Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas in oil parking on a slope.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Betsy1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Gas in oil parking on a slope. Reply with quote

Hi folks!

So, I've been finding gas in my oil. Checked and changed the fuel pump so I'm 100% certain that's not the issue.

I've read about parking the beetle on a incline with the fuel tank higher than the engine. Well, when I park on my drive that's the case. So I' thought I would check and take the air filter off when I pull onto the drive after going out for a spin. Yeap I see fuel what I would describe leaking down inside the carb.

I've taken the top of the carb off and the float isn't cracked or full of fuel.

Is this common? and am I just going to have to reverse on the drive in the future?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gas in oil parking on a slope. Reply with quote

Gas in oil is almost never the fuel pump, although it is almost always the first thing someone throws out there.

I would check to see if fuel level in the carb is within spec. (that info should be in your service manual) And if you have no choice but to park on the incline, try lowering the fuel level in the float bowl just a little and see if it helps.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Gas in oil parking on a slope. Reply with quote

For some reason the 1500 based engines did this. With the PICT 30 series carbs.
Theoretically the fuel pump should stop fuel as well as the carburetor needle valve. Unfortunately the new fuel pumps don't stop gas so the needle valve must do the trick. If the float is against the side of the carb it may not shut off the needle valve. Not sure but I think the original 40 horse fuel pump would shut off the fuel if you have a 40 horse. I would try a new needle valve and see if the float is floating and loose in the bowl. Still sometimes it can happen so that is why there were fuel shutoff valves on some cars. BUGPACK Fuel Shut Off Valve Price: 19.99,
Fuel Check Valve Price: $29,
I made my own.
Is this still in the system? Maybe it's failed or is backwards.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Danwvw on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Gas in oil parking on a slope. Reply with quote

Check this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660036

Certain years/pump/carb setups required an anti-siphon valve, which POs often removed, not understanding their purpose. Both Bugs and T3s had them from the factory at one time. Different styles, but something like this one:

Maybe your setup could use one?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gas in oil parking on a slope. Reply with quote

Other cause might be that the fuel trapped between the fuel pump and carb is turning to vapor, this causes little bubbles of this stuck to the sides of the hose to take up more room in the fuel line. Which in turn causes more than enough pressure to push the fuel in that hose up opening the float valve by pushing the float downward, and into the carb float chamber where it over flows down the carb throat.

Had same problem with our 1960 walk thru panel camper conversion in weather over 80F. Would go to start the engine after a short stop and it would be flooded. Added a second gasket to the float shut off valve and have not had a problem for many years since.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Gas in oil parking on a slope. Reply with quote

Just one note on this... many of us have seen the crappy quality of replacement float valves, and usually re-use the original after cleaning. So if you delve into the carb, never toss your original!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gas in oil parking on a slope. Reply with quote

my 1958 with stock 36hp motor filled the crankcase, sunk float was the culprit. was on steep hill facing up direction.
test your float in hot water, just below boiling point, force the float under the hot water, fr minute or so to see if it starts to bubble out vapor, if so, float is shot. cold water will not be effective. you want hot water to cause the liquid fuel inside float to turn to vapour, so it will be forced out of the leak with bubbles. cold water wont work.

if float is sound, check he float valve for leaky sealing

when ever float, float valve, is replaced, float bowl level must be checked and adjusted as needed. note that even different carb top gasket thickness will effect float level.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas in oil parking on a slope. Reply with quote

This might work for a brass float but plastic may melt. The solid black floats pick up fuel as they age and become heavier rendering them useless. Good luck to
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Gas in oil parking on a slope. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
This might work for a brass float but plastic may melt. The solid black floats pick up fuel as they age and become heavier rendering them useless. Good luck to

The hot water test as discribed works fine on the plastic VW solex floats. Done it many a time with no ill effect on float. I am at sea level. Boiling at 212F and no problem.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Betsy1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gas in oil parking on a slope. Reply with quote

I've not got the "anti syphon" part in place yet...that was my next move although the issue happened before I had this new pump.

I'll try the float test as well but there is no obvious damage visible.

Thanks for all your help.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Gas in oil parking on a slope. Reply with quote

Betsy1965 wrote:
I've not got the "anti syphon" part in place yet...that was my next move although the issue happened before I had this new pump.

I'll try the float test as well but there is no obvious damage visible.

Thanks for all your help.

More often than not, a leaky float appears fine, no visible damage seen, until it fails the hot water test. The hot water test reveals all leakers.

Bug On!

charithjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas in oil parking on a slope. Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I am from Sri Lanka and VW Beetle 1300 (1971) is my daily drive.

I also noticed petrol leak from the carb when parked nose up.

My mechanic tried his best by lowering the floater, replaced a new needle.

But unfortunately the problems is still the same.

Can someone please advise what to do ?

If petrol leaks like this, will I loose the whole petrol from the Petrol Tank?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas in oil parking on a slope. Reply with quote

charithjg wrote:
Hi guys,

I am from Sri Lanka and VW Beetle 1300 (1971) is my daily drive.

New float needle valves are all too often garbage. Better to get a good used German made one. Did he install a second gasket on the float valve? That helped us to shut off fuel flow in hotter weather.

Get the air cleaner fixed, so the pipe goes straight down onto the upper carb. Please post more images of your VW, even better start a thread just about your VW.

Great to hear from someone out your way that has a air cooled beetle!!
charithjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Gas in oil parking on a slope. Reply with quote

Hi Eric&Barb,

I manage to park the car on flat lands Very Happy since unable to park when the nose is up.
Have spoken to old mechanics in the country who have the specialty of repairing the Air Cooled VWs. Some told that's normal in Solex 31 Carb, one told me to replace the Fuel Pump, another one told me dismantle the mechanical pump and install an Electric Fuel Pump which will stop leaking while parked etc.

I am confused and bit worried.

Please advise what best can be done and normally, what's the pressure to be maintained in a mechanical fuel pump ?

Thank you.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Gas in oil parking on a slope. Reply with quote

charithjg wrote:

I manage to park the car on flat lands Very Happy since unable to park when the nose is up.
Have spoken to old mechanics in the country who have the specialty of repairing the Air Cooled VWs. Some told that's normal in Solex 31 Carb, one told me to replace the Fuel Pump, another one told me dismantle the mechanical pump and install an Electric Fuel Pump which will stop leaking while parked etc.

The fuel pump is not going to affect fuel leaking when parked with the engine off, so that is bogus advice. Any stock VW carb might need a second gasket added in between the fuel shut off valve and the top of the float chamber. That worked for us to prevent fuel leaking in hot weather when parked.

As for fuel pump pressure rating with engine running we highly recommend the "Without Guesswork" original VW dealer mechanics manuals for that info now and a lot more that you will need in the future. Left click on the Technical button at upper right of this page you are reading. Next page scroll down to the "Technical Instruction Manuals" column and left click on the Without Guesswork section. Copy at least one year of those to cut/trim and staple it together for your VW library. Lots more need to know info thru that Technical button, so do explore.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: