Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Had a chance to give the emulator a bit of real world testing. I live way out a gravel road with some nice hills, so nearly 'off-road'.

The ignition 'advance' was funny. A while back I'd done Corkins all-in 35% @ 3K RPM (two inches CW of the U) and all that seemed close on the display until I was on a downslope and saw the display go red for 'advance' .. Huh, repeated until I spotted 46deg+.

Okay, so that threw me. I had to find out what I could, thinking somehow that I needed to re-do my timing!

Nope. Physical "aiming" of the Dist and the emulator display are not linked, or at least not very much.

Interesting lesson tho. Now I have to try to sort out why the Corkins method f for my engine is just a tad off. Last time I had to re-find the spot the PO had it timed to, couple degrees was all. Not real sure what that genius had done to this engine... Was an Engineer from the Boston area. Seems possible he'd either done something himself, or had an engine built with some slightly different specs. He would have been the kind of guy who knew about Boston Bob's shop, engine mods, etc.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Don't get too carried away with your timing. The value I display is based on a calculation of the Hall window opening. It is based on the window opening at 78 degrees BTDC and closing at 6 degrees BTDC.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Based on that, the timing map in the binary looks like this:

So, if when the timing is set as per Bentley, and the Hall window is opening at 78 deg BTDC the above table should be correct. You will notice that is is different than the one shown in the Pro training manual. That one has a very flat top and is definitely different. Why? I don't know - yet

So please, now that you have this new tool, please don't over think what you are seeing and think you need to make changes. Now that there is more than one set of eyes on this, maybe we can work together to ensure what I have done in the back ground is correct. I don't claim to have all the answers. I have tried to represent things the best I can, but sometimes reading the disassembled code and figuring it out is not easy.
Digifant ECU with knock sensor and custom
cylinder selective knock control by me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

that timing map is so interesting! to get max advance, one needs specific RPM, like 3900-5800 AND specific AFM voltages.

i'm still not understanding concepts around the calculated TDC... i CAN understand this when a system is timed to dead stock as accurate assumptions can be made. how does the emulator reference TDC when non-stock timing is employed? is there an offset value one can enter to account for the difference? or must dead stock timing be employed for the emulator timing value to be accurate?

i'm okay with the value being relative, not true. i'll always time with a gun anyway.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
that timing map is so interesting! to get max advance, one needs specific RPM, like 3900-5800 AND specific AFM voltages.

i'm still not understanding concepts around the calculated TDC... i CAN understand this when a system is timed to dead stock as accurate assumptions can be made. how does the emulator reference TDC when non-stock timing is employed? is there an offset value one can enter to account for the difference? or must dead stock timing be employed for the emulator timing value to be accurate?

i'm okay with the value being relative, not true. i'll always time with a gun anyway.

Dan, I will try and explain how the timing calculation works, more in depth in a future post. The timing value displayed is based on the distributor being set to stock timing. It is possible to adjust the output to reflect any changes to the stock setting by applying an offset to the calculation. This would require a custom adx file for each person's custom setting. For now, I am displaying it for a stock initial timing setting. It is just an offset, so you can take that into account.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

thanks, Don. actually, knowing that the timing value accuracy depends upon setting timing to stock answers everything for me. you've explained in the past how the timing and TDC are calculated, so no need to go over that again. thanks, tho.

as i said, i'm totally fine with *relative* displayed timing values as i run non-stock timing. it's cool to see the timing change under varying conditions and that to me is the worth, not it being 100% accurate. it's like anything else, you observe a baseline of what is normal when the engine is running well and go from there when it is on the fritz.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

I will add some details later as the timing has modifiers for ECT, fuel cut etc. It will help explain what you are seeing at times
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Well, Friday I got the Emulator installed in my Digifant and today I ordered a Samsung Android phone off eBay. Excited to see the Bluetooth connect and start reading data within the week!

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Bradgt74 wrote:
Hey dabaron, did you solder your wire to C68? I ask because in your picture it isn’t landed there, and maybe the pic was taken before soldering. I’m having second thoughts about soldering myself. I’ve done my fair share of soldering, but not at this nano level! Shocked

i tinned the wire and then used a bit of fresh solder to flow the thru hole and then shoved the wire in. then dressed it from the other side to make sure it was well connected.

i was mil-spec certified when i worked for the gubbermint.

BiWerks Design, LLC
natejohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Has anyone taken any vids of them installing/soldering? I'm not worried about tackling it I just like watching the process. I must have watched Akers videos on his suspension rebuild a dozen times before I started the work myself.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

natejohn wrote:
Has anyone taken any vids of them installing/soldering? I'm not worried about tackling it I just like watching the process. I must have watched Akers videos on his suspension rebuild a dozen times before I started the work myself.

This is a very useful tool for getting solder out of the hole if it has been filled with solder like mine was. It is simply a spring loaded syringe that work in reverse and sucks in instead of pushing a chemical out. You heat and melt the solder in the hole. Put the syringe on it and when you flip the release it sucks the solder out of the hole.
It's magic!

https://www.amazon.com/TBBSC-Desoldering-Solder-Su...amp;sr=8-4

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

natejohn wrote:

There is a picture of an alternate location on the one drive share of the documentation if you prefer. It is an easier location to solder but requires a longer wire. I would do a video, but I have a de-soldering station that most people wouldn't have so it is pointless. It heats and sucks the solder with one device and is a tool I wish I had bought years ago.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

For those that have purchased an Emulator, I have added a video of an ALDLdroid screen capture of my engine from cold start to closed loop fuel control, and the O2 sensor Integral gain value leveled out on my OneDrive share. There is a readme.txt file that explains what is happening, my engine specs etc. I thought it might be useful to compare to what you are seeing with your engine. I would expect with stock injectors the OXS Integral gain value should be less than what I am seeing, but time will tell once others report.

BTW, the next batch of 20 Emulators have been started - processors are all soldered on. Moving to the next components.

Last edited by DigiMatrix on Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

natejohn wrote:

This whole topic is so cool! I agree with Natejohn. Post your experiences and installs folks! I want to live vicariously through y'all until I can get mine! Smile
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
Don't get too carried away with your timing. The value I display is based on a calculation of the Hall window opening. It is based on the window opening at 78 degrees BTDC and closing at 6 degrees BTDC.

Based on that, the timing map in the binary looks like this:

So, if when the timing is set as per Bentley, and the Hall window is opening at 78 deg BTDC the above table should be correct. You will notice that is is different than the one shown in the Pro training manual. That one has a very flat top and is definitely different. Why? I don't know - yet

if im reading that right youre at 26deg at full load? that seems pretty reasonable.

i wonder if anyone has done any logging to see what kind of AFRs the system achieves at full load through the rpms, since its presumably running open loop in that case. would be interesting to see.

41deg at mid/light throttle cruise is also pretty healthy!

its always funny to see what stock setups are running, usually pretty well nerfed at full load at higher rpms by either tons of fuel or really dialing back spark.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:

i wonder if anyone has done any logging to see what kind of AFRs the system achieves at full load through the rpms, since its presumably running open loop in that case. would be interesting to see.

I need to weld in a bung and feed my wideband O2 sensor into the ECU (spare A/D port) and capture RPM vs load vs AFR. Maybe over the winter I can finally fire up my tig machine that I bought just before Covid and haven't made the time to use it yet! I also need to do some programming on a new application to convert the fuel table to injector pulse width for the van digifant chip. I did this before for the supercharged version of digifant chip. Too many things to do and not enough time!!!

I know that Marco Mansi wants to log AFR vs load vs RPM as well.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Can't wait. Hope I'm not too far down on the list. I assume we will get a PM when we're up? I feel like being at the best restaurant ever and am waiting for my buzzer to say the table is ready.

Duncan
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:

I need to weld in a bung and feed my wideband O2 sensor into the ECU (spare A/D port) and capture RPM vs load vs AFR. .

Excited to see what you come up with,

I don't have any stock for stock info on the vw stuff - but some of the Miata stock mapping is pretty amusing. Running deep into the 11s at full tilt and pulling timing up top and running almost stoich nearly everywhere else in the table

I bet there's some power and fuel economy waiting to get unlocked in there.
I wonder how lean things get there in that mid range where the 40+ timing is - those are usually numbers I wouldn't expect to see unless they're pushing >15.5 AFR but I'd doubt that with a cat...

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Can't wait. Hope I'm not too far down on the list. I assume we will get a PM when we're up? I feel like being at the best restaurant ever and am waiting for my buzzer to say the table is ready.

Duncan

You are #14 on the next batch - I just finished working on the next batch for the night. Need to solder the SRAM next and then all the cap's, resisters, led's, pins and bluetooth modules. After that, programming and testing. I hope to begin testing by the weekend. I'm trying to get this next batch done ASAP.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Goodie, Goodie.
syncrowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Thank you for your efforts on this project. I am impressed with what you have accomplished, and this is a huge contribution to the Vanagon community.

I am very interested in getting in line for a unit (in fact, two, if possible, as I have a few Vanagons).

Years ago I was intrigued by the clues in both the Bentley manual (97.123 ECS-MAL IND LT AND SWTCH) and the dash switch for blink codes in ETKA (my 89 has the wiring and connector, but no switch). I was able to get the trouble codes blinked out and clear them, but the codes really didn't provide a lot of useful information.

Your product, on the other hand, is simply amazing!

Craig Forney

1990 Tornado Red Carat
1987 Dove Blue Metallic Syncro Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 31

Jump to: