Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shimmy While Braking After Installing New Wheels
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Shimmy While Braking After Installing New Wheels Reply with quote

Oh, and definitely keep an eye on your scrub radius. A little bit of scrub can be a good thing, but too much can cause the difficulties described by Mrgoodtunes above. Somewhere around 4 cm is probably good.

When I converted my drums to discs, it kicked the scrub radius out to about 6.3 cm. I feel this much scrub improved stability, especially in the corners, but also made the steering feel a touch heavy and prone to bump steer when the suspension was loaded. It was a fair trade, but only just.

I imagine those 25mm adapters and rims will add a considerable amount of scrub, which might be tolerable now, but if you ever upgrade to discs, you might not be happy with the result.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Shimmy While Braking After Installing New Wheels Reply with quote

It's because the front end is so light, When I put 8 spoke mags with 70 series tires on my 78 vert I had the same problems and cured it by putting two bags of cement (still in the bag Wink ) in the front.
Franco1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Shimmy While Braking After Installing New Wheels Reply with quote

That痴 too funny. After watching a video on aircooled.net I知 going to try to replace the control arm and sway bar bushings with urethane bushings. As I mentioned before a friend said that under breaking the car will have different characteristics. I知 wondering if changing those bushings will keep the steering Geometry in tact and keep it from shuttering. I ordered a kit for about 50 bucks so I think I might give that a shot first as it doesn稚 seem too terribly invasive. I値l certainly report my results back to the form and if anybody else has any better suggestions I知 all ears. Thanks for all your thoughts and advice.
Frank
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Shimmy While Braking After Installing New Wheels Reply with quote

Franco1962 wrote:
... After watching a video on aircooled.net I知 going to try to replace ... bushings ...

Is that the Super Beetle "death wobble" video? Maybe you'll be lucky and that fix will solve your brake shimmy. But like your BMW buddy says, alignment issues are very different for braking from what they are when just cruising. Maybe you need a video of your own situation. That's what I tried to do when I had a brake judder problem. It was too much to set up a camera that records while braking. So I just recorded what's happening at various suspicious locations while wiggling front left wheel with my left hand at 9:00 on the tire, right at 3:00 (pushing with one hand while pulling with the other). For example, here's looking at inner tie rod ends:

https://youtu.be/BMNcRvyuXQU

My brake judder turn'd out to be caused by shiddy sidewalls on Firestone tires back 10~12 years ago when they were in the news due to problems on Ford Explorers. And now with completely different tires, brake judder is sneeking back. Replaced left outer tie rod end, as it had very obvious play. Not sure if there's slop in inner tie rod ends. I need a helper to hold steering wheel and/or front right wheel while I manipulate front left wheel and camera records video. Not sure if I see any loosness, maybe a little in left inner, or could be camera angle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Shimmy While Braking After Installing New Wheels Reply with quote

Check tire pressure? Tire shops always over fill. Just a thought
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Shimmy While Braking After Installing New Wheels Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
Check tire pressure? Tire shops always over fill. Just a thought

Thanks for the thought. It was tire pressure that convinced me about what was wrong with the Firestones I had on front wheels a decade ago, because rediculously high pressure would reduce the judder. Normally, I keep front tire pressure in the teens; and my theory is that the sidewalls would sort of buckle or ripple when braking. Back then, the judder was about 1 or 2 pulses per revolution of tire. My current issue is more like 3 or 4 pulses per tire revolution; a more rappid judder, not quite a shimmy. But I haven't yet finish'd going thru the brakes. Fronts all up to par now, gotta find some time to get into rears next.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: