Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hard to go to 1st and 2nd.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Hard to go to 1st and 2nd. Reply with quote

1988 Westfalia manual transmission 2.1L.

I recently replaced the bushings and rubber boots in the shifter rod at the transmission. Also replaced the transmission oil. No shavings on drain plug.

The shifter is hard to put mostly in 1st and 2nd. I thought this was the shifter boots on the rod itself (on both sides of the bearing) and was expecting them to soften with time but it is still hard to shift. Once it is in gear it drives fine.

It feels like the bushing next to the transmission ("Inside the 2 boots) is not lubed but it definitely is lubed with that white grease.

Any ideas?

Video below from when I finished the job back in April.

Link
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to go to 1st and 2nd. Reply with quote

This night be helpful...
https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=178
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to go to 1st and 2nd. Reply with quote

I’m a big fan of disconnecting the linkage, grabbing the linkage ball on the transmission, and feeling how the gears shift by hand. It’s a good way to affirm the problem is in the linkage, then you can go from there.

-Rob
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to go to 1st and 2nd. Reply with quote

The bushings may be misaligned. I think they can be moved around somewhat for alignment.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to go to 1st and 2nd. Reply with quote

Somewhere there’s a TSB about the proper transmission oil fill level to prevent hard shifting. I cannot find a link right now though.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to go to 1st and 2nd. Reply with quote

Mark your gearshift lever plate's current position - then put the stick into third gear and loosen the bolts a little bit.

If the plate self-adjusts, tighten the plate and try the gears again.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to go to 1st and 2nd. Reply with quote

I had the same issue. Also with the boot over the cup at the top of the linkage. Instead of struggling with it 8 more times I just removed them. Shifts great. If I have to clean it once a year that takes 10 minutes and I'm not going to stress about it.
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to go to 1st and 2nd. Reply with quote

anyone have tips on a pre-83 adjustment? took a drive yesterday and 1st gear is now impossible.
the bentley is.... difficult to read on this one

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: