Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has anyone installed GoWesty's 3-point rear bench seat belt kit?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zapgar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Has anyone installed GoWesty's 3-point rear bench seat belt kit? Reply with quote

Here is the problem I came across when installing the 3-Point Retracting Seat Belt (KT122-VANO Rear Seat, Left or Right Side) in my hard top 87 Syncro.

The instructions say to install the new seat belt on the outside side of the Z bench frame (see black/white photo from install instructions
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
). However there is a spacer welded onto the metal frame. (see the Red Arrow in the attached photo and red circles in separate photo
).

This spacer (which passes through the wall and insulation) prevents the belt from being connected between the frame and the interior wall as the instructions suggest.

A GoWesty restoration mechanic instructed me to install the seatbelt BEHIND that spacer. Doing so will twist the metal frame out of plumb by about 3/4”. If I add an additional lock nut plus both left and right side seat belts into the equation I’ll be racking it even further.

Seems like it puts unnecessary stress into the bench frame, so wanted to ask before taking a sawzall to my van.

Has anyone installed these belts on their hard top vanagon and figured out a good way to install these puppies?

Thanks!
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone installed GoWesty's 3-point rear bench seat belt kit? Reply with quote

I would call or email GW with your question. They are usually pretty helpful with technical questions. You could also link them to this thread for reference.
hoveypdx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone installed GoWesty's 3-point rear bench seat belt kit? Reply with quote

hey Zapgar,

I see it's been a couple years, so I'm guessing you found a solution to this issue? I have the exact same issue right now (same bench, same GW seat belts) and curious what you came up with?

Thanks!
zapgar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone installed GoWesty's 3-point rear bench seat belt kit? Reply with quote

You know, I did hear from a sales rep at GoWesty. He sent me some pictures of another hole I could try for mounting the lap portion of the belt.

I got distracted with other things and never actually moved the bolts on my van. I think it's worth trying this hole and see what happens.

Let us know if it works for ya!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: