Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hockeystick oil vs grease?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yannvanh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I am currently doing a straight axle swap on my 65 splitbus
When i took off the nosecone on my splitty transmission i saw it was all oil that was in there:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But when i took off the nosecone on my beetle transmission i saw it was all grease and no oil:

Everything is greasy in the beetle gearbox:

did VW changed it after some years?
Is this normal and can i just fill it with the correct oil?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

no vw did not switch to grease . Confused not normal . use normal gear lube.
was there any gear oil in it? does not look like it. too clean. odd.
looks like it was re-built greased up and not run? that's a new one.

Steve.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desertwrx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

That middle photo looks like brand new grease was put on it for the photo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

It is not uncommon to have a builder use grease on the main bearing since not a lot of gear lube gets to the nosecone.
Yannvanh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

I bought it from a guy which didn't know the condition it was in.. (he bought it in a clean up sale)
I bought 3 gearboxes from him so i think i have got myself a rebuild one,
Nothing is worn, there was no oil in it and the grease looks like brand new indeed..

But no what? Can i just fill it wil oil and wil the grease an oil 'mix'?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yannvanh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

Not a good pic but here you can see that the pinion was also full af grease:

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

That's an old trick to quiet a gear box noise Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

I would imagine the whole gear assemblies internally are grease coated too...

You can reassemble, add gear oil and run it, the gear oil will eventually break down the grease... But all will still be lubricated .... I would be inclined to change gear oil after the first 500 miles or so in any case.... Real question may be the quality of the actual rebuild and not the grease...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Yannvanh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

I paid 230$ for 3 gearboxes including axles and tubes so if it breaks down i still got 2 left Very Happy
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

I'm surprised MCMSCott hasn't chimed in to mention what kind of Hack puts grease in their trans.

No grease. oil only.....
Grease will get throw off real fast never to return.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

Maybe it was shipped in assembly grease, and expected to be filled with oil by the installer?

Hopefully? Confused

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Yannvanh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Maybe it was shipped in assembly grease, and expected to be filled with oil by the installer?

Hopefully? Confused

Yeah that's what i think also.. but i realy dunno what to do right now,
Fill it with oil and hope they will mix?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

Fill it, drive it, then change it? Confused

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Fill it, drive it, then change it? Confused

This is what I'd do!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Yannvanh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

Okay ill just give it a go!

Thanks guys
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

Cross your fingers, clench your teeth, and get it up to speed! Very Happy

Get all that goop mixed in at high speed, and then drain it. I can't think it would hurt anything so long as you have plenty of gear oil in there.

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

Now that I'm starting to dig into transaxles it would be fun to see the results of an experiment like this.

I'd imagine if you filled it with oil to the level plug with the grease there like it is,
That the level would go up as the grease dissolved into the oil.
Pull the level plug before you drain it, as I'm curious to see..! Very Happy

Also,
Would be fun to only put like a hundred miles on then pull the nose cone.
See if there is enough oil to the mainshaft bearing to wash the grease away..

Bet you the mainshaft bearing would be the last place where oil would dissolve the grease.

People do this kind of thing with motors all the time.
Why not to a transaxle?

What’s That Noise?!?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockeystick oil vs grease? Reply with quote

Looks like moly grease.
Moly grease is good for gears, acceptable for precison ball bearings but not ideal, potentially bad for syncros.

Packing bearings with grease is often a good idea, but be careful to use the right kind of grease. needs to be compatible with the oil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: