Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New jbugs (TMI) sun visors are too short?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
justinekins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: New jbugs (TMI) sun visors are too short? Reply with quote

After finally finding a nice reproduction set of sun visors for my ‘64 Variant on Jbugs, I tried installing them. To my disappointment, then seem too short to reach the clips. At first glance they look like perfect replicas of the originals, but upon closer inspection, I realized they end up being much shorter because the base (swinging arm) is much stubbier.

Here are my questions:
1) Is my Variant (German import) actually different than a Squareback?
2) Can I adjust the arm to make it longer?
3) Or maybe do later year models have stubbier arms?

Hard to believe that they could be mass producing them if they didn’t fit for anyone. I don’t want to jury rig new clips to make it fit. Any advice? These things were expensive Confused

Here are pics:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New jbugs (TMI) sun visors are too short? Reply with quote

I had this on mine. You can pull the pin out a certain amount so it will clip into the slot. Once in, they have worked perfectly. Can't find my post but I did discuss it on here somewhere !
G

Found it - Try here :- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9501634&highlight=#9501634
justinekins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New jbugs (TMI) sun visors are too short? Reply with quote

That was it! You just have to pull the rod a bit to extend it. This is why I love thesamba. Thanks very much. You made my day!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New jbugs (TMI) sun visors are too short? Reply with quote

For me that would unacceptable. I would not want to modify an brand new body part.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
justinekins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New jbugs (TMI) sun visors are too short? Reply with quote

I hear ya, but it's not a modification. It was designed to be adjustable. The metal rod just pulls out if you apply a bit of force and twist. They don't include it in the instructions, but Qldelsie's reference to an old topic revealed that it's a commonly known thing about TMI's visor's.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New jbugs (TMI) sun visors are too short? Reply with quote

IIRC, someone wrote that it is done for shipping purposes, so the visor will fit in a slightly smaller box etc etc. Not sure I believe it, but it could make sense. Also may be because that visor is for all a/c models and years, and the distances between clip and hinge may vary slightly between models, so this adjustable pin means supplying all models is possible with a single visor.
??? Maybe Laughing
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: New jbugs (TMI) sun visors are too short? Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
IIRC, someone wrote that it is done for shipping purposes

yes, it is in the links above and in the other threads. It's like people are scared to click on a link or something lol
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NotchbackBliss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New jbugs (TMI) sun visors are too short? Reply with quote

Thanks all. This helped me out today. I'm so glad there was a solution and easy fix. Very Happy
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New jbugs (TMI) sun visors are too short? Reply with quote

Yep, fess up time...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=745905
SM-JBugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: New jbugs (TMI) sun visors are too short? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgWBZl4ZSlM&feature=emb_logo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: