Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nora777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

I got 230k out of my auto trans on my '97 EVC before it started having torque clutch convertor issues. I installed a trans cooler at 150K. I just had it converted to 5 speed manual and had original timing chain replaced.

Suspect I'm good for another 100K
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

205K for me 3rd owner

Have had it 2 years and 5k miles by me, a few trans oil changes, new trans pan, as old was rusty..

doing ok, do have a cooler, in the shed though.

Maybe this year
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

I sold my '02 two years ago with 350K, new owner has put another 15K on it. Just picked up an '03 for a good price since it needed a tranny at 160K. Go figure.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

In our local,circle of 30+ T4s our mileage leader is at 300k on her Camper, gets it serviced with a drain and fill every 20k
mfaas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
I have a 289k mile 5-cyl with no trans problems.
I have a 198k 12 valve with no trans problems.
I have a 210k mile 24 valve with no trans problems.

I have numerous vehicles between 120k and 200k with no trans problems.

Out of 25 vans I've personally owned in four years, I've had four with trans problems that required replacement (one we knew about when we bought it and got a good deal because of it).

Most just need a fluid change. I've also started using HotShot friction reducer on my trans fluid changes (within the last six months) and have noticed it helps with stuck valves/hard shifts, etc.

DenverB,

I have 285,000 on my 93 AT and it’s humming along with a kinda hard shift here and there.

Can you let us know how you use the friction reducer? I read that it’s not compatible with transmissions that don’t use motor oil. I also see that they offer a transmission specific product.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

I too have started using hotshot trans fluid, this last year, and do notice a difference.

Less harder shifts

smoother shifting
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

195k. No issues. No service history at all when I got the van at 180k for 2k that could barely run. Slowly fixed all the engine issues and changed the fluid outta the gate and have put 15k trouble free miles on it. Have recently changed the fluid again.
samba415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

Bump to lift some transmission spirits here. Please pay close attention to the second page.

Current: '04 Golf TDI, '03 Weekender
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

At about 219,000 miles now. Still no issues with transmission. Van is in the garage for the winter now to pull the tstat housing and crackpipe that are leaking pretty badly at this point. Going to be a bitch to get to. Made it through the season topping off coolant regularly.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Highest mileage Eurovan w/o transmission troubles? Reply with quote

Whridlsoncestood wrote:
At about 219,000 miles now. Still no issues with transmission. Van is in the garage for the winter now to pull the tstat housing and crackpipe that are leaking pretty badly at this point. Going to be a bitch to get to. Made it through the season topping off coolant regularly.

Tstat with housing and crack pipe are relatively easy.... a bit of a pain to work through the maze of hoses/wires but plenty of room once the front is off the van.

Unless it has been recently serviced, I'd recommend a water pump as PM. Take a good look at the hoses and other cooling system accessories (heater valve, after run pump, plastic fittings, etc.) as you are doing the job and consider replacing as their condition/service history dictates.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: