Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 split.. headlight problem
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DsplitWindowguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: 63 split.. headlight problem Reply with quote

U h-oh, me again.. I cannot get one of my headlights to go on. I tighten it down with big screw then other side pops off... I got one but,, now I a stuck, again... ideas anyone??
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 split.. headlight problem Reply with quote

German original or aftermarket headlight/chrome ring? What body-to-headlight rubber company do you use?
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 split.. headlight problem Reply with quote

It's the same German engineering maddening enhanced design that's been used on every Porsche 356, 912 and 911 from what 1954 to at least 1989? In which case, final proper removal and fitment is accomplished with the open palm of your hand applied in very firm and fast condition.

But what I'd check first: Remove the outer chrome ring from the headlight assembly. Try fitting just the chrome ring to the headlight bucket that is welded to the chassis. If it doesn't fit quite right all the way around, remove it and massage with your hands the spots that don't quite fit right by slightly bending and twisting the chrome ring. Once you think you have it right, place the outer rubber gasket that fits between the chrome ring and bucket welded in the chassis in place then try to fit the chrome ring. IF you can get it all to fit correctly WITHOUT the headlight assembly then it ought to fit right WITH the headlight assembly inside the chrome ring. Right?

Now in the words of ESPN's Lee Corso...."Not so fast my friend!" don't be surprised when it all gives you problems once you try to install the headlight assembly to the chrome ring then try to put it all on your bus with or without the rubber seal.

One area to look at, is where the metal "spring" clips that hold the chrome ring to the headlight assembly are positioned relative to the "tab" on the headlight bucket welded in the chassis of your bus---which coincidentally is at the opposite end of the bucket where you put the screw . Try to have the metal "spring" clips in a spot where the chrome ring doesn't land on that "tab".

Good luck with it. They are almost always a fight. At least one of them usually is!
DsplitWindowguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 split.. headlight problem Reply with quote

Thanks all.. still fighting chrome headlight ring... fits great with no rubber gasket!!! But I live in a rainy area gotta have it.. so still at it..
DsplitWindowguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 split.. headlight problem Reply with quote

Barry, the parts can with bus, so not sure what I have...
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 split.. headlight problem Reply with quote

Can you post a photo of the gasket especially the tee profile in focus.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 63 split.. headlight problem Reply with quote

Do you have the spacer under the mounting tab?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DsplitWindowguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 split.. headlight problem Reply with quote

Here is my headlight.. all seems fine, other on went it great!! Spacer part???????
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There they are headlight pics.. 63 bus
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 split.. headlight problem Reply with quote

He means this

If you crank it down without that spacer, it can pop the other side off the body.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 split.. headlight problem Reply with quote

Also, start with the entire headlight aiming assembly aligned better. Adjust the screws and make the headlight retaining ring "match" or otherwise be evenly spaced with the plane of the main assembly "can." It may not be straight enough to screw into the headlight bucket at all.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
DsplitWindowguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 split.. headlight problem Reply with quote

OH, that white spacer. yes I have it!! And love all the help on here,, I read them and then work on projects,, so thence, I am still at it!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: