Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1st time with a puck
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

just got a 6 puck and 1700 lb clutch in my Baja today and took it for a hot lap. I've never had a puck disk before and it sure does feel different than a standard disk, really just wants to grab and go. it's not bad but will take some getting used to, worst part is trying to pull / back into the shop and trying to go slow where I might normally slip the clutch a little just to get a little momentum and with the 6 puck it wants to be all in or kinda chatters otherwise.

just a little back info, it's a boosted 2021 with rgb trans, still cable clutch so I didn't want to go with to strong of a p.p. and wear my leg out, hell my knees already hurt! heh heh
prior to this the clutch was slipping in 3rd ( of course) and even 4th when boost came in.

I don't have a question about anything, just thought I'd start a thread about it as it's new to me and so ppl could throw some puck opinions or experiences out there too.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

It's true. Not recommended for grocery store parking lots.

A metalic "puck" clutch can let you get away with less pressure plate.
As it gets hot it will grab harder instead of losing grip like a normal clutch would.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

I street drive with a 4 Puck Wink grocery getter with a roll cage Laughing
trick is finding one with a 'sprung center'
had to replace this year cuz it started to chatter/wheel hop bad,, new disc and allswell Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

I've never tried one. Certainly considered it before when i was getting some slip. I ended up with a stage 2 and a dual friction disk. Holding nearly 250whp so far. Stage 2 is stout to drive in traffic.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
I've never tried one. Certainly considered it before when i was getting some slip. I ended up with a stage 2 and a dual friction disk. Holding nearly 250whp so far. Stage 2 is stout to drive in traffic.

how many lbs is your stage 2?

and I bet that sprung puck disk is heavy? the 6 puck I put in felt heavier that a standard disk but maybe it wasn't, I dunno
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

I don't know for sure but it seems like a stage 2 is 2100lb.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

STage 2 can be hard on long trips. I like to drive bare-foot. That hurts after a while.

Puck disks are aggressive. They are chattery and some can even be audibly noisy (sounds like you are about to throw a rod).
They do offer extra bite and recover well when slipping under load.
They do tend to tear up the flywheel surface faster than an organic disk.

One Thing you said that made me take notice. You said it was slipping in 3 and 4th gear.
I hope that your 3rd and 4th gear dog-rings are welded to the gears?
This was the fist thing I noticed when I went turbo, was: What I thought was clutch slippage, was really the dog rings slipping on the gears.
The level of torque you now have in 3rd gear is much higher than any N/A motor can usually deliver. You might have found the weak link?

I guess you'll find out soon enough....
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
STage 2 can be hard on long trips. I like to drive bare-foot. That hurts after a while.

Puck disks are aggressive. They are chattery and some can even be audibly noisy (sounds like you are about to throw a rod).
They do offer extra bite and recover well when slipping under load.
They do tend to tear up the flywheel surface faster than an organic disk.

One Thing you said that made me take notice. You said it was slipping in 3 and 4th gear.
I hope that your 3rd and 4th gear dog-rings are welded to the gears?
This was the fist thing I noticed when I went turbo, was: What I thought was clutch slippage, was really the dog rings slipping on the gears.
The level of torque you now have in 3rd gear is much higher than any N/A motor can usually deliver. You might have found the weak link?

I guess you'll find out soon enough....

this is a large nut rgb that put in and didn't bother to go through it, it's got enough grime on it to put a semi truck to shame so I doubt it's ever been opened up.
like you said I'm sure I'll find the weak link soon enough,

can you explain more on what you mean by audibly noisy? at first I did notice some noise that sounded like it was coming through the tunnel, once I adjusted the clutch it seemed to go away, but I'm also half deaf too....
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

When the 3rd and 4th gear syncro hubs slip it won't shift worth a toot anymore.
At least that was the symptoms on the transmissions I did it to.

I have a Stage II and CB Super Disc. I extended my thowout arm to 100mm and I can't say it's much harder than a stage I.
Not so much that it's too hard to push.....although I drive a Dump truck with a big clutch so I might not be so sensitive to harder clutches.

I usually pop it into neutral when I come to a stop sign or light that I have to sit for very long........

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

Agreed. It doesn't bother me much to push it, but i do notice its a little harder to modulate with the gas pedal.
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
4 Puck with a 'sprung center'.

Ran the same with a 1700 pounder. In my 1776 turbo rail. Street legal off roader with terra tires.

Borrowed pic from gallery.

'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

I just weight my old 4 puck at 1241 gr.
Stock disc w/sprung center ,, 811 gr.
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

madmike wrote:

For us Americans that converts to 2.58 lbs. vs 1.68 lbs. Almost a pound difference.

A good habit to get into if you have a Stage I and definitely a Stage II is to always start the engine with the transmission in neutral and your foot off the clutch.
Your thrust bearing will thank you.....It's probably a good habit with any clutch on a VW for that matter. Especially if the engine is cold and the thrust shims have little lube in them.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
madmike wrote:

For us Americans that converts to 2.58 lbs. vs 1.68 lbs. Almost a pound difference.

A good habit to get into if you have a Stage I and definitely a Stage II is to always start the engine with the transmission in neutral and your foot off the clutch.
Your thrust bearing will thank you.....It's probably a good habit with any clutch on a VW for that matter. Especially if the engine is cold and the thrust shims have little lube in them.

Yes, most folks don't bother to weigh their disks. Some disks are super heavy.
Heavy disks are hard on syncros.

Yes, always start in neutral to let the thrust get some oil before you go loading it up with a heavy clutch.

This is mandatory when starting a motor with a flanged crank.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

so is it normal to run clutch adjustment a little looser with a puck than a normal disk?
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

for ppl that may be looking for more info on pucks, so far I've probably put 100 miles on this new puck and it's seems to be getting more "streetable" .at first it would grab hard or chatter if you tried to eas it out to slow, now it seems to be a little less harsh. maybe the pucks glazed a little? I dunno..
it does seem like cable adjustment it merely just setting where you'd like the pedal to engage the clutch. like I don't need near the clutch throw that I did with a normal disk and that makes me wonder if a normal disk has a range of compression where a metallic disk wouldn't?
I don't know anything this is just my experience with it so far
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
so is it normal to run clutch adjustment a little looser with a puck than a normal disk?

Yes, as compared to a clutch disk with a wave spring in it.

Although what is "normal" anyway?
It's not good to have more pedal travel than necessary to work right, how you fix it is up to you.
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1st time with a puck Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:

In my rail, it was hydraulic, nice and tight, right up top of the pedal
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: