Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:

Mine worked pretty decent but the tubes were full of old grease. I filled up the tubes with some brake clean and shot some compressed air thru them. You wouldn't believe all the junk that came out. After it dried out I put in some new white lithium grease.

Ok, I did not remove the heater cables. But I did spray WD in the tubes from both ends, then I sprayed them out with compressed air and sprayed lithium grease in them. They are definitely smoother and quieter now. I also turned around the master cylinder reservoir, installed the pedal assembly and a new gas pedal with new linkage. They are working way better now!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
toxicavenger70 wrote:

Mine worked pretty decent but the tubes were full of old grease. I filled up the tubes with some brake clean and shot some compressed air thru them. You wouldn't believe all the junk that came out. After it dried out I put in some new white lithium grease.

Ok, I did not remove the heater cables. But I did spray WD in the tubes from both ends, then I sprayed them out with compressed air and sprayed lithium grease in them. They are definitely smoother and quieter now. I also turned around the master cylinder reservoir, installed the pedal assembly and a new gas pedal with new linkage. They are working way better now!

Good deal. Now take that dimmer switch out and clean the connections. Those thing get a ton of crud/water/snow abuse over the years and are forgotten. That is until they stop working, like mine did. lol

PS: I forgot to mention. The throttle cable tube, make sure it has a slow bend in it where the throttle cable itself does not rub against the edge of the tube. If it does it will leave broken down on the side of the road with a cut cable. I installed a heavy duty Empi cable (yep it is actually a nice cable) and then bent the tube to allow it flow directly the pedal assembly.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Not much work done today. I spent most of the time I had to work on it talking to my builder on the phone. After the call I enlisted the help of wifey to help me bleed the brakes. We got the job about 1/2 done before she was fed up with pushing the pedal down over and over again. The lines were totally empty, so it’s taking longer then usual. All good tho, I got a buddy coming over tomorrow to help me do a bunch of stuff. After she gave up I removed the engine seals, I’ll probably install the new ones this weekend.

The call with my builder was about the engine build. As I stated in the past this is going to be a “sweep the floor” build of pretty much all used parts. The Engle 110 cam we were going to use didn’t pass his inspection. So we had to switch gears and now we are going to use a low mileage Berg 297-A cam. 😳 Since this change is going to be made, the 044 heads will be fly cut to get 9:1 compression and the valves will get 2 springs. He’s also going to build custom linkage for the Kadrons as the OG linkage doesn’t allow for the growth of the engine as it warms up. Now I really need to buy a VS exhaust, but I gotta get the interior assembled first. I’ll run the Ernst for now and probably switch is out in the spring. Zoom Zoom!!!

Pic of wifey before she got fed up…She’s gonna look good driving this car!

’65 Deluxe Build
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

When I switched to the dual master cylinder it was an absolute pain to get fluid to the rear brakes. I even bench bleed it before hand. Then I tried to gravity bleed it and no luck. I installed all new lines and I did not expect it to be so annoying, but it was.

On the exhaust check out the CSP Peashooter exhaust. It is a nice option. I have a video on samba showing how it sounds. https://www2.cip1.com/c31-251-001-050/
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
When I switched to the dual master cylinder it was an absolute pain to get fluid to the rear brakes. I even bench bleed it before hand. Then I tried to gravity bleed it and no luck.

I wonder if this is why Wolfsburg West places this instructional note in all pages of their master cylinder offerings:

"PLEASE NOTE: A power bleeder must be used when installing this master cylinder. This is necessary to fully evacuate air from the unit."
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
toxicavenger70 wrote:
When I switched to the dual master cylinder it was an absolute pain to get fluid to the rear brakes. I even bench bleed it before hand. Then I tried to gravity bleed it and no luck.

I wonder if this is why Wolfsburg West places this instructional note in all pages of their master cylinder offerings:

"PLEASE NOTE: A power bleeder must be used when installing this master cylinder. This is necessary to fully evacuate air from the unit."

I am sure they added clause due to all the emails/feedback/issues that have received regarding the dual master cylinders. I even went so far to use vacuum brake bleeder, it still sucked. I did the samba magic trick of tightening the rear star adjusters all the way up, no luck. In the end it was just good ple foot pumping that seemed to eventually work. Out of all the brake jobs I have done in the last 30 years this dual master cylinder was the worst. PS: I even went so far to try two different dual master cylinders.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Honestly, I've never used a power bleeder either. I suspect you're onto something about the disclaimer. "Get off our backs!" Smile

I suspect the "pressure pot" style power-bleeders have something over the "vacuum" style, which I'm not thoroughly familiar with. I've seen the vacuum guns you pump at each wheel cylinder. WW is probably referring to the pressure-pot style.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I fought the brake bleeding issue a few years ago. Day's of vacuum bleeding did nothing to get a firm pedal.

Bought a Power Bleeder and it really made the difference. Brake fluid in the pot and filled the res. completely. Pumped up the PB and bled each wheel cylinder.

Finally had a decent pedal. Then a friend and I did a final pedal bleed. After that. Great brakes.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Motive-Power-Bleeder-1950-67-Type-2-0100-p/motive-0100.htm

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply’s guys! All great experiences and I’m glad you have all shared them. It’s one of the great things about this website. I do have fluid to all the brake cylinders, they are just not properly bled yet. About to get started on that job now.
’65 Deluxe Build
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Honestly, I've never used a power bleeder either. I suspect you're onto something about the disclaimer. "Get off our backs!" Smile

I suspect the "pressure pot" style power-bleeders have something over the "vacuum" style, which I'm not thoroughly familiar with. I've seen the vacuum guns you pump at each wheel cylinder. WW is probably referring to the pressure-pot style.

I think I will get one of the "pot" style bleeders and try it next time. I have been meaning to get one for years.

I have to say the brake job on my car had multiple issues. Embarassed The braided brake lines were made incorrectly, so the ferrule fitting on the hard lines had to be modified to make them seal. Rolling Eyes
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Super fun day with with my buddy. We didn’t get as much done as I would have liked, but it was still fun. We started by bleeding the rear brakes and man was it taking for-eva. Turns out the reservoir was just out of fluid and I didn’t have one of the lines tight in the rear. 🤦🏻 Once I tightened the line, filled it up and kept refilling it, things went a little faster. Once the brakes were bled I readjusted the shoes and the pedal felt great! By this time it was getting close to the time my buddy had to leave. So, we worked on the the paint for a bit. It’s looking way better now, although I’m sure I’ll spend some time on it. After he left I was able to install one of the engine seals before I had to go and do family stuff. Tomorrow is another day!

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

My to do list is getting smaller! Dancing

Today was got the second engine seal in, that was was a bitch. I also got all the new fender beading installed. Which required me to find a few bolts in the stash. My Jbugs order came in today, stoked on that! So I put the pedal rubber on as well. I also cleaned up the dimmer switch.

Tomorrow I’m hoping to finish up. I still have to install the gas tank, install the new clips on the wheels, install the wheels, take it off the jack stands, torque the axle nuts, fill the transaxle and install the new shift coupler. We’ll see how far I get.

Beading, the patina on that fender is hot!

Engine seals

This little Lyon has been helping me the whole time

’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Good day with the bug. I think I got everything done I needed to before it goes to the shop. I got the tank installed, wheels installed, wifey cleaned the dash, I installed the passenger vent window knob and I filled the transaxle with oil.

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Does this count as two tone rims? 😂

’65 Deluxe Build
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Looking great! I did the urethane (red) shift coupler. Mine last just over a year before it failed. The same happened with my trans and engine motors. I only run rubber mounts for everything.

Last thing, wiring. Clean all of your electrical connections with sandpaper. Same with the fuse box. The fuse box on these have over lapping cooper tabs that hold the fuses. Those over laps are full of a ton of corrosion. Clean those areas and then solder the cooper pieces together. It makes the electrical system work so much better.

Keep up the great work.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
Looking great! I did the urethane (red) shift coupler. Mine last just over a year before it failed.

Interesting, I’ve been running the urethane couplers for 10 years with no issues. Hope it stays that way.

toxicavenger70 wrote:
Last thing, wiring. Clean all of your electrical connections with sandpaper. Same with the fuse box. The fuse box on these have over lapping cooper tabs that hold the fuses. Those over laps are full of a ton of corrosion. Clean those areas and then solder the cooper pieces together. It makes the electrical system work so much better.

The fuse box will be gone through at the shop. I would think all the fuses will need to be changed since it’s going from 6v to 12v.
’65 Deluxe Build
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Good progress. Totally get how you set out to get something done and never quite get as far as you want.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
64 bug nice used front/rear Black RHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I would think all the fuses will need to be changed since it’s going from 6v to 12v.

They don't.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

The bug will be picked up momentarily and towed to the shop for its new engine. Hopefully I’ll have it back by the end of October.

’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Short block is done!

’65 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 18

Jump to: