Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Curil T case sealing specifics?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boondocksdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Curil T case sealing specifics? Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to seal a case and haven't found a lot on specifically how/how much Curil T should be applied. Should I not just put it down as a bead and let the case spread it? The few pics I've seen it looks like people are kind of spreading/brushing it around. If it goes on as a bead, right now I've got it coming out around 2mm diameter. Does that work?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And just stay to the outside of the bolts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Curil T case sealing specifics? Reply with quote

Give an acid brush a haircut so the bristles are ~ 3/8" long, then use it to dab the sealer on in an even thin layer all over the seam, it should have a texture like popcorn ceilings when you are done.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Curil T case sealing specifics? Reply with quote

I've done it both ways--a thin bead all around, or brushed to a very thin full coverage layer with an acid brush. Both worked; neither leaked.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Curil T case sealing specifics? Reply with quote

I use brake cleaner/electrical contact cleaner to clean the surface, then spread a very light coat with my finger. its so light that hardly any squeezes out when putting the halves together. Its a machine finish, 98% of whatever you put on should be squeezing out, keep that in mind.

All that said, I switched from Curil-T to Loctite 518. Its more "uniform" in this application at super thin leftover amounts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Curil T case sealing specifics? Reply with quote

I also switched to the Loctite 518 and love it. The Curil is good to but I find the 518 easier to apply
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Curil T case sealing specifics? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
I use brake cleaner/electrical contact cleaner to clean the surface, then spread a very light coat with my finger. its so light that hardly any squeezes out when putting the halves together. Its a machine finish, 98% of whatever you put on should be squeezing out, keep that in mind.

All that said, I switched from Curil-T to Loctite 518. Its more "uniform" in this application at super thin leftover amounts.

^^^^

And there are also even better products than the 518 that are in the same family. I think we had a thread on these just about 2 week ago....either here or in the bay window forum.

Either way....in my opinion ....on a machined jint with a potential gap that can range from just above "0" to maybe 0.0005"....with oil on one side (which is a solvent at ome level)....and with potential pressure......I would use a very thin film, low viscosity sealant that CURES.....so it does not stay in paste form.....whether its aerobic or anaerobic.

Ray
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Curil T case sealing specifics? Reply with quote

Quote:
98% of whatever you put on should be squeezing out,
After you bolt the case halves together, run a paper towel along the case seam to wipe off the sealant that squeezed out. You wipe your nose after blowing it... Wink
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Curil T case sealing specifics? Reply with quote

Ray,

Could you list those other products?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Curil T case sealing specifics? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Ray,

Could you list those other products?

Here is that thread. Its a short and I think good thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=758785&highlight=curil

A lot of people like 518...and I cannot disagree...as its the right "type"....to some extent. The problem with 518 is that even with very fine kerf machine work ...if there is enough "height" to the machined Kerfs that significant oxygen can be trapped during the squeeze out of the 518 or other 'anaerobic" sealants....they wont cure.

What you need for joints like those....is a slightly thinner viscosity "518"....and they make that. I will have to dig up the part #. I posted it somewhere just a little while back. I will find it.

The gist is....the smoother the surface of a finely machined joint like a transmission case or our engine cases....the thinner the viscosity you need to make sure that the squeeze out...forces out all air.

Slightly rougher surfaces need slightly higher viscosity to fill the valleys and flush out oxygen...like 518.

Also....if gettit thin enough is a problem...you "could " use a solvent curing joint adhesive like Yamabond, Hondabond, Three bond or Permatex motoseal.

These are great because if you smear then on as thin as you can....60% more of it will evaporate leaving only the solids. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: