Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front seat bottom cushions and vinyl repair
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Front seat bottom cushions and vinyl repair Reply with quote

Here is a better view of my interior. The reason I originally asked about this is because my seats are in overall very good shape for their age and I think it would be a bad choice to take them out for that one slit that is circled in yellow.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Front seat bottom cushions and vinyl repair Reply with quote

Would you do anything for that one spot?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Front seat bottom cushions and vinyl repair Reply with quote

Ok... I've repaired vinyl. I did enough times and failed enough and then was eventually finally able to actually get it almost perfect to where it was basically invisible unless you got real close and really studied the repair.

I will tell you this. That repair is an extremely hard one to make, for two main reasons.

A) that part of the seat flexes everytime it gets sit on and as you drive and bounce around on the seat.
B) the color is actually two colors. Almost like pixels or something. Its brown with tiny black dots. If it were a solid color that would make it much easier.

It's a complicated process but I'll try to sum it up. This is how the pros do it. It's a little different depending on the damage, so sometimes different glue is used for a smaller crack, different type of backing, etc. Technique might change slightly also.

-Glue a backing piece on
-Fill crack with vinyl repair compound
-Texturize/blending/surface prep
-Color and detail using vinyl dye/paint

It's very hard to do without it getting out of hand.
My number one piece of advice is TOO KEEP THE REPAIR SMALL!!!

It will be a huge project if you want it to look good... it's easy to make it look terrible. I'd practice 20 times before. You also need to be able to color match vinyl paint and then you'll need to hand paint the black dots after. You need a miniture craft iron. Those vinyl repair "kits" are not great as to get a flawless repair you pretty much need to paint/dye it at the end to blend it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: