Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Project - 1974 Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

Here's a link for BAT (Bring a Trailer) Karmann Ghia Auctions. There's a yellow 74 coupe up for auction now with great pictures. But scroll down and you can see all past auctions. Just select the car you want to see and all the photos from these past auctions can be viewed. This is a great resource for restoring cars or even to get ideas for doing mods.

https://bringatrailer.com/volkswagen/karmann-ghia/

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

Thanks; I subscribe to BAT and follow allot of their auctions; will check this one out, thanks again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

Attempting to track down a good schematic - a drawing showing the 1974 Engine Compartment and labeling all the components. Reason why: There's that round, looks like the MC Bag I have on my HD, in the compartment area, hoses go into it - What Is It? Any good sites here I can find a good Engine Schematic? Thanks.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/74ghia/page51.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

Thanks for the web site but trying to find out what that black tank is; I'll take a pic and post it, thanks again
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

I think you are asking about the charcoal canister near the engine? If so, here's a link with a discussion and pictures. There is another similar expansion canister in the front trunk which is for capturing fuel fumes and vents to outside of the car.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=268218&highlight=vapor+canister

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

This discussion you sent me to was great - identified the part and great discussion as to its need or not need. Appreciate it, thanks. But if anybody knows a good site where it shows the Ghia engine and identifies the components, where all the hoses go etc. I would appreciate it - since my Ghia does need re-constructed and I have bins of parts. Thanks.
Abigdumkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

Do you have a Bently manual? That's gonna have your best documented descriptions you're looking for. If you need pics, my 74 is bone stock original. Mine is Bahia red, black leatherette interior, manual. The only difference is a previous owner put a back seat in and that bugs me to no end. Lemme know what you need a pic of and I'll see what I can help with.
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

Whatever pics you can send me would be great, interior - dash - engine compartment - front bonnet area (open) - side mirrors. Like I stated earlier this Ghia was all apart, parts in boxes - body work was done, engine and drive train never taken out but she needs put back together and if I had pics of an original it would help - I'll need to get a one of those manuals, thanks
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

OK; before I get the Ghia down to RS for the wiring; and before I decide on "Original Seats" or "Other Type" seats I figured I'd begin to get the interior (inside) ready for the "New"

The "Pans" are in excellent condition - they had what appeared to be the original tar paper cover ? - It was on fairly strong so I had to scrape it off.

You'll see in the pics I went down to TIPs (Canfield Ohio Classic Restoration Supply Store - well known for their Sand Blasting Units) - Picked up some cleaner and paint for the pans.

Check it out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

One side done, move on to the other
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

Solid original pans are a gift from the gods.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

Yes; I was a little surprised that they are as solid as they are, but very pleased. When I began to scrape the was I'm assuming was the original tar type paper off I thought for sure that there would be a spot or two where that scraper pushed through but nope, solid as can be. Laughing
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

Drivers Side - just finished the Drivers Side pan area - that tar papers is a bear to get off but they look solid

Q. What is the best covering to put on, pans and up against the inside front prior to installing carpet?

I used some reflective, sticky furnace type covering for a Bug, got it at Home Depot, but attempting to make this Ghia somewhat original - don't want to use what was on there - the Tar Paper, or should?
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

Drivers Side

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

I bought the felt mat carpet underlayment that Airhead sells for about $75. I wanted to waterproof them, so I used a gallon bucket of rubberized roofing patch from Lowe’s and a chip brush to coat both sides of the mats then wrapped them in plastic paint tarp. Set them out to dry and harden for about a week then glued them down. They have nice give for your feet (I use the rubber mats Airhead sells) and deaden the sound. All for about $100.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

Wow; that's an interesting trick; I'll have to read it a few more times to let it sink in; thanks.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

A lot of people, me included, used a product called Dynamat or FatMat. It's got a rubbery sticky coating on one side and reflective material on the other. Used for sound deadening. Just one idea, though Braukuche's set up sounds like an interesting project for sure!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

Haven't posted for a few weeks, been working on getting the back shop ready for the Ghia once the wiring harness is installed (at the shop - no rush - no room for it now anyway).

I posted a few pics of the garage and she is coming along. While waiting for the "Turkey" (today is Thanks Giving) thought I'd review some of my past post.

This one is questioning "what to lay if anything on the floor pans before the carpet is installed"?

In some of my past "Backyard Restorations" I've laid reflective, sticky furnace pipe covering and even coated the pans with a "Rubberized Coating" (brush on) which I though laid down and great "Water Barrier" - So: once again I ask:

1. Should I put anything down or leave the pans bare (just some paint which I showed in a few post).

2. Give it a good "Rubberized Coating", then carpet?

3. Use the "Reflective - Sticky" roll (get it at any Big Box store?

4. Use some VW supplier "Underlay Material"?

Got some great ideas, suggestions before, thought I'd ask again. Thanks and "Happy Thanks Giving"
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1974 Ghia Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving!

I used Rattlemat, same stuff as Dynamat: https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22963807-1902.html

I put this stuff everywhere. Added a few pounds to the vehicle, but when I close my doors it does not sound like a tin can!

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: