Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GotBugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

My wife and I recently purchased a 1978 Super Beetle Convertible, our first VW Bug, so we are just getting into this.
We are studying “The Compleat Idiot”, websites, The Samba, etc…. and trying to get up to speed.

A couple of notes before I ask my questions. The Beetle came with a Fuel Injected engine, but we decided to have it changed out to a 34 PICT 3 carb and the engine is a 1600cc 50hp (48hp).

When we do City driving it drives the Beetle drives okay, but when we hit the Highway it only tops out to maybe 52 to 54mph and bogs down on hills. We were thinking that we should be able to see somewhere between 65-80mph??

Is that realistic?

Any ideas on why we might not being getting full engine power? What should we look at or tweak on trying to improve the engine performance?

I'm doing research as much as I can, but I figured I would just toss it out there to start getting some thoughts and input from you folks.

Any thoughts, comments, and help would be greatly appreciated.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

Could be a number of things, fuel pressure could be one since you converted from Fuel injection to a carb, did you change the electric fuel pump or add a regulator to lower the pressure?

Your ignition timing could be an issue, I see you posted a topic asking about the distributor.

The carb looks to be new and I assume it's an aftermarket version. The problem could be there.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

GotBugged wrote:

A couple of notes before I ask my questions. The Beetle came with a Fuel Injected engine, but we decided to have it changed out to a 34 PICT 3 carb and the engine is a 1600cc 50hp (48hp).

Oof you should not have done that.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

Yeah, not only a downgrade in horsepower, if the new parts came from China it's introduced a whole bunch of extra issues.
I hope you kept the FI components.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

GotBugged wrote:
The Beetle came with a Fuel Injected engine, but we decided to have it changed out to a 34 PICT 3 carb and the engine is a 1600cc 50hp (48hp).

My thought are that this was a good idea, and especially if there were any issues at all with the fuel injection system.

GotBugged wrote:
When we do City driving it drives the Beetle drives okay, but when we hit the Highway it only tops out to maybe 52 to 54mph and bogs down on hills. We were thinking that we should be able to see somewhere between 65-80mph??

Is that realistic?

Absolutely realistic to get 75 mph on relatively level highway.

GotBugged wrote:
when we hit the Highway it only tops out to maybe 52 to 54mph and bogs down on hills.

Any ideas on why we might not being getting full engine power? What should we look at or tweak on trying to improve the engine performance?

I see in your photo an issue with the steel accelerator cable tube that goes through the fan shroud. This might be preventing full opening of the carb on acceleration/full mashing down on pedal.

On my VWs, I add a hose clamp to the forward (hidden) side of the fan shroud to keep that in place, and so the cable can be adjusted correctly.
Your photo
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's mine, with clamp

And if the timing was set when you still had the hoses connected incorrectly as in your photo, that should also be checked.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

I think the vacuum advance hose is hooked up to the wrong port on the carb...you may not be getting any advance.

Also, since you don't have heat risers to the manifold, at the very least you should get a factory air cleaner and hook up a heated air hose to it.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
GotBugged wrote:

Oof you should not have done that.
X2 on that! My F.I. bug easily goes 75 all day. However something is obviously quite wrong
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

I would definately check timing. Forget setting it at idle...the real important setting is max advance. Set for 30 degrees at 3200 to 3500 rpm. Also if the advance hose is on the wrong port it won't affect highway driving under load, that would fall to the mechanical advance part of the distributor. What did you do with the fuel injection system?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

I have converted my FI engine to carb as my FI was shot and i live in the UK and parts are not easy to get.

I did use genuine 34 pict-3 carb and correct distributor to match as ssaid you have no pre- heat what exhaust are you using?

You have double vac distributor with only one vac connected im not sure if thats a good thing

Also on an FI fan shroud the accel cable is in a different position so you might not be getting full throttle

i can get 80mph from my engine no problem
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

Have you tested the distributor to make sure it actually advances properly? How much pressure is your fuel pump putting out? Can you tell us what was wrong with the fuel injection system that prompted the conversion to a carburetor?

You will need manifold heat up in Massachusettes. It is already cool enough there to freeze up the carb/manifold.

The proper solution to your problem would have been to come here for advice BEFORE changing a bunch of stuff.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

I think i would be taking it back to the person who did the conversion and ask them to do it correctly, unless this is something that you have agreed to prior the work and he has explained that you do not have correct fuel pump, exhaust, carb and manifold, distributor also air filter .
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

No heat risers=Icing manifold. That variable alone could explain your performance issues. But there are likely other issues here too as stated in the replies.

Pull over when it starts to bog down and feel the intake manifold
Under the carb. I’ll bet you it is ice cold, and may even have ice on the outside. Fuel is condensing to liquid in there. Liquid fuel will not combust.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

You might consider this for winter driving -

https://www2.cip1.com/c21-2139/
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

Make sure its getting full throttle when you put the pedal to the floor.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

johnnyvw164 wrote:
I think the vacuum advance hose is hooked up to the wrong port on the carb...you may not be getting any advance.

*** THIS ***

Max
polypetalous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

OP @GotBugged.... Where you at?

Was hoping to see more resolution to this, OP started bunch of threads then no more activity/replies...bummer!

Hope all the talk of it being a mistake switching from FI to Carb hasn't scared you off...
Not the first (nor last) person to ditch FI... just gotta get it all sorted now and lots of folks here to help with that!

Ben
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

Well, maybe he only gets around to checking the forum on weekends. Hopefully he'll check some of the suggestions and post back with results.

There was definitely a lot wrong there, but nothing that can't be fixed with help from everyone here. Or maybe he took the car to whoever did the changeover and said WTH???
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

GotBugged, the vacuum hose connections between the distributor and carburetor can be confusing. Many wrong connections are possible if you don't check repair manuals for the parts that you have on your engine. 2 years ago I replaced my dual carburetors in my '77 Beetle with a single carburetor, intake manifold, and different distributor. This was for a temporary setup; I want to go back to dual carbs very soon. All 3 components were good used German parts, and the engine has the earlier heater boxes (thru '74) so that the manifold utilizes the preheat pipes. I had cleared the preheat pipes out prior to the install and also repainted the manifold.

The distributor is a used German one which appears to be the very same one as on your engine. There is an unused hose nipple on the front-facing side of the big vacuum "biscuit" on yours. On my distrib. I put a plug over it. The only vacuum line on mine goes from the downward-facing nipple of the vac biscuit, up to the left vacuum port on the carb. That curved line is from an unused piece of brake system pipe which I polished with chrome polish. It is formed just like a factory pipe. You need that upward bend outboard of the carb because during vacuum conditions, fuel vapor can be pulled out of the carb. The upward bend prevents any fuel vapors or drops from going down the pipe into the vac biscuit and disintegrating the diaphragm inside it. But for now, you just need to reposition your hose.

What you can do is pull the long hose off the carb. Remove the distrib. cap and pull the rotor off (goes straight up). Suck on the end of the long hose and watch that "something" moves inside the distrib. What you should see moving is a flat metal arm that goes into that vac can. Might only move about 3/8" total, but that's OK. It is the ignition advance. Take the plug that's now on your carb's left nipple and cover the nipple where the long hose was.

Put the rotor and cap back on, secure the throttle guide tube in the fan shroud as already explained, and take it for a highway drive... It "should" now easily hit 70 mph and more.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle: Engine Performance Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
GotBugged wrote:
The Beetle came with a Fuel Injected engine, but we decided to have it changed out to a 34 PICT 3 carb and the engine is a 1600cc 50hp (48hp).

My thought are that this was a good idea, and especially if there were any issues at all with the fuel injection system.

GotBugged wrote:

Is that realistic?

Absolutely realistic to get 75 mph on relatively level highway.

GotBugged wrote:
when we hit the Highway it only tops out to maybe 52 to 54mph and bogs down on hills.

I see in your photo an issue with the steel accelerator cable tube that goes through the fan shroud. This might be preventing full opening of the carb on acceleration/full mashing down on pedal.

On my VWs, I add a hose clamp to the forward (hidden) side of the fan shroud to keep that in place, and so the cable can be adjusted correctly.
Your photo

Here's mine, with clamp

And if the timing was set when you still had the hoses connected incorrectly as in your photo, that should also be checked.

That's a great post.
I noticed the Distributor is set like a type 3, #1 should still be at the scribed line on the distributor. and I agree the vacuum line is at the wrong port.
Also you can't time this engine @ 5 ATDC because you are not using the retard side of the Vacuum can.
The stock exhaust on these 75-79 type 1 are not good for performance, but make good heat.
I'd loose the heater boxes, and get J tubes and 1-3/8 system, but it needs to be set up so the heat raiser system actually works.
I think AirCooed.net can get you that set up on a 1-3/8 system.
I'd go back to a Oil Bath air cleaner with the preheat tube hooked up.
The Oil Bath Air Filter has a lot of thermal mass that will be heated by the preheat system, further preventing drivability issues due to a cold carb.
I'd get a degree pully, so I could time the engine at 27-29 degrees BTDC (vacuum hoses connected) at 3000 RPM.
So you engine will look just like the one posted with the green body.
My '78 Super Convertible still has F.I. because I live in Ca. and cruises @ 65-70 no problem.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: