Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Jersey Shop for Autostick
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWSB72Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: New Jersey Shop for Autostick Reply with quote

I have a 72 SB with autostick that i resurrected last fall after it had been sitting for 20 years. it runs and drives fairly well, but whenever i drive it more than about 20 minutes, i start having clutch slippage issues. I have gone through most of the checks and replaced all the vacuum hoses and I am almost certain that it is due to oil contamination from a fairly significant main seal leak. Does anyone have any shops they can recommend to fix the seal and try to fix the clutch slipping issue? the car is in fair shape and i just want to keep it as a driver so trying to manage the costs as well. Thanks in advance.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Jersey Shop for Autostick Reply with quote

If the main was leaking the clutch disc is oil soaked so you will need clutch kit and the rear seal replaced. Try googling "VW Clubs" in your area and they can hook you up.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Jersey Shop for Autostick Reply with quote

Hmm, the clutch disc in an autostick is some distance from the main oil seal. The torque convertor and sealed bell housing are in between. Maybe you should spend a little more time diagnosing your problem before diving in?

Also, if a bad clutch disc is the problem (they last forever in an autostick), have you considered removing the engine and bell housing yourself to address the problem?
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWSB72Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: New Jersey Shop for Autostick Reply with quote

Thanks - i have run through the various diagnostic steps including checking the various vacuum components and disconnecting power to the actuator switch while it was in gear. There have been a few threads on various websites with the same conditions including the main-seal issue. I think i have basically ruled out the autostick system holding the clutch partly open. It shifts fine and drives well for a while, but after some time it slips. I don't really have the equipment or desire to pull the engine myself and since the main seal needs to be done anyway, so in the process, i was going to have them check the clutch and other components such as the TC. I am on a list for an eventual appointment at one shop that seems to be a fairly solid and well respected, but they have a pretty long backlog so was checking to see what other options there may be. Thanks
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: New Jersey Shop for Autostick Reply with quote

VWSB72Blue wrote:
Thanks - i have run through the various diagnostic steps including checking the various vacuum components and disconnecting power to the actuator switch while it was in gear. There have been a few threads on various websites with the same conditions including the main-seal issue. I think i have basically ruled out the autostick system holding the clutch partly open. It shifts fine and drives well for a while, but after some time it slips. I don't really have the equipment or desire to pull the engine myself and since the main seal needs to be done anyway, so in the process, i was going to have them check the clutch and other components such as the TC. I am on a list for an eventual appointment at one shop that seems to be a fairly solid and well respected, but they have a pretty long backlog so was checking to see what other options there may be. Thanks

Understand that unlike a conventional manual transmission the clutch in the autostick is INSIDE the case, on the other side of the bell housing, not between the engine and transmission. It will be more time consuming and probably more expensive for a shop to check since they will have to pull the bell housing off.

In the Bentley manual's auotstick section this troubleshooting chart lists a few things to check for clutch slippage. (There are different things to check depending on whether the clutch slippage is constant, at full throttle, or whether it is only after gear selection):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a thread discussing clutch freeplay adjustment:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7569975

If you need it or want it, or if it will help the shop if you decide to take the car to them, I have a pdf copy of the entire Bentley autostick section that I will be happy to send you if you want to PM me your email address.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: