Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UPDATE: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: UPDATE: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

***Update: 12/19/21. I figured it out! I finally stumbled onto a condenser/evaporator in the front of the car attached to the torsion bar so the car had an AC unit installed at some point. No other evidence on the interior, in the engine, etc. With that bit of knowledge, I started Googling other Ghia's with AC units and many of them have these holes supporting the AC unit. My plan will be to remove this at some point. ***

Pulled the carpet out of my trunk to get a better look at wire issues and to start cleaning things up a bit. I noticed there is a perfect "quarter" sized hole into each wheel well. One is just under the fuel fill hose so I didn't initially see it. Anybody knows what these are and if there should be some type of grommet in there? Way it looks now, any rain is just going to get thrown up into the trunk directly from the wheel wells.

Last edited by dungeoncrawl on Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

what year is your KG? Photo of the holes?
I'm only familiar with the newer ones and there are no holes into the wheel well.
I'd just put blanking grommets in them and maybe be a smear of seam sealer on the wheel well side and call it done Wink

I just remembered there is a hole for the speedo cable on the left side and there is a small hole for the top bolt of the mud seal plate on newer cars Idea
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the one on the right. There is a duplicate one on the left but it's hard to get a picture of it because the fuel filler hose is blocking it.

1970 convertible KG.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

How strange Confused
As suggested I would plug them with grommets. I can't hazard a guess as to why those non stock holes are there.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

Don't have anything like that on my 71. Perhaps a previous owner was running some type hose for cooling or running wires. Never seen these holes in any Ghia's I've been around. The hole does look well cut and not just some punch job.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Don't have anything like that on my 71. Perhaps a previous owner was running some type hose for cooling or running wires. Never seen these holes in any Ghia's I've been around. The hole does look well cut and not just some punch job.
Jeff

For sure. They're so well cut that they look like they came from the factory. Just not sure why somebody would want to get down into the wheel wells like that. First chance I need to do some body work and paint, I'll have them filled in. Until then, guess I'll try to find some type of grommet to go in there.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

dungeoncrawl wrote:
Here's a pic of the one on the right. There is a duplicate one on the left but it's hard to get a picture of it because the fuel filler hose is blocking it.

1970 convertible KG.

That hole where you point (left side) looks like the one for the speedo cable and there is a special grommet for that. Do you need a photo of the speedo cable in place? I can provide that.

The one on the right (not shown by you) probably has something to do with the gas fumes venting system, I think.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
dungeoncrawl wrote:

1970 convertible KG.

That hole where you point (left side) looks like the one for the speedo cable and there is a special grommet for that. Do you need a photo of the speedo cable in place? I can provide that.

The one on the right (not shown by you) probably has something to do with the gas fumes venting system, I think.

I believe he is right!
I totally forgot the speedo cable😳

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
dungeoncrawl wrote:

1970 convertible KG.

Yes please. A picture would be great. if you have a pic of what might be going under that fuel fill valve, that would be great too. Guess my speedo is connected through some non-standard way.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

The speedo cable routing through the L side of the front trunk:

I see no similar or other hole on the R side.

I think you might want to investigate the gas fumes venting system for your Ghia's model year and area. You American friends will know better that I in that regard.

Good luck with your restoration.

Chris M
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

I think you are correct Chris, I forgot about that grommet, but for some reason I thought the hole was smaller, that's why I got confused. As for a hole on the right side, I don't have one that big in that location, smaller holes, and like in the other topic discussion, most of the hoses are in the wheel well coming off the fuel filler neck. Good call on the speedo cable!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
dungeoncrawl wrote:

That hole where you point (left side) looks like the one for the speedo cable and there is a special grommet for that.

That hole isn't where the speedo cable goes. His speedo cable is going through the fender well at the same place as in your pic, kiwighia68, which is in that corner between the trunk floor and first vertical section. Not on the curved vertical section. You can see his speedo cable, about 3 or 4 finger widths to the left of the hole where it passes under the wiring harness. I bet if he moves the wiring harness he'll see the speedo cable grommet.

I would venture a guess that this car may have had dealer-installed AC at some point, and that's where those holes came from. The 67 I used to own had dealer installed AC and I seem to recall holes in a similar location. Let me see if I can find some pics...

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

My guess is that it was for an EVAP system. Pollution control device to prevent gasoline fumes from the gas tank entering the atmosphere. I'll check my Ghia (1972) and see if there maybe a similar hole.
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
The speedo cable routing through the L side of the front trunk:

I see no similar or other hole on the R side.

I think you might want to investigate the gas fumes venting system for your Ghia's model year and area. You American friends will know better that I in that regard.

Good luck with your restoration.

Chris M

thanks for the pic but I have one of those also, Its just below the ridge. You can barely see my speedo cable and a grommet like yours at about 10:00 off of the larger hole that is on TOP of the ridge. It's definitely for something else.
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
dungeoncrawl wrote:

That hole where you point (left side) looks like the one for the speedo cable and there is a special grommet for that.

That hole isn't where the speedo cable goes. His speedo cable is going through the fender well at the same place as in your pic, kiwighia68, which is in that corner between the trunk floor and first vertical section. Not on the curved vertical section. You can see his speedo cable, about 3 or 4 finger widths to the left of the hole where it passes under the wiring harness. I bet if he moves the wiring harness he'll see the speedo cable grommet.

I would venture a guess that this car may have had dealer-installed AC at some point, and that's where those holes came from. The 67 I used to own had dealer installed AC and I seem to recall holes in a similar location. Let me see if I can find some pics...

Good eye man. It's definitely not the speedo cable hole. Would appreciate any pics you might have of something similar. A dealer installed AC might be the answer. While I'd love to know what they are, I think we're all in agreement I can seal them up and they aren't useful. Hope I can find some temp grommets that fit prior to any body work i might need. Smile
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

I just checked my Ghia. I have several holes, but not the same as yours. Mine are on a 90 degree angle to the fender wall. One hole is for the speedometer cable, another hole has a bunch of wires going through it. I have no idea what the wires are or what they do. Their tied up under fender well.

Bunch of wires going to no where land.
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

LVGhia72 wrote:
I just checked my Ghia. I have several holes, but not the same as yours. Mine are on a 90 degree angle to the fender wall. One hole is for the speedometer cable, another hole has a bunch of wires going through it. I have no idea what the wires are or what they do. Their tied up under fender well.

Bunch of wires going to no where land.

Thanks for the pic man. We both have the speedo hole and grommet but you've got an even different hole in your Ghia than mine Smile Now we have 2 mysteries.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

Maybe a gas heater?

If so there needs to be a hole for the exhaust and a hole for the intake of the combustion chamber then 2 holes into the interior usually under the dash for the fan intake and the fan blowing the hot air.
rrock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

The AC in my car has been removed and there's a hole in the same area where one of the lines ran into the trunk.
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

rrock wrote:

The AC in my car has been removed and there's a hole in the same area where one of the lines ran into the trunk.

Is there a matching one hidden on the other side under the fuel fill valve? You gotta look close. This could be the answer!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: