Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hella turn signal switch bulb
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWScrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Hella turn signal switch bulb Reply with quote

I just bought a pair of Hella turn signal switch and for the one with the red tip, the bulb is missing. Can someone give me some information about this bulb ?

Thanks in advance.
VWScrew from France.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bulbs are listed in the '71? hella catalogue as:

6V W61.2

12V W121.2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SAMBA VAN MAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what bulb is it? is it a Ba7s?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a red tip semaphore switch but it's a bosche version..

Not sure if it runs the same bulb but I can pull the number and email you a pic in the next couple days
SAMBA VAN MAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning
Yes that would be great.
Many Thanks

Paul
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella turn signal switch bulb Reply with quote

Hello, I'm looking for a wiring diagram for installing one of the red tipped hella switches (above) in my split bus with semaphores - can anyone point me in the right direction please? I've found this but it is for flashing indicators:
https://images.classiccult.com/hella-turn-signal-semaphores-switches-2.jpg

Many thanks,

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella turn signal switch bulb Reply with quote

bally wrote:
Hello, I'm looking for a wiring diagram for installing one of the red tipped hella switches (above) in my split bus with semaphores - can anyone point me in the right direction please? I've found this but it is for flashing indicators:
https://images.classiccult.com/hella-turn-signal-semaphores-switches-2.jpg

Many thanks,

Dave

I'll have a look at stock wiring diagrams and the switch and draw something up for you. Just need to know how many wires you switch is and what year bus?
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hella turn signal switch bulb Reply with quote

Here you go. 54BL for power in, use your stock WHT/GRN/BLK indicator power wire from the fuse box. Separate power to K, or in my diagram I used power from 54BL, might not be practical in real world, I'll let you figure that part out. Then the other K needs to be connected to the blue wire to the speedo indicator light. That should make the red tip light up just as the speedo light would. HR and HL are connected normally to the corresponding WHT/BLK and GRN/BLK semaphore wires. The other 3 terminals should need to be connected to anything.

Should install pretty clean, basically only one extra wire under your dash. Good luck, lemme know how it goes but that should work.

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hella turn signal switch bulb Reply with quote

Brilliant. Thanks. I'll get to it this week and report back. Cheers Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella turn signal switch bulb Reply with quote

I got to pulling this switch off yesterday and here is what I found:

I have four terminals, K, L, R and 54

I assume my green/white/black (need to source that cable from an old loom to get the right colours) goes to the 54, L and R are feeds tot he semaphores and therefore I assume my only K would be an output to the dash light - is this correct?

My bus is Oct 59 Australian CKD PMG bus

Cheers, Dave
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Hella turn signal switch bulb Reply with quote

Gimme a little bit, I'll draw up another one tonight and edit it in.

EDIT: Never mind, I'm pretty sure you're right there. Same as any other semaphore switch. Grab a multimeter and check for continuity through K at the terminal and where the bulb + would touch. Assuming K is the bulb, I reckon a factory install would just run another thin blue wire from the speedo indicator bulb up to K. If you're using a stock loom I could rip out some of my original blue wiring from a beetle and ship it down to you (Building a new loom) so it would look period and original. If you do run a new wire from the speedo indicator bulb I'd put a bicycle shift cable cap over the three sections of bare wire and clamp it down like they did at factory back then. Any bike shop will have em, usually free or under a buck. Closest thing you'll get and ensures a good solid connection. Get plain steel, not anodized.

Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hella turn signal switch bulb Reply with quote

https://4rcustomswire.com/

Good place for wire with colour tracers in similar pattern to stock VW if you're doing some small replacements but no tri colour from BLK/GRN/WHT.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hella turn signal switch bulb Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and links, I'll test it this weekend. I have an old loom I can rob for the cable. Thanks. I don't follow what you mean by the bike part; I was planning to out some black heat shrink over the cables. Can you elaborate please? Cheers. Dave
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hella turn signal switch bulb Reply with quote

OK so on the old style screw terminals sometimes where there were two separate wires going into one terminal they had a metal sleeve that was crimped onto the wires to hold them together. Those bike bits will do the same, shove it over the multiple wires and crimp it down. Easy to slide into the terminal and good connection between wires.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella turn signal switch bulb Reply with quote

Great tip. Thanks. Was that used at the fuse box too?
46split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella turn signal switch bulb Reply with quote

Hi All Not sure what make this is but does anyone happen to know how to wire up to a Lowlight ghia

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: