Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:
Have you thought about using one of the hookups for a coax pass through? You could probably double up solar and coax in one box

the thought had crossed my mind, maybe when i switch to the Shur Flo faucet and eliminate the city water hookup...

That's what I did with ours. Drilled out the hookup and perfectly fit the sae plug. Warm up the plastic though so it doesn't crack
bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

Made this using a piece of off cut 1/2" acrylic. Cut a tongue on one edge that fits into the window groove and a groove on the other edge that the window fits into. Finally a diagonal cut for the wires. Works great, easily undone.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Erik
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

i pulled the power steering pump and reservoir while i still have the engine out. they were both covered an a heavy layer of yuck. the hose banjos were missing the copper washers on the pump side... someone goofed so i decided to fix it all.

lots and lots of time in the hot tank/ultrasonic cleaner. took a full day of soaking to get all the caked on dirt/ATF hard shell off.

the reservoir came out great. took some doing to get the black cap off, the oil filter strap wrench with the reservoir in the bench vise did the trick.

the power steering pump was another full day of soaking and scraping and wire brush to get the caked on dirt/ATF off. this is before the rebuild, pulling that seal was harder than it should have been.

all back together and ready to install.

BiWerks Design, LLC

Last edited by dabaron on Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

I've been looking for winter projects, this looks like a good one, thanks for posting.
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

Was getting the shakes for an update on this thread! Haha

Looks great!
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

had a burnt exhaust valve i detailed in another thread, adding to this thread for those following along...

#1 exhaust valve burnt, second time it happened on a second head. i believe i found the issue, the lifter was getting stuck in the case holding the valveopen (based on the burnishing of the lifter face and the difficulty in removing the lifter). i installed a spare lifter, replaced the retainer clip on the intake lifter, sourced a VW exhaust valve from one of my OG heads, lapped all four valves on the head and then reinstalled the head.

BiWerks Design, LLC

Last edited by dabaron on Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

while the engine was out, i decided to make some upgrades to the oil pressure and temp sender install. i was using the oil filter sandwich but was not a fan of the location. it lowered the filter and the senders i felt were too exposed.

i won a Mansi oil sender relocation kit at Vanagons in the Valley and decided to go that route for the pressure sender. i opted for the Go Westy relief valve plug with NPT threads for the oil temp sender.

i also replaced the OG push rod shields with Go Westy steel replacements. being able to remove the shield without removing the exhaust hardware is a great feature. i will want to inspect the hose for leaking on occasion and this makes that easy. being less expensive than VW replacements with a better design is a win in my book.

BiWerks Design, LLC

Last edited by dabaron on Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

it was lovely weather this past weekend, perfect for installing the now ready 2.1 WBX.

i decided to buy an engine hoist. i should have bought one the first time i pulled the engine. makes handling the engine from the Westy to the workbench and back easy and it saves my back a tremendous amount of agony.

i started using a floor jack with a sheet of plywood on it to raise and lower the engine into position. it took me all of 5 minutes to move the engine off the hoist and roll it into place on the transmission.

the fuel pump has been making an awful noise so i decided i should install the one my buddy Eddie (Destructo) gave me for my b-day in Oct 2020. i replaced the two mounts and made sure i had the wiring correct. so much quieter now.

the engine started up and ran for about two minutes and then stalled out. i struggled to re-start it. maybe the battery was dead? i put the battery on the charger for the night and decided to revisit things in the morning.

with a fully charged battery, the engine started right up. other than lifter noise, it seemed to be running well. i restarted the engine a few times and then decided to get some compression numbers for the #1 & #2 cylinders, just to make sure they are where they were prior to the burnt valve.

after setting up the tester on #1 i turned the key and i heard a click and nothing else. crap. tried it a few more times, got the engine to spin sorta once. out came the hammer and i pounded on the starter... almost got it to turn the engine... almost.

with the starter on the bench it was pretty clear it had given up the ghost. i had noticed a slower crank but i thought that was due to the battery draining down while doing the initial testing while diagnosing the burnt valve.

after some researching and asking around, i decided on the TDI starter with the Westy Ventures adapter. a little pricey compared to a reman'd Bosch, but given the quality issues with those, i think long term this will save me money.

i purchased the TDI starter from FCP Euro... as Dave O says "They are my new go to for parts that can break. Lifetime warranty on everything they sell. And good prices and free shipping over $50."

BiWerks Design, LLC
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

Nice work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

Too bad about the starter, but crap happens……

Better it happens in your driveway than off on a trip somewhere.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

i tore the starter apart, two of the brushes were no longer connected to the braids. i soldered them back and reassembled the motor. it now spins when power is applied. unfortunately, the solenoid is not actuating. bummer, would have been nice to have this as a spare.

the TDI starter will be here tomorrow, the adapter has shipped and should be here at the end of the week. i am also expect 2 pairs of CV joints to arrive this week.

looking forward to a busy weekend Smile

BiWerks Design, LLC
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

you'll love the TDI starter. nice job working thru the heads. does the lifter slide in the bore now? interesting how ratio rockers work against pushing the lifter back down in the bore. what sort of tappet adjusters are you running? the elephant foot (feet?) adjusters really do a nice job of sliding across the valve stem face vs gouging a channel.

i cleaned my PS reservior when i did my engine refurb. took an amazing amount of solvent and tooth brush work to bring back what looked like an all-black container.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
what sort of tappet adjusters are you running?

the adjusters that came with the engine, stock. i had thought about getting the Go Westy lash cap set, but they were sold out.

the cam and lifters used for the rebuild came from Dave's donor engine, but i used the tin top's case because Dave's had 2 broken head studs. the replacement lifter i just put in was originally the #1 exhaust valve in the tin top engine.

BiWerks Design, LLC
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

I hear there is a subie out there for a good price…

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I hear there is a subie out there for a good price…

i'm not done with the WBX. maybe in a few years, when the FB25 engine kit is available Smile

BiWerks Design, LLC
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

the starter arrived on Tuesday, so i've been cleaning up the workshop and getting everything ready for a speedy installl. the OG starter is much larger than the Bosch 425x i'm installing and thus the need for the spacer/adapter.

Ian, my USPS letter carrier, dropped off a package from Mr. Mullendore...

the spacer/adapter is a very nice piece of machining.

it installs very easily into the bell housing with the provided bolt and re-using the long bolt on the top that doubles as an engine mount.

making the wiring changes was straight forward and i had the starter installed in about 20 minutes.

ok, now what was i doing before the starter gave up the ghost... oh that's right, i wanted a compression number on #1 cylinder to see how my valve job went.

it's right back to where it was when i put these heads on back in the spring, 133 PSI.

BiWerks Design, LLC
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

since one of the CV boots was torn, i decided i needed to replace them. after removing and inspecting the CV joints i decided i needed to replace them.

the OG axles splines are in good shape.

i picked up four GKN/Lobro CV joints, only one was assembled incorrectly... it was a quick fix.

the CV joint does not simply slide on, glad i have a floor press!

axles ready to install, i opted for the GKN boots. why spend more if FCP will replace them?

passenger side went in easily

i wrestled with the driver's side until i wised up. i had to chase the stub axle threads, one was pretty beat, which is why i was struggling.

both the floor press and the tap & die set were purchases i thought i would rarely use... i'm glad i have these tools.

took the Westy for a test drive... the high pressure power steering hose is leaking. replacement ordered from Brickwerks.

Vanagons.

BiWerks Design, LLC
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

[quote=“dabaron”]axles ready to install, i opted for the GKN boots. why spend more if FCP will replace them? [/quote]

Because the VW boots are a nicer material and fit more snug on the axle shaft.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Because the VW boots are a nicer material and fit more snug on the axle shaft.

i hooked a BIG one Laughing

BiWerks Design, LLC
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The mania deepens: 1991 Full Westy rescue Reply with quote

ordered the high pressure power steering hose Sunday evening from Brickwerks, it arrived just before lunch today (Wednesday).

installed and the fluid topped off about 35 minutes after receiving the parcel.

that was easy (and expensive!).

BiWerks Design, LLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 26

Jump to: