Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Udo lifters
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
john morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

Wow! That is a heartbreaker.

I took a break for over ten years, come back and we are still having the same problem with lifters. Very discouraging...

Maybe I will just throw an engine together with used parts I have laying around. That way if it dies, it wont hurt as much.

Thanks for the response!
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

Bottom line for me is I should have just used Engle lifters with an Engle cam.

Same with CB Performance, use their cams and lifters together and you’ll be okay.

I have the Thorsten-Pieper lifters in my current engine and do not expect an issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
john morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! How long has the engine with Thorsten lifters been together?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

Two days Very Happy

Search Thorsten-Pieper and you should see a few posts

My cam is from Jurgen Nowak (Germany), CNC solid billet steel cam. He recommended and sells the TP lifters, which was a big factor in me buying them.

Thorsten will respond to your emails quickly too.

http://www.tp-technologie.de/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Two days :D

Search Thorsten-Pieper and you should see a few posts

My cam is from Jurgen Nowak (Germany), CNC solid billet steel cam. He recommended and sells the TP lifters, which was a big factor in me buying them.

Thorsten will respond to your emails quickly too.

http://www.tp-technologie.de/

How is the super squishy motor running? Any videos?

Tabari also sells the TP tool steel lifters state side:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2038560
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

Finished the long block this past weekend. I’m waiting on one Scat rocker because one is measuring different than the rest. I should put it in the car this weekend.
john morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

I reached out to Udo, using the email provided by txoval, and he has offered to replace the defective set. I believe this is the best route for me. I shipped my case to the west coast for lifter inserts. The company that did the work asked me ship them one of the lifters too. I know I will still have to check tolerances but hopefully the new and old are very similar in size.

I will keep looking into Thorsten's offerings too.

Txoval, please let us know how the first start goes!

Thanks everyone!
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

john morris wrote:
I reached out to Udo, using the email provided by txoval, and he has offered to replace the defective set. I believe this is the best route for me. I shipped my case to the west coast for lifter inserts. The company that did the work asked me ship them one of the lifters too. I know I will still have to check tolerances but hopefully the new and old are very similar in size.

Thanks everyone!

What did Udo say to you. Maybe you are replacing the "defective set" with another defective set. Many of these tool steel lifters have been offshored to China for production. Does he guarantee his are not? Are the Thorstens guaranteed to be COMPLETELY made in Germany. At least Andrig Miller has said his are made in China to keep the cost down. It is very important you ask these questions. By the way, Andrigs tool steel lifters are more pricey and weigh almost twice as much as the Thorsten Pieper.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

John:

Just be prepared to be patient. Udo has had my bad set for 6 months. Obviously CV19 is still creating supply issues everywhere.

Phil

john morris wrote:

Thanks everyone!
john morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

Wheel607, I did not ask questions about the lifters. I believe it is good of Udo to replace the lifters after several years. I can not even verify the exact time they were purchased. The lifters have not been run. I can not say whether they are bad or not.

I have not been paying close attention to the lifter issues. I will have to do some home work.

Txoval, Udo said he was making some now. I will get more details before I ship him mine. If the wait is too long I will use Engel lifters, my cam is an FK8.
john morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

Wheel607 are you using tool steel lifters?

I guess I don't really care where they are made. I care that they work.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

john morris wrote:
Wheel607, I did not ask questions about the lifters. I believe it is good of Udo to replace the lifters after several years. I can not even verify the exact time they were purchased. The lifters have not been run. I can not say whether they are bad or not.

I have not been paying close attention to the lifter issues. I will have to do some home work.

Txoval, Udo said he was making some now. I will get more details before I ship him mine. If the wait is too long I will use Engel lifters, my cam is an FK8.

John, I personally would get the lifters from Udo (when you can) and run the Engels with the Engel cam. When you pay 6-7 times what a usual Engle lifter costs, you expect them to be PERFECT. This lifter problem has not been solved. Perhaps you need to call Steve Long at Steve Long Racing for a camshaft....he checks Rockwell hardness to the specific lifter. I really like mine on my 2276...all in by 6200rpm and on 104 degree centers. He will ask all kinds of questions....really nice guy.

d.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

With the FK8 I’d run Engle lifters that are phosphate coated. The EDM hole versions are nice too. I ran them with a W120 and they looked beautiful when removed.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

Udo sent me a new set about three weeks ago and they arrived this past Friday.

The lifter face is black, he said a “S” coating...not sure what that is. The body of the lifter is shiny.

My current engine is running great and no issues with valve lash changing. I plan to remove the engine this winter and will see how the lifters/cam are doing.

I plan to swap the Thorsten Pieper lifters to my new engine...assuming they still look great.

Not sure what to do with the Udo lifters...
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

What's wrong with using Scat lifters ? I had good luck with them over the years
Udo.B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigman wrote:
Sure.
But also Udo's lifters are tool steel. Super duper hard stuff! So hard that it hardly wears at all. It will wear out the cam before wearing out the lifter.
The big differens is the nitriding on the head and you dont can do this on a cast lifter, this is one reason why you can use them with more than one cam . also i got a cnc machined radius on the head I have´new ones in stock now
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

I want to say that Udo was great when replacing my lifters. Yes, it took some time, but I think everything does now. He also communicated with me timely and I appreciate him standing behind his product.
Udo.B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Udo lifters Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
I want to say that Udo was great when replacing my lifters. Yes, it took some time, but I think everything does now. He also communicated with me timely and I appreciate him standing behind his product.

If you can pass the CSP inspection it must be 100% ... They also sell mine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: