Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fine tuning shift linkage on 84 Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Fine tuning shift linkage on 84 Vanagon Reply with quote

84 westy just replaced trans and wanting to know how to fine tune the shift linkage. I can shift into all 4 gears and reverse, I just feel like it could shift a little better. What would be the best way to fine tune it?
I did the 23 mm block thing seemed to work fine and adjusted at the joint. The shifter sits in the middle in neutral leaning on the 3/4 gear side. Goes into 1 st smooth. 2nd and 3rd go in no problem but they could be better. Gonna bleed the new slave cylinder again tonight just to make sure its good.
So what’s the best way to fine tune it ??
Mahalo
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fine tuning shift linkage on 84 Vanagon Reply with quote

If you can find all the gears, I don’t think the linkage is your problem. Changing to a different gear oil can change shift feel. It may also be a matter of breaking in the rebuild. One other thing to check is if the shifting is different when the engine is off. If so, it would indicate a dragging clutch or pilot bearing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fine tuning shift linkage on 84 Vanagon Reply with quote

Clutch is new and everything from behind the flywheel forward is either new or has been machined. It shifts fine just wondering if it can shift just a tad better
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fine tuning shift linkage on 84 Vanagon Reply with quote

Consider upgrade to BigShot shifter, there is such a difference, shorter travel, smoother more solid overall. All components front and back should also be replaced.. No more worries, in that area at least. It's well worth it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fine tuning shift linkage on 84 Vanagon Reply with quote

If you filled the box with GL-5 oil the synchros can be instantly damaged. Don't really know what happens but it seems the Gl-5 oil somehow alters/degrades the coating so the tranny will not shift correctly again until the synchros are once more replaced.

You could make yourself several spacer blocks of varying width and see if a slight readjustment of the shift rod helps. Try readjusting the reverse lockout plate as well.
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fine tuning shift linkage on 84 Vanagon Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If you filled the box with GL-5 oil the synchros can be instantly damaged. Don't really know what happens but it seems the Gl-5 oil somehow alters/degrades the coating so the tranny will not shift correctly again until the synchros are once more replaced.

Wow! This is a pretty dark reply. Hard to imagine the wrong oil causing instant damage. I did some research and no doubt, GL4 is recommended for manual transmissions, but I didn’t see any mention of instant damage. Can you elaborate on why you would say that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fine tuning shift linkage on 84 Vanagon Reply with quote

kaalualu wrote:
Consider upgrade to BigShot shifter, there is such a difference, shorter travel, smoother more solid overall. All components front and back should also be replaced.. No more worries, in that area at least. It's well worth it.

I did this three weeks ago and absolutely love it.
Van shifts precisely now, for what it is, make no mistake I’m not suggesting it now shifts like a modern stick but compared to original shifting? I much prefer the Big Shot. Also I rebuilt the linkage assembly using GW’s rebuild parts.

YRMV

Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi

Last edited by 9.5isCanadian on Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fine tuning shift linkage on 84 Vanagon Reply with quote

wcdennis wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Wow! This is a pretty dark reply. Hard to imagine the wrong oil causing instant damage. I did some research and no doubt, GL4 is recommended for manual transmissions, but I didn’t see any mention of instant damage. Can you elaborate on why you would say that?

A road I have traveled more than once. Sad
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fine tuning shift linkage on 84 Vanagon Reply with quote

Can't tell from your post whether or not you replaced the bushings in the shifter. If not, it can definitely help with vagueness. Go Westy sells a kit:

https://www.gowesty.com/product/-/3368/shifter-fix-kit-?v=
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fine tuning shift linkage on 84 Vanagon Reply with quote

Yes I’ve replaced everything from the shifter on back to the trans about a year and a half ago. So everything is fairly fresh. I bled the clutch slave again last night and I think that helped a little. The pedal feels better. I got rid of the rubber line and put a go westy braided one in.
Mahalo
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fine tuning shift linkage on 84 Vanagon Reply with quote

Well it sounds like you are at the pinnacle of shifter heaven. Just drive it, get used to it, it may be as good as it gets.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fine tuning shift linkage on 84 Vanagon Reply with quote

If you have the desire, you can do several different oil changes to see which one works best with your trans.

After 3 oil changes with Pennzoil Syncromesh my trans shifts fairly smooth now. It's not slick by any means and I do a little rev match as I pass neutral on upshifts, but I'm not worried I'm hurting the trans when I'm shifting.

Experiment!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: