Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Northern Virginia - Mechanics
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WahooStu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Northern Virginia - Mechanics Reply with quote

I'm the new owner of a 1978 Transporter in the Northern VA area. Any recommendations out there for service? I'm in 22308.

Thanks! This is a 20 year dream come true!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Virginia - Mechanics Reply with quote

When you own one of these ancient rigs you either get dirty hands and a slow accumulation of knowledge of you get quickly drained pockets.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Virginia - Mechanics Reply with quote

WahooStu wrote:
I'm the new owner of a 1978 Transporter in the Northern VA area. Any recommendations out there for service? I'm in 22308.

September 2021 means 2022 models of cars are being made today
minus 1978 which is really the 1978 model which started August 1977, so 2022 - 1977 = 44 years old. Some guy who was working on these as a 26 year old in 1978 is now 70 years old and retired. His buddy who was 40 in 1985 working on them is now 67 and retired.

Lots of those folks however are here on TheSamba.

Best to buy a book named Bentley and start learning how to work on your own bus. Even the lists here on TheSamba of Air Cooled shops is outdated since many of those shops went under in the 2008 - 2012 crash.

Welcome and enjoy your bus!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Virginia - Mechanics Reply with quote

Unless your mechanically inclined and willing to learn everything about your bus, you will be spending tons of cash and being frustrated with the results. As the other guys were saying, not too many guys left that could give you a fair job for a price. If you can find one, pay him whatever he asks to get it right. Otherwise you take it to joe shmuck garage, he charges you a ton, and its still not right. Because he doesn’t KNOW these rigs.

Your best alternative is to join several vw clubs in the area, go to as many gatherings as they offer and chat up who is there. Most will be owner hobbiests, but there will be a couple that will be quietly in the wings, eager to take your money for their service and knowledge.

PAY THEM!

Cue the bears.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Virginia - Mechanics Reply with quote

Quote:
Cue the bears.

done

there is a bolt on the bottom of a 1978 engine that holds the oil strainer, DO NOT under any circumstances allow you or anyone else to tighten it more than 9 ft lbs. If someone just goes by feel they will destroy the engine.

Tcash wrote:
Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

73-79 NEWBIE

Tcash wrote:
Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

Tcash wrote:
Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

Link

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Virginia - Mechanics Reply with quote

Congratulations and welcome! Post some pictures when you can.

The Bears speak truth.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Virginia - Mechanics Reply with quote

Not any I know of in the DMV area. I do all my work in the street or sometimes a buddy lets me work in his garage. See thread on my 77 bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=735669&highlight=

What do you need help with? I might be able to give you a couple pointers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Virginia - Mechanics Reply with quote

WahooStu wrote:

Nice looking bus. And looks like it’s driving. Why does it need mechanical work already?

Photos from his gallery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WahooStu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Virginia - Mechanics Reply with quote

Thanks to those who provided helpful insight! Thanks for the laughs for those who assumed I don't have intention of working on it myself and assuming I was just going to farm it all out.

Regardless of how much (or little) I do myself, it's always good to have an experienced expert on hand -- and that's all I'm looking for. But thanks for helping me with my van, I mean bus.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Virginia - Mechanics Reply with quote

Show us some engine pix and we can tell you how much de-molestation is needed. Hopefully still running the FI system ?
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Virginia - Mechanics Reply with quote

WahooStu wrote:
Thanks to those who provided helpful insight! Thanks for the laughs for those who assumed I don't have intention of working on it myself and assuming I was just going to farm it all out.

Regardless of how much (or little) I do myself, it's always good to have an experienced expert on hand -- and that's all I'm looking for. But thanks for helping me with my van, I mean bus.

Let us know what kind of info you're looking for. Like I mentioned, there's nobody or mechanic I know that works on these rigs in the DMV. Most of us in in the area work on them ourselves. I'm happy to give advice or point you in the right direction if you need help.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Virginia - Mechanics Reply with quote

WahooStu wrote:
But thanks for helping me with my van, I mean bus.

That’s the spirit!

We’re a wicked bunch on here sometimes.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Northern Virginia - Mechanics Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
WahooStu wrote:
But thanks for helping me with my van, I mean bus.

That’s the spirit!

We’re a wicked bunch on here sometimes.

Wink
CDRINF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Virginia - Mechanics Reply with quote

I used to live in Arlington and used these guys for my 71 Bus when the work exceeded my capability. A nice family run business. https://www.foreigncarservicealexandria.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: