Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission Clatters Loudly in 3rd Gear
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocketeer928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Transmission Clatters Loudly in 3rd Gear Reply with quote

I've got a problem with my 1973 SB Convertible that I'm hoping someone can help me with. Within the last month, when I shift into 3rd gear there is a very loud clatter. Sort of like a very loud version of when I was a kid I taped baseball cards on my bicycle and let the rear spokes clatter against the cards. The clatter happens when either accelerating or maintaining speed in 3rd gear, but not when down shifting or decelerating. No noise in 1st, 2nd, or 4th gear; just 3rd. While in 3rd if I push in the clutch, the noise ceases.

Today, I drained and put in new tranny fluid; just kinda hoping that would be a quick fix. Nope! The 3rd gear noise is still there as loud as ever. The car drives in 3rd, but it's always noisy now. The noise decibels decrease a little when the car is warmed up, but still very noticeable.

So, is my 3rd gear or perhaps the whole transmission toast? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
rocketeer928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Clatters Loudly in 3rd Gear Reply with quote

I'll also mention that when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd, I must push in the clutch, wait a few seconds, and then downshift into 2nd. If I don't do that, then without fail when I downshift into 2nd the gears will grind.

Perhaps the issue with the downshifting into 2nd and the clattering in 3rd is a bad synchronizer issue. Thoughts?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Clatters Loudly in 3rd Gear Reply with quote

Time to pull the transmission and either rebuild it or get a rebuilt one from MCM

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=594641010649567&__tn__=C-R

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
rocketeer928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Clatters Loudly in 3rd Gear Reply with quote

I was looking for help and a diagnosis, and not a sales pitch. But thanks for the link.
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Clatters Loudly in 3rd Gear Reply with quote

Not sure what you're looking for as far as advise...the trans needs to be rebuilt.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Clatters Loudly in 3rd Gear Reply with quote

rocketeer928 wrote:
I was looking for help and a diagnosis, and not a sales pitch. But thanks for the link.

Wow!

Your transmission is f—ed! That the diagnosis. And you have no understanding of what you are facing.

Tools to rebuild the transmission, on your own will run you 2000 - 5000. You will also need several core transmissions to rob parts from. Another 1500. Then you will need to buy some reading material (400) and you will need to spend several years, in a shop, rebuilding these transmissions, TO FULLY UNDERSTAND how under water your reply is! Yeah, good luck.

Sorry for educating you on the best, fastest, cheapest way out of your problem!

Regarding the other problem, your communication skills………..

Never mind, sorry I tried.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
rocketeer928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Clatters Loudly in 3rd Gear Reply with quote

Okay, okay. I got it. No need to get so testy. I wasn't hot under the collar when I responded, but was seeking a bit more info in terms of a more detailed diagnosis. Actually, for some reason I'm not allowed access to that link that was shared..
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Clatters Loudly in 3rd Gear Reply with quote

Have you tried adjusting the shifter (centered front/back and side to side) also look at your shift coupler to see if it's shot (under rear seat, under that plate on the tunnel), but yes the trans is shot if these checks don't solve the problem.
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Clatters Loudly in 3rd Gear Reply with quote

The grinding when you downshift into second is the syncro. When you pause with the clutch you are allowing the speed of the two gears to match. Old school double clutching. Again, the only fix is to rebuild the transmission like was said.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
rocketeer928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Clatters Loudly in 3rd Gear Reply with quote

Thanks for the help/advice. More work and more $$$.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Clatters Loudly in 3rd Gear Reply with quote

I bought one off Craigslist that came from a running car for $175. That's the best advice I have.
Good luck.

Click to view image
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Clatters Loudly in 3rd Gear Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of old cars!

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Clatters Loudly in 3rd Gear Reply with quote

3rd gear synchro sounds like it's shot, and maybe a few chipped teeth on the gears themselves. Gotta come apart and it's a fairly advanced setup to rebuild these transaxles properly.

Did you find any metal in the gear oil when it was drained?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rocketeer928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Clatters Loudly in 3rd Gear Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Did you find any metal in the gear oil when it was drained?

Surprisingly, only a little bit.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Clatters Loudly in 3rd Gear Reply with quote

I still don't know what advice you are looking for. Your tranny has major issues. Either:
Rebuild it
Buy a rebuilt replacement
Buy a used one and hope for the best
Which door do you want?
Your choice

Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: