Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody ever use a Pertronix Ignitor?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Anybody ever use a Pertronix Ignitor? Reply with quote

My rail buggy is powered by a Ford V6 with a Mallory centrifugal advance distributor. It's kind of an odd set up. The engine is the metric Cologne version and the distributor is a marine version but it all works pretty well. It's fired by a Mallory Pro Master coil controlled by a Crane Cams CD unit. The CD unit can be triggered by points or a magnetic trigger. Currently, it's running with points.

I picked up a Pertronix Electronic ignition unit to replace the points. Has anybody ever run one of the Pertronix units? Was it reliable? The Pertronix unit will only be carrying a few milliamps instead of the full amperage like normal points do because the CD unit handles all of the heavy work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody ever use a Pertronix Ignitor? Reply with quote

A lot of people use then with good success, and there are a few that have nothing but problems and swear at them and seem to prefer going back to points (read comments in Performance Section) ....

The idea of replacing mechanical points with electronic points is not new or novel and works well for many in fact car manufacturer have done away with mechanical points long before going to the present distribuitorless ignition (coil on plug/coil at plug) ...... When I was going to make the switch the local store was sold out of Pertronix units (for VW) but had Compu-Fire unit in stock so that is what I have and that was 20 years ago and unit still works fine...

Its kind of like everything today, its quality issues, you may get a really good unit that lasts forever, or you may get a bad one the won't get you past tomorrow...

One thing that many do that kills the electronic units is leave key on without engine running and current flow through unit cooks it and then it fails.... Early units were especially susceptible to the bad practice (some later units have build in automatic shut down if it senses is been on a long time and engine not running).... Simply turning key off when engine not running (like just playing radio) saves the unit...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody ever use a Pertronix Ignitor? Reply with quote

Thanks Dale...That's what I've been hearing about them: Most work well for a long time but a few have troubles. Like any other electronic device today.

Yeah, I know about the leaving it on issue. That even applied in the old days on standard points type systems. The coils would overheat and puke unless you got lucky and the engine stopped with the points open so no current would flow.

I had a friend in high school back in about '74 who was late for school one morning. He slid into a parking place in his Chevy, jumped out, locked the door and ran for class. He left the car running! After school was out, we helped him get his car going again. We had to get his car unlocked with a coat hanger, fill up his gas tank because it had sat there and run itself out, charge his battery because after it ran out of gas, it sat there with the key on, replace his coil because it had swollen up and puked and replace his points because they had burned. Oh yeah! He bought the beer for a week!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody ever use a Pertronix Ignitor? Reply with quote

I had 2 pertronix ignitors. One burned up before it ever made a spark. The second made half a dozen Sparks and burned up.

I have an Ignitor 2 for my new engine. Pertronix says they do not burn up if the switch is on and the engine is not running. We will see

It is unclear if the original Ignitor needs a ballast resistor.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody ever use a Pertronix Ignitor? Reply with quote

triple check you wiring before hooking it up. simple hook-up but get it backwards you'll be buying a new one.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody ever use a Pertronix Ignitor? Reply with quote

I have been using Pertronix for about a year. Works fine for me. I even tried a cheap eBay version for a bit. That worked fine as well, I just had to adjust the timing.

I did leave the key on once for a while by mistake. That did burn out the Pertronix. With a couple a relays, that was an easy fix. Now I can leave the key on for as long as I would like without burning it out. See the topic link for details.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=751805
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody ever use a Pertronix Ignitor? Reply with quote

If the Crane CD box is anything like a MSD unit using the points is just a switch, they should not be any high amperage going through them. I ran a set of points in my IHC Scout with a MSD 6AL for years with no problem, I did clean them with a piece of thin card stock by dragging it through the points when I changed the plugs or the oil. Does the Pertronix unit use a Hall Effect sensor for the trigger? if it does you will still use the wires you use for points if it works like a MSD box.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody ever use a Pertronix Ignitor? Reply with quote

Yes, the Crane Cams uses the points as a trigger. With it, the the current thru the points is milliamps instead pf the full blast that points normally get. Yeah, the Pertronix igniter is a Hall Effect system but the Crane Cams unit has a separate hookup for magnetic systems. I'll try that one first. Thanks for the info
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody ever use a Pertronix Ignitor? Reply with quote

Hall effect and Mag Pick up are two different animals, I don't think it will recognizes it on the CD box.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody ever use a Pertronix Ignitor? Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't think it'll be a problem. The Crane Cams unit has separate leads for Magnetic Pickup or Points.
You're right about the Pertronix being a Hall Effect system and it probably not working on the Magnetic Pickup. It won't send a pulse signal like a magnetic pickup system does but it'll work fine on the standard Points side because a Hall Effect system is on/off like points.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: