Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Brake Shoes Wet With Gear Oil
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Brake Shoes Wet With Gear Oil Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
I drove a 64 eight years without slingers... Never really had an issue with good seals. Only had a small amount of gear oil residue that would cake up with brake dust near the seal edge that Id clean off once a year ..

IMO the drum slinger is a "just in case" part.

Right I hear you - I'm not sure what happened to make the other seals leak so bad. Could've been their installer (me!).

At any rate, the added peace of mind from knowing this won't happen again, at least not as easily, will be nice.

Ted
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Brake Shoes Wet With Gear Oil Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
Ovally wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Regards.

Many thanks Ovally, a picture is worth at least 1000 words!

Are those new drums that are being sold with the holes already drilled or did someone drill them after purchasing?

Ted

They are already drilled : 1949-1957 (also fits early 1958 Bugs, through chassis # 16173410)
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111501615
With the later drums (oil slingers through 1964) 1958-1967 Bug starting at chassis # 16173411, you have to drill the holes yourself.
Made in Italy or Germany.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111501615D
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111501615DGR

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Brake Shoes Wet With Gear Oil Reply with quote

Ok thanks, hopefully I'll get the holes drilled today and have it all buttoned back up and ready to drive by tomorrow at latest. Can't wait to see what good brakes feel like after driving around with oil-soaked ones for so long.

Ted
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: