Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 rear brake reoval help
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kymar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: 71 rear brake reoval help Reply with quote

Ok, I give up. Been at this for a few hours now and cant figure out how to remove the last part (backing plate) of the brakes. It looks like the whole thing should come off without remmoving ebrake line, but something is stopping it near where the brake pad adjusting nut is at. I thought it was a screw, but it looks more like a rivet. How the hell do I get this thing off?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 rear brake reoval help Reply with quote

the adjuster block is a part of the backing plate and is riveted on with a really heavy steel rivets (and or spot welds). The factory then ran a bead of sealer around the axle flange. the whole backing plate can be held on with it pretty strong.

If yo use a late 251 backing plate you have to also use the new style axle spacers or the drums will rub.

Last edited by SGKent on Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westfalia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 rear brake reoval help Reply with quote

Kymar wrote:
Ok, I give up. Been at this for a few hours now and cant figure out how to remove the last part (backing plate) of the brakes. It looks like the whole thing should come off without remmoving ebrake line, but something is stopping it near where the brake pad adjusting nut is at. I thought it was a screw, but it looks more like a rivet. How the hell do I get this thing off?

like SGK said the adjuster is part of the backing plate. your backing plate is stuck on a dowel. see pic below of backing plate removed and you will see the dowel i am talking about.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 rear brake reoval help Reply with quote

That 10 mm locating dowel is damn tight, and it tends to rust solid. A lengthy soak with penetrating fluid
and then pounding in (towards the bearing housing, so as not to bend the backing plate)
with a heavy hammer and big punch is what has worked for me. Perhaps heating with a torch could help.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 rear brake reoval help Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
That 10 mm locating dowel is damn tight, and it tends to rust solid. A lengthy soak with penetrating fluid
and then pounding in (towards the bearing housing, so as not to bend the backing plate)
with a heavy hammer and big punch is what has worked for me. Perhaps heating with a torch could help.
keep in mind that VW SEALED the backing plate to the flange hub with a bead of RTV type sealer. That sealer will bind the backing plate to the flange. So will the dowel.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 rear brake reoval help Reply with quote

You can see that it has to slide over that hub so wire brush that rust off then gentle tapping with a ball peen hammer near the hub will help break the seal.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 rear brake reoval help Reply with quote

I left the backing plate attached to the adjuster block when I rebuilt the brakes on my ‘71.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 rear brake reoval help Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I left the backing plate attached to the adjuster block when I rebuilt the brakes on my ‘71.

Good thing, because they were welded together at the factory.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 71 rear brake reoval help Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
richparker wrote:

Good thing, because they were welded together at the factory.

We’ll, that explains why I could get them separated. I had a bunch of guys posting on that build thread and no one brought that up. That is useful information, thanks!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Kymar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 71 rear brake reoval help Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Been busy working and just now getting back to this. So, Im confused (bear in mind I not a mechanic and kinda new to this, but I learn quickly). Is it a dowel or a rivet? when I think of rivet, both ends are flattened closed. I dont want to start pounding on this and completely destroy it. I would like to get this off to replace the wheel bearings and to sand all rust. The whole thing is loose, its only the dowel/rivet stopping in fro comming off. Been having a hell of a time finding new ones. Like I said, Im a beginner but enjoy learning and doing things myself. This is the only thing stopping me from actually taking her for the first spin around the block.

Cheers! And I know there will be many more questions coming in the future. Its definitely a project bus.

Kyle
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 71 rear brake reoval help Reply with quote

from samba gallery

both. The dowel centers and holds the backing place in position, and the bolts hold it to the hub. The rivets and welds hold the adjuster block to the backing plate. The adjuster block is part of the backing plate. The dowel sits in a hole in the backing plate/adjuster, and the other part of it in the hub. Sometimes the dowel comes out with the backing plate and sometimes it stays in the hub.

Kymar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 71 rear brake reoval help Reply with quote

OK, I was wondering if it might be both. But your picture is completely different from mine. Yours show the two bolt holes, and what looks like two rivets below that with a hole (which I assume is for the dowel) below that. Mine only has the 2 bolt holes and the 1 rivet underneath.

Edit - OK, got it. Decided to just give it a try and whacked on it with the sledge from the back and it came right off within 5 whacks. Also whacked my head in the process. I think it a sign I needed some sense knocked into me.

Thanks,
Kyle
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 rear brake reoval help Reply with quote

The dowels are VW #N 13 220 2, for what it's worth. 10mm diam x 20 mm length, although the
exact length isn't all that critical. They have rounded ends.

You can even get 'em in stainless steel, which would presumably avoid any future
rusted-on problems.

Here's some: https://www.mcmaster.com/dowel-pins/diameter~10mm/

There might even be some in the classified section here on thesamba.com.

Kymar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 71 rear brake reoval help Reply with quote

OK, heres my latest holdup. Trying to get the hub off. I swear this thing is like a Russian nesting doll. I got the hub unbolted, but it is attached to the axle part still. There are a number of Alan head bolts holding it in. When I try to unscrew them it just turns the axle. Am I doing something wrong here?

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 71 rear brake reoval help Reply with quote

How do you expect the hub splined shaft to pull out thru the
carrier with all that crap wrapped around it? It's a tight fit, and
sometimes requires a light press or tapping with a mallet.

The socket-head bolts hold the CV joint to the hub flange. You
should have undone those first and just swung the joint & axle out of the way.

I suggest you get a Bentley service manual and look into the relevant sections.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 rear brake reoval help Reply with quote

you might want to get a Bentley and start studying it first. Not only should the axle and CV have been removed first, but the hub marked against the spring plate so you didn't change the wheel alignment. That is why the holes are oval. Good luck finding someone who still knows how to align the rears of VW buses. I'd put the pieces back together before you lose the witness marks for good, and then read the manual before proceeding. But that is just me. I just hate making more work for myself than is needed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: