Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Garage find
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Garage find Reply with quote

Found this today, 78 beetle. Has minor surface rust, owner says it need a floor, I didn't see that though, but was hard to get to passenger side. 32000 miles original. Top looks good. Any idea what would be a fair price? And it does have a cracked windsheild.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

I would be extremely suspicious of the 32K original miles statement unless the owner has documentation to back it up.

Odometer only shows 5 digits so it could be 32K, 132K, 232K, etc.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

If that really is 32000 miles, find out why it looks so tattered. Was it left outside for long periods? Like said above, I would be VERY suspicious of that unless there's proof. As far as price keep in mind that everything will need to be gone through, everything. The whole brake system, tires, engine and seals, and anything cosmetic. Even bumpers are hundreds of dollars each now. Even if it is 32K the engine may need to be torn down and refreshed. It's amazing how much corrosion that will develop inside when they sit. Sometimes they run great for a while until that stuff circulates through...seen it many times
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

In Wisconsin thats a clean car. I can purchase for 4500 or less. I was planning on doing a body off restoration. Seems after all is done its value will have increased? Maybe just dreaming. The owner is the second and purchased in 1984. She claimed original miles. The top has no tears. The bottom side of the car looked mostly covered i¹n
undercoat. I have no reason to believe she is lying. I thought it would make a great restore.
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

I agree, its a great car. The availability and condition in the sunny salt free areas of our country spoil many. It's shiny and looks good. Mechanicals are easier, cheaper and faster to repair than rust. When I was looking, mileage of the car wasn't considered.
What is your experience with VW? Any restoration projects under your belt? If minimal, for both. Go through brakes, electrical and fuel. If the pan isn't too bad enjoy it a summer or two then get heat in your shop and put pans in the winter.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

Bugeye54487 wrote:
In Wisconsin thats a clean car. I can purchase for 4500 or less. I was planning on doing a body off restoration. Seems after all is done its value will have increased? Maybe just dreaming. The owner is the second and purchased in 1984. She claimed original miles. The top has no tears. The bottom side of the car looked mostly covered i¹n
undercoat. I have no reason to believe she is lying. I thought it would make a great restore.
After re reading what i typed...I should have said more. Yes, that definitely looks like a great car, but you need to be realistic about what needs to be addressed when an old car has sat idle so long. Make sure to adjust your offer accordingly. Also if its still fuel injected its easiest to pull the engine to renew all the seals hoses etc that will need to be replaced. If you need advice on that there's a great separate thread in the sticky section for the FI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

I recently finished this 67 beetle which needed very little work brakes and carb and electrical. I am about to pull the engine to do the top end.

I am up for the challenge. Hoping to get it for less. She also has this 74 sitting around. Wants to get it running. I might help her with that.

Thanks for the opinions.
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

Can’t do much with $4500 anymore. I wish my project was as nice at the start.
It truly doesn’t look like a 32000 mile car but we only have two photos so they could be very deceiving. Pull it out of garage and check it out and throw out a number you can be happy with.
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

Man ,you found a honey pot of toys
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

That 74, might be a 1975 110 basic model? Check vin #.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

If structural rust is rampant under the carpets, the back seat, or the heat channels, then the car is worth about 8-10k less than if the car has no structural rust. Pictures don't help in that determination. Note that the car was painted in a rather cheap way. I'd be suspicious and want to see a lot more before I spent more than 3k.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

Nice car. I can help you make room if you want to send that 67 this way.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

Quote:
That 74, might be a 1975 110 basic model?
I'm thinking the Love Bug special edition in Phoenix Red, based on the Standard Beetle. Info here: http://www.sebeetles.com/lovebug/
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

I think the white one maybe a champagne edition. White fender beading...going to look again at it! I will get more pictures.
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

The white convertibles is definitely a champagne edition. Is this make a higher value?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

If the rust is only bad on the bumpers, and the floors look reasonably rust free (only surface, that is), as well as the rust just under the rear of the top, $4500 sounds like a good price to me, especially in WI.

See if the engine turns over okay, and plan on replacing lots of FI seals and whatnot.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
That 74, might be a 1975 110 basic model?
I'm thinking the Love Bug special edition in Phoenix Red, based on the Standard Beetle. Info here: http://www.sebeetles.com/lovebug/

You might be right. That's the car to buy, not the Super.

02/76 Beetle sedan
Prosdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

I just bought a 1975 red 110 with 18,000 and original tires ,seats got tore and dirty from sitting so many years . I can only find a sample of the hounds tooth interior at sewfine but it’s a little bigger . Any help with more about these cars. Thanks

pitterpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Garage find Reply with quote

Bugeye54487 wrote:
I recently finished this 67 beetle which needed very little work brakes and carb and electrical. I am about to pull the engine to do the top end.

I am up for the challenge. Hoping to get it for less. She also has this 74 sitting around. Wants to get it running. I might help her with that.

Thanks for the opinions.

Nice work on the 67. The b74 looks like it's min decent shape. Nice
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: