Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Experience Drag Racing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Frenchroast, How does the app know the RPM's and torque?

Well, you plug in a lot of variables including tire size, gear ratios, final drive. The accelerometer must then measure the thrust and use all other variables (curb, passenger, cargo weight, drag cda, temp, air pressure, humidity) to calculate hp and torque. I don't have my tach installed yet but it looks like it starts measuring at the correct rpm if I'm doing the 2nd gear ratio to mph correctly. Based on my neighborhood speeder reader, my speedo is accurate.

One of the keys is to not set the min rpm too low so you are sure to be WOT when it starts measuring. I think that is what I was doing wrong. Down the road, I'd like to take it into a real dyno. Futrells and Matrix have dyno's and do audis and watercooleds. I guess it would be just as easy to hook a strap to an aircooled and just measure the hp and torque as long as the dyno doesn't require an obd hookup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

stevemariott wrote:
Sounds good. Let's keep an eye on the weather and we'll figure out another date.

Saturday 9/25 weather is looking good! I'm planning to go.

I got a cheap tach with a shift light but it's pretty jumpy even with a good ground. I've got all types of resistors and capacitors except the ones I need for a filter so will have to swing by the electronics shop tomorrow. Hopefully can get it working by Saturday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Sounds good, I’m in. I gotta do a handful of things to prep but I should be ready by Saturday.

67rustavenger, you in?
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Very nice ET's for sure.

Mid 13's is very respectable.

Anything less than a 2.0 60'time is doing great on street tires.

You can look at slicks, but that changes the game on your transaxle.

94mph tells me that you are running the car well down the track.
Seems like you have a handle on this thing.
Good lights, Consistent ET's..

You are setup to win....
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

stevemariott wrote:
Sounds good, I’m in. I gotta do a handful of things to prep but I should be ready by Saturday.

67rustavenger, you in?

Hell yes!
I too have a thing or two to do. But I have all of Saturday day to get stuff done.

Whoever gets there first. Save a couple of pit spots for the others! Very Happy

I'll be trailering my car there. Just in case. Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Ohio Tom, thank you, I appreciate it! I've been reading your posts for years.

67rustavenger, that sounds like a plan! Tell anyone you think might be interested to come on out!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Please post some videos , so that we can experience the thrill of racing where there are no strips.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Please post some videos , so that we can experience the thrill of racing where there are no strips.

I asked Xevin and Xatie to come along. Xevin will be our videographer. If he doesn't break my phone. Shocked

I'll see if I can entice a Dodge friend to bring his Satellite. That car is on a strict diet.
Carbon fiber hood, decklid, doors and bumpers. Bring the weight down to 2800lbs. I bet Stevemarriot can beat it!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

I asked Xevin and Xatie to come along. Xevin will be our videographer. If he doesn't break my phone. Shocked

No pressure! Shocked Hopefully it’s the only thing that breaks on the track Wink Laughing Maybe I should invite my mechanic friend to join us Think

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Oh, man i wish i could be there.. Sad

A guy with a 1776 and dual Kadrons needs a peashooter to race! Razz

What’s That Noise?!?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

We'd love to have ya here too! You are by far more than welcome any time you visit. In the dry months! Very Happy

We don't get many VW gatherings in these parts. So we are making due with the small circle of enthusiasts we have!

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Clatter wrote:

We'd love to have ya here too! You are by far more than welcome any time you visit. In the dry months! Very Happy

We don't get many VW gatherings in these parts. So we are making due with the small circle of enthusiasts we have!

That’s a bummer in your town 20 miles west of me doesn’t have many VW gatherings. Maybe you should actually drive over to my neck of the woods to gather with more VW enthusiasts. We do it frequently. You’ve been invited many times to all sorts of different VW gatherings.

Clatter from California (top) along with neena & D/A/N from Brooklyn have made it more times then you Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now what’s your excuse 67rustavenger? Sorry your hometown sucks for VWs. Maybe you should get out more. Laughing Wink

Looking forward to Saturday night racing and meeting up with some new people.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

It happened. And we had fun!

More to come tomorrow.

frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Videos!
First pass of the night was also my best ET and RT. I staged deep but wasn't ready and when I saw the lights starting, I just reacted. A rookie lesson in there somewhere.
https://youtu.be/1xCAT7Nj9nE

Another pass. That's 67rustavenger ahead of me. The mighty 67 was a match for the corvette.
https://youtu.be/2CSWcJ4PpJA

SteveMarriott made a final pass for the night and we all went to watch him.
https://youtu.be/rv2WHebBe0I

Xevin and Xatie also came out. A good time was had by all!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

That was a fun night of racing. Good to meet up with you all. I just sent 67rustavenger videos that Xatie took. I’m sure he’ll post them up latter on.
Hopefully we can make the next event. Xatie had a blast.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

So we had a great night of round robin racing.
Stevemarriot and Frenchroast did hot laps. I was taking a break between rounds to let the engine cool a bit. But not much!

I have to say that Steve's Dunebuggie is a very well put together car. Pictures don't do it justice!

Frenchroat's Beetle ran consistent 20's all night long. If we were bracket racing. His car would be a contender for the win. It was that good!

Steve and I were all over the place with lap times. My worst was a mid 15 and a personal best of 14.38. Thanks for the reminder on that time Steve!

Steve and I had traction issues all night. Steve's car would spin the tires every round. Mine wheel hopped the first two rounds before I got it somewhat under control.
In the video's below. You can hear Steve's car do a third gear chirp in the final race of the night.

A special thanks, goes out to Xatie. For recording videos and forwarding them to me this morning.

Sorry for the video quality. But the compression of forwarded videos. Don't upload well to YouTube.
But you get the idea of the fun that was had racing with friends on a Saturday night.

Frenchroast Saturday night drag race,

Link

Stevemarriot spanking me early,

Link

Stevemarriot spanking me again,

Link

Frenchroast getting roasted by an Audi,

Link

Stevemarriot's final race,

Link

I am soar as ever this morning. I need a better supporting drivers seat. My neck and back are a bit strained from all the racing. Very Happy

My car needs better engine compartment ventilation. The fan and carbs were pulling so much air in, that the engine compartment seal got pulled above the rear breast plate.

Will we do this again? Hell yes! It was a fun night.

jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Awesome!! Its great to see people out there running there cars. No matter its the fastest thing in the world or the slowest. Its fun to race anything.

That 14.3 is a very respectable time 67rusty VW Logo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Awesome!! Its great to see people out there running there cars. No matter its the fastest thing in the world or the slowest. Its fun to race anything.

That 14.3 is a very respectable time 67rusty VW Logo

Thanks!
It was fun for sure,
A couple things need to get sorted before the next time out.

Primarily, engine compartment ventilation. The carbs and fan were pulling so much air. That the engine compartment seal, got pulled above the breast plate.
In the second race. I lost power when I changed into 4th gear. Likely the engine was starving for air at that point. That was the first time I have experienced that happen.
Also, the engine compartment is covered with oil mist. Likely a condition of the lack of ventilation, too.

stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Thanks for the meetup frenchroast, 67rustavenger, Xevin, and Xatie! It was a pleasure meeting you all and hanging out! Thank you all for sharing the great videos!!

In the pits:

frenchroast getting after it:

frenchroast and 67rustavenger:

67rustavenger and me earlier in the evening:

67rustavenger and me later in the evening:

I made more rookie mistakes this time, but made 9(!) passes total, with my best pass being a 13.74 - this matched my best time from a month ago. I had made some small changes to the car since the last time out, and I need more seat time to drop my 60 foot times. After a few passes I dropped my rear tire pressure down to 18, and then to 16 lbs. Traction is an issue, but I had the epiphany this morning that I should just try leaving at a lower RPM. I clearly have more to figure out.

I look forward to the next time out! There are a couple of Saturdays in October before the weather changes too much - keep it in mind!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Nice pics. Thank your wife for those!

Frenchroast and I did win against you, at least once, each!
You red lighted against us! A technicality, But we'll take the win where we can! Very Happy

If you get your traction issues sorted. You will be in the low 13's. If not very close to the 12's.
Your car is a legit race car.

I need to get my traction issues fixed too. Sadly, with my exhaust. I can't run the standard traction bar under the engine. My mufflers interfere with the mounting points. Dammit!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: