Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Missing sun visors!
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurt V
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Missing sun visors! Reply with quote

1970 fastback. Previous owner installed a new headliner, but left off the sunvisors. I have tried to feel where the screw holes are under the headliner to install some sunvisors, but can’t find them. Really don’t want to pull away on the headliner to try and find the screw holes. Thinking it might just be easier to tint the upper part of the windshield to block the sun. Thoughts?
DHanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing sun visors! Reply with quote

Kurt V wrote:
1970 fastback. Previous owner installed a new headliner, but left off the sunvisors. I have tried to feel where the screw holes are under the headliner to install some sunvisors, but can’t find them. Really don’t want to pull away on the headliner to try and find the screw holes. Thinking it might just be easier to tint the upper part of the windshield to block the sun. Thoughts?

Use a pin or needle to locate holes for screws.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing sun visors! Reply with quote

I also have a 1970 Fastback. When I had my new roof liner put in recently, the upholsterer didn't mark the sun visor or the visor clip holes. He did the seat belt holes and pop out window clip holes, but for some reason forgot the sun visor ones !
And he threw away the very ratty old roof liner !!
Armed only with the photo attached, I took a paper clip and un rolled it, and using the photo as a guide, poked the wire through the tiny air holes in the roof liner, until I the wire went through one of the holes in the metal. I then worked out whether it was a screw hole of the bigger central hole by wiggling the wire to define the size of the hole. Once I had one hole, the rest was easy. I then did exactly the same for the central clips. Very easy really.
Tinting the window would never block out enough sun - Not in Australia anyway !!
Ah - DHanna has already replied and agrees !!
G

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing sun visors! Reply with quote

BTW, if you do fit your visors, be aware that the central clips do NOT just push in. You have to insert them 90 degs rotated, then twist them until the screw hole lines up. This means the clip is held in place by both the screw as well as the plastic pin on the clip.
Look at the back of the clip before you try to insert it, and you will see what I mean.
Took me a while to work that out without having any instructions or previous experience !!
G
Kurt V
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Missing sun visors! Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and the picture!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Missing sun visors! Reply with quote

also when you get your new visors out of the box, pull the rod out. it will appear too short but it's not
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Missing sun visors! Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
also when you get your new visors out of the box, pull the rod out. it will appear too short but it's not

LOL! I had an embarrassing email conversation with ISPwest on just this subject! Embarassed
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing sun visors! Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Erik G wrote:

LOL! I had an embarrassing email conversation with ISPwest on just this subject! Embarassed
You weren't the only one. Supa Ninja went so far to start a thread on ISP/TMI visors.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing sun visors! Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Erik G wrote:

You weren't the only one. Supa Ninja went so far to start a thread on ISP/TMI visors.

That thread...LOL.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing sun visors! Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

Er.....No. The rod (pin end if thats what you mean) no longer "pulls out" like the old ones used to. You have to slowly work the visor itself along the bar away from the hinge end. This will enable the pin to then seat in the clip properly.

I can't find the thread where I detailed this, but I am sure I am correct. But, as always, will stand corrected if I am wrong.
G
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Missing sun visors! Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Erik G wrote:

That thread...LOL.

Yup, it was a real head turner for sure. Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Missing sun visors! Reply with quote

I have to admit when I first installed some TMI sun visors i drove around for a long time cursing them every time they would pop out of the catch. I didn't realize they could be adjusted Razz

-Lucas
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing sun visors! Reply with quote

Still can't find the Samba post I put in, but here is the link to my rebuild blog where I was doing the sun visors.
Turns out it was TMI who advised that the visors are compressed for "shipping purposes", and they know they need to be extended to fit. So instructions are as I stated on the newer sun visors. Older originals you still pull the pin end out.
https://notslowingdownyet.blogspot.com/2020/07/0023-smaller-things-take-even-longer.html
G
Kurt V
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing sun visors! Reply with quote

Your blog post helped clear things up for me. Thanks again!
justinekins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing sun visors! Reply with quote

This just saved me as well!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing sun visors! Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

I also pulled the hinge/swivel end out about a 1/4 inch too.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: