Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new battery no power-update
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

now its back to just cranking.... Brick wall ]
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

Ha! Sorry for your frustration.

Check the fuel pressure when it only cranks.

Any tears or cracks in the s-boot?

Are you still running points?
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

so, as is a common theme to my post, I take a break from chicken coup building and try again to start.

It starts, doesnt rev up, and stays running...but poorly and smoking. The engine never really smoked unless it had been a few weeks starting.

I didnt have the timing light out or anything ready to test/set timing, but a quick turn of the dist. did improve idle slightly. but it was still a lot of smoke from tail pipe.

What next? reset points? adjust timing? I may need a quick tutorial on setting timing with a dwell. Ive only set by light.

I was just about to say , I surrender and tow it to a local shop (though I realllly didnt want to).

So close,,,cant quit now. Smile

other tidbit: There does seem to be a very small fuel leak on the ground below the #1 cylinder...but it is dry up top at the injectors,,,,
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

What color is the smoke?, white?, blue?, black?, purple?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

white/gray, more white than gray.

per your suggestion I kept at every vacuum hose .The hose from the s boot to the aux regulator was a bit short so it didnt seat into the elbow at the aux reg too well. I cut some new hose and that helped!
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

seems there is a bit of an oil leak both sides that wasnt there before the engine was pulled. I havent traced it. The pushrod tube seals were replaced, I could have medded that up.

Starts and runs strong --although not totally smooth--but lots of grayish white smoke.

I did adjust valves while engine was out also. Could way out of whack adjustment (maladjustment) be a culprit in the smoke?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

Valve adjustment shouldn't cause smoke, it could just be burning off buildup from sitting. The leaks may be valve covers not seated properly. Did the engine use oil prior to removing it?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

Never used oil in excess and left very very minimal oil drops on ground.

Ill check the valve covers. Leak only happened after it ran.

The tin under the pushrods is still off so Ill try to see if the leaks are from the tubes.

Thanks!!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

sometimes an engine will get laid at an odd angle when out that lets oil flow past the rings into the cylinder then exhaust.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

it did tilt off to both sides (sometimes for a few minutes) at different times while using the ATV jack to lift the engine back into lace
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
it did tilt off to both sides (sometimes for a few minutes) at different times while using the ATV jack to lift the engine back into lace
if it was tilted enough that oil could run from the sump into the cylinders, some oil may have gotten past the rings and into the combustion chambers. If so it will burn out once it runs a couple miles. If you have a oil bath type air filter, and it gets tilted improperly putting it back on oil can flow into the boot and get sucked into the engine. There is a max line on an oil bath filter so if you have one be sure it isn't overfilled by a lot.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

havent drove it yet, but ran it for a few minutes...smoke slightly lightened after a few minutes...shut it down to take pics of the oil leak:

The oil that is leaking is coming from area circled in the image below. The oil smells slightly of gasoline.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Going to back it out of the garage and maybe drive it a bit during lunch.

The fuel smell in the oil is worrying me
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

still dripping a bit of oil (with a gas smell to it),,but smoking much less now...

The engine starts easily. But the idle does seem high and at times seems to slowly idle faster...

In another thread it was suggested to someone that a leaky valve gasket (vacuum leak?)can sometimes cause a higher idle. This could also be where my oil leak is coming from.

In what order should I do the following?

timing, adjust idle, re-adjust valves

Also if its idling too high will that affect the ability to set timing?

I will also see if adjusting the throttle/accelerator cable helps...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

Fix the throttle cable, then wipe it down and run it some more to hopefully see where the leak originates. Your circled spot doesn't look like a valve cover or pushrod tube problem, it's more likely blowing forward from somewhere on top of the engine, like the breather tower base gasket, or the oil pressure sender.

You are correct about the timing, an idle over 1K rpm will skew the settings, try and get it down first. If you haven't messed with the speed screw on the throttle body, and it idled well before you removed it then it's something else you've disturbed during the re & re, a vacuum leak is still #1 suspect IMO.

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

might want to shine a light down where the oil sender is up top and see if it is oozing oil.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

breather gasket is new. Off tomorrow show I should be able to do the above if I run out of light this evening.

is the slight smell of gas in that oil a big red flag?

And thanks again!!!!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if it's new, look at it anyways. Gas smell is odd, but isn't pointing to one particular cause yet.

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

If you set your timing at full mechanical advance, 28° BTDC @3800+ rpms with the hose(s) off, a fast idle speed will not throw the timing off.

What happens to your idle when your remove the oil filler cap?

As suggested do check your oil pressure switch for leaks as they are notorious for oozing out oil.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
white/gray, more white than gray.

per your suggestion I kept at every vacuum hose .The hose from the s boot to the aux regulator was a bit short so it didnt seat into the elbow at the aux reg too well. I cut some new hose and that helped!

Had a brain dead move one time years ago with my 73 Panel and 1700cc engine. Dropped a valve at idle and had to do an engine pull and repair. While I had things out, I decided to put in new rings and somehow forgot the oil rings & scrapers on one of the pistons. Put it all back together and started it up and although it ran fine, it continued to smoke. I was used to some initial smoke at start up but this didn't stop. After racking my brain for a while I did an inventory check and saw an extra set of oil rings and scrapers that shouldn't have been there. Had to pull it all apart again and it ran fine after adding the rings.

Any chance that something similar happened?

Regarding your oil leak, looking at the picture above, it looks to me that your cylinder barrel didn't seat well against the case or it got gouged when it was apart and oil is seeping through and running along the tin and dripping from a low spot. The cooling fins look dark/wet in towards the case. It could be coming from above but should be dripping under the oil cooler as well due to the location of the oil sensor.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: new battery no power-update Reply with quote

engine was out but other than peripherals (plenum, air handler FI etc.) it was intact\...wasn't disassembled. was just out to freshen up the visual bits and to replace gas tank
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: