Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with squeak???
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Help with squeak??? Reply with quote

1965 1200. Stock.

Went for a drive today. Everything went well and the car drove beautifully.

However, there is a squeak. I don’t know what it is or if it’s serious.

Squeak is only there when the car is moving. No squeak at idle. Applying the brakes does not change the squeak. Squeak changes depending on vehicle speed. Squeak isn’t hugely loud. I only hear it when passing walls or parked cars that could reflect back the sound.

Yes, i did grease the four grease nipples on the front suspension! Also, had recent transmission work and the rear axel boots have been replaced.

I don’t mind a few little noises from an old car, but I don’t want to be damaging something. Is there anything to grease at the rear?

Much thanks for any help & suggestions. Very Happy
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with squeak??? Reply with quote

Squeaks drive me f#€@ng insane. Here’s how I stopped a few.

1. Oil the door hinges. Every month!
2. Tighten running board bolts.
3. Oil hood hinges and silicone the seals.
4. Adjust hood latches. This one I’m not sure solved it, but maybe.
5. Silicone grease on seatbelt roll parts. This will probably kill me, but the squeak stopped. 🤣
6. Push hard (not too hard) on the windshield to set it properly.

I know these sound weird, but like I said, squeaks make me want to kill so I try everything.
Btw, self adhesive furniture pads solve everything. Especially if you put the along the bottom of the doors. You’re welcome! 😂
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with squeak??? Reply with quote

A squeak that seems purely related to vehicle speed and is coming from outside the cabin would made me think either wheel bearings, brake drum rubbing on hardware or backing plate, or transaxle related.

What work was recently done to the transmission? Was the squeak present prior to the work being performed?
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Help with squeak??? Reply with quote

I often have the radio on but not yesterday. Also, I wear earplugs if I know I have to go on the highway. But yesterday was just around town. So, no, I don’t think it’s that new a squeak. Transmission was recently rebuilt and it’s a 65, so that means swing axels which were removed and then put back.

It’s definitely NOT an in-cabin noise. Joe would I go about checking wheel bearings? Backing plates?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with squeak??? Reply with quote

You can jack up each wheel and spin it to see if you can replicate the noise, maybe luck out and narrow down just one corner that needs to be pulled apart.

Front wheel bearings are checked for adjustment/play every 3k miles with the tire off the ground, pushing and pulling on the wheel at 6&12 o'clock as well as 3&9 o'clock. They need to be removed, cleaned, inspected, and regreased or replaced as needed every 30k miles.

Rear wheel bearings on a swing axle can be checked for radial play with the tire off the ground, looking for any axle shaft movement up/down or fore/aft. They're typically only inspected or replaced when they make noise or things are pulled apart for some other reason, such as a leaking axle seal. Since they're lubricated by the oil in the transaxle, you should check the oil level in it to ensure it isn't low.

If a brake drum is rubbing on a backing plate or hardware, you'll need to pull each drum off and look for evidence of contact (shiny spots where the finish or surface corrosion has rubbed off). This is most common where a return spring has come loose or the shoe retainer pins are too long.
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with squeak??? Reply with quote

THANK YOU Very Happy
Jacking up a wheel and spinning it is fully within my skill set. Wink

I will start there. My $ is on front right, but we will see.

There’s enough info to get me started.

Much appreciated.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with squeak??? Reply with quote

Maybe check wheel bolt torque and wheel bearing play . Also check rear axle nut torque and drive it without the hubcaps to make sure they don't squeek.
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with squeak??? Reply with quote

Thank you vwoldbug. Hubcaps should be easy and I have a torque wrench. I wasn’t sure how to check for wheel bearing play, but YouTube came to the rescue - jack up wheel, then try to move it up/down with hands at 6&12 o’clock and side to side with hands at 3&9. Very doable. Thx.

BTW Results so far. Breaks were dragging on driver’s front wheel and required exactly ONE click to fix. But squeak still there. Will implement suggestions as time and (unfortunately) weather allow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: