Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Auto Gearbox
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:36 am    Post subject: Type 3 Auto Gearbox Reply with quote

HI IM NEW TO THIS SITE
has anyone got a type 3 auto gearbox
i was left a trike with a flatbed engine & a type 3 automatic box
have no drive at all
have drained the old atf out removed the auto sump pan cleaned it out new gasket & STRAINER PUT THE NEW ATF UP TO THE MARK , then while engine was running checked the oil and up to the mark put her in 1st no drive 2nd no drive then into drive still nothing

so I'm on the look for a working, hens teeth type thee automatic in working condition
can anyone help me out
sorry if this is the wrong place to post this new to site thanks , Bun
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Auto Gearbox Reply with quote

try the type 3 forum, lot's of knowledgeable people with the 003 there.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Auto Gearbox Reply with quote

Lets see how long it is going to take Ray to jump on this.

T-3 and T-4 engines and tranny are his specialty.

I think the Full auto tranny on both type are the same. I converted 2 T-3 to Stick shift.

I was amazed how simple it was all the Stick parts bolted right up to the T-3
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Auto Gearbox Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
Lets see how long it is going to take Ray to jump on this.

T-3 and T-4 engines and tranny are his specialty.

I think the Full auto tranny on both type are the same. I converted 2 T-3 to Stick shift.

I was amazed how simple it was all the Stick parts bolted right up to the T-3

Yes.....Same basic transmission in type 3 and type 4 cars....just a few very small details differences for mounting and a few details that were early vs late. Otherwise they are pretty much interchangeable.

There were a few different final drive ratios between the type 3 and 4 cars.

Type 3: mostly 9:33 (3.66:1 final drive)

Type 4: The wagon was 11:43 (3.91:1 final drive)
Type 4: the sedan was 11:41 ( 3.72:1 final drive)

Later from 11-73 onward all were 11:43/ 3.91:1 final drive. They had a few differences in valve body markings.

Probably any would be good in a trike.

You need to have it checked for pressure. Its possible that a broken pump shaft or a shaft that was not engaged in teh pump means that with no pressure...no drive. It can also be a total misalignment of the gear shift cable. It needs to be exact.

There are at least three autos for sale in the type 3 claaifieds...one for just STUPD high money

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ansmission

Another guy in Georgia in the type 4 classifieds says he has numerous for type 3 and 4 and lots of parts and....pricey but not insane...yet.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2274165

I would do a little detective work on your transmission before just assuming its dead. Ray

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Auto Gearbox Reply with quote

A bit off, as usual from me. Hopefully it will be helpful for a Trike

I am trying to remember if it was changing a Auto Stick on a T-1 to Manual and also full automatic on the T-3 to a Manual

I had to change the axles.

That may not matter for a trike but it may give you more choices of axles. Especially seeing there are a lot more T-1 axles around that you may save some money.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Auto Gearbox Reply with quote

bun wrote:
HI IM NEW TO THIS SITE
has anyone got a type 3 auto gearbox
i was left a trike with a flatbed engine & a type 3 automatic box
have no drive at all
have drained the old atf out removed the auto sump pan cleaned it out new gasket & STRAINER PUT THE NEW ATF UP TO THE MARK , then while engine was running checked the oil and up to the mark put her in 1st no drive 2nd no drive then into drive still nothing

so I'm on the look for a working, hens teeth type thee automatic in working condition
can anyone help me out
sorry if this is the wrong place to post this new to site thanks , Bun

I have about 10 good used ones on my self. Feel free to email me direct with questions [email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: