Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changing fuel components - relieving pressure
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Changing fuel components - relieving pressure Reply with quote

I really should know this but,...
When I changed the fuel pump, I was mostly out of the way as the pressurized gas depressurized. NTL lots of gas flying everywhere is bad, bad, bad.

I should replace the gas filter, which is also in the pressurized plumbing, How can I bleed off the pressure more or less safely?

In the past, I've ordered air and fuel filters from The Usual Suspects. Newbie question : is it worth asking the box stores for the filters?
harvgwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing fuel components - relieving pressure Reply with quote

From my experience with other vehicles, there are really 2 ways to relieve the fuel pressure. You can cut the power to the fuel pump (eg pull relay or fuse) then start vehicle until it dies (only takes a second or two). The other way is the way you did it, but wrap a cloth around the fitting to catch the fuel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing fuel components - relieving pressure Reply with quote

I have never had an issue with the pressure. Only a very small amount comes out under pressure, way more dribbles out of the open gas lines.... ymmv.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing fuel components - relieving pressure Reply with quote

I too have had a face full of fuel spray on a roadside fuel pump R&R

fwiw the vanagon has a T-fitting in the engine fuel lines as a 'test port' this is iirc 5mm. and will relieve pressure.. but you'll likely lose the fiber washer or small nut in the process so I don't really recommend that.

I carry hose pinch clamps in my travel tool kit..

Link

fwiw I carry 2 of these in my tool kit.. one for each side of a pump or filter.
but the smaller squareish screw down ones are nice and tidy for a tool kit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing fuel components - relieving pressure Reply with quote

Darn. Wish I had a pair. In a fit of having a brain burp, I forgot to pack ViceGrips. Not elegant but they would have been a big help.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing fuel components - relieving pressure Reply with quote

visegrips (R) are 4sale in every podunk town and truck stop.
maybe not premium branded but better than having none Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing fuel components - relieving pressure Reply with quote

Um... Haven't been to Welcome, NV, have you. As Podunk as they come, and not a tool for sale. ;)

For anyone heading west, on I50, from Craters of the Moon National Monument, Welcome Station RV Park is a good stop. Nothing extraordinary, but the owners are good folks, and tolerant about vehicle repairs.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing fuel components - relieving pressure Reply with quote

If you have time then just letting the vehicle sit overnight will typically take care of the pressure.

No worry about losing the washer for the tiny bolt on the test port, just loosen the bolt slightly and the pressure will bleed off in a few seconds, and then tighten her back up so you don't forget and leave her loose when you are done and fire the engine back up.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Changing fuel components - relieving pressure Reply with quote

When you pick up your fuel filter, grab a tool to pinch off the fuel lines........ twice.
But a fuel filter is going to be full of fuel and dribble a lot anyway.
The worst part is that stupid clamp!

BTW ...... fuel filters have a flow direction arrow ➡️ on them. They will work either way but one was is more effective.

Right now (since my genuine VW intake nipple broke off) I'm running a CarQuest fuel filter.
Fuel filter brands don't matter as much as oil filter brand does IMHO.
So many vehicles use our fuel filter that it seems like every major filter brand has them....... often in stock.
Same with Air Filters.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Changing fuel components - relieving pressure Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

So many vehicles use our fuel filter that it seems like every major filter brand has them....... often in stock.
Same with Air Filters.

Dave

Assuming you have converted your '85 and earlier WBXer to the more modern after pump canister filter and scrapped the grossly undersized white cube filter.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Changing fuel components - relieving pressure Reply with quote

Get a pair of needle nose Irwin Vice grips, decent quality, and put a piece of Tyson on each nose. You get a pinch off tool and some spare Tyson in one place
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Changing fuel components - relieving pressure Reply with quote

What the heck is a 'piece of Tyson'

I googled "Piece of Tyson" and well that wasn't what I was expecting...
though I should have known.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Changing fuel components - relieving pressure Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Get a pair of needle nose Irwin Vice grips, decent quality, and put a piece of Tyson on each nose. You get a pinch off tool and some spare Tyson in one place

Mike or Cicely?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: