Subie Swap Kit Recommendations Reply with quote

When you get the auto rebuilt have a Peloquin put in.

It is a torque biasing differential and will make your one rear wheel drive a true two wheel drive.... game changer on loose surfaces/bad weather.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: SmallCar VS RMW VS ?- Subie Swap Kit Recommendations Reply with quote

Maybe take a look at the Vanaru install pictures on his site and the samba gallery.
His kit isn't for sale to DIY customers but you can at least use some of his pictures for reference and...well food for thought at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SmallCar VS RMW VS ?- Subie Swap Kit Recommendations Reply with quote

pbrown wrote:
I installed a 2003 Suby 2.5 last year. I created by own kit based on what I thought was the best from each vendor.

I too created my kit - mainly thanks to pbrown. I am very happy with it! I regret going with the RJES reversed coolant manifold due to lack of temp sensor slot (for the VW one).

RJES bellhousing <== highly recommended
    Small Car engine mount <== this works great
    Outfront Motorsports oil pan <== modified suby pan
    Stan's header
    AutoVentures harness mods

coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: SmallCar VS RMW VS ?- Subie Swap Kit Recommendations Reply with quote

Thx for the continued insights - greatly appreciated.

Robyn (squeegee_boy) was kind enough to give me a tour of his impressive install in his Syncro this past weekend, which continues to have me leaning towards RMW. If 'skills' was located in the PNW, I would likely have him custom fab the install as his is the cleanest I have seen, but alas.....

Stay tuned...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: