Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Awesome, I'm not specifically into German metal bands, but I just found it funny how right as I accomplished what should have been a major ordeal, a German band played on the radio! Always interesting ways life evolves!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Love it! I spent a lot of time listening to Ramstien while working on my Ghia. Other bands on rotation were Kraftwerk (of course), Can, and Yello. Recently I add Steven Wilson to the list .. but he isn't German

Nicholas

Public Service Broadcasting aren't German either but this was released last week...very Kraftwerk. Smile

Link

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Nice, thanks John...I didn't realize there were so many industrial music fans here! I'm actually more into the "Hair Bands" of the 80's and hard rock/metal from the 80's to 2000's, with some 70's-80's punk bands thrown in just for fun. That's the great thing about satellite radio is the variety of music I can listen to while working on my Ghia. Other than listening to talk radio or traffic, I haven't listened to terrestrial radio music in about 20+ years....Keep your recommendations coming, the music keeps me from getting too frustrated with the 1000 little problems I encounter every time I tinker!
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Hi all, Haven't posted for a while or had time to work on my Ghia lately, been busy running a new company and traveling a lot, fixing up the Ghia Haus, plus the weather finally has gotten warmer.

As I was doing my weekly Craigslist scan, I came across a lady selling some old leftover Ghia parts. Since she no longer has the Ghia, a 71 convertible like mine, and just moved into a new place, she was tired of lugging them around, so she put up for sale. She had a few pics and a couple of things I needed, the price was reasonable, so I hit her up. Took a couple weeks for our schedules to match but finally made it to her house in Maryland. She was really cool and we chatted a bit about Ghia's, her saying she really missed it and had a lot of work done to it a few years ago but never got rid of the extra parts. I loaded up the 2 boxes, one specifically had a plastic dash cover I had never seen before, as well as a KG wire cover for behind the dash, which I really wanted. I didn't even look in the other box until I got home......You could not imagine my surprise when I opened the box, here is what I found!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The dash and glove box cover were in some type of walnut color, never see this before, are they kind of rare? Or just never that popular? The other surprise was the new headlight mounts and especially the replacement sheet metal, those alone were well worth the price I paid! The old catalogs from HOG, KGPR and Just Ghia's brought back some memories, but if you look closely, there is an original Owner's manual in a little sleeve in perfect condition, unlike the one I have!! Plus the door window felts and a small bag of original clips for them, and a new pair of wipers! Definitely one of those rare scores for sure!!! I'll def keep and use a few of the items shown though.

Now, since I don't need the dash cover or the headlight repair metal, I'll eventually post those in the classifieds, but if someone really needs them and PM's me, I'll give them to you at a good price and can give you other pics if you need. I don't know who made the repair panels, but it say's made in USA on them, nor do I know which company made the dash cover, so any history on those would be appreciated. Also the glove box door looks to be original with the locking mechanism, so if someone needs that, let me know, I already have an extra one.

All in all a good day and got me motivated once again to get mine finished! I know many of us have good stories like this, I'm just happy I can join the crowd!!
Jeff

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

How cool. I love running across finds like this. All cool stuff. Can't wait to see news on your car.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I think they called those Burl Wood dash covers.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Driveway Jewelry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Let me know what you want for that dash and glove box cover. I dig that look.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Spent last Wednesday/Thursday at my engine builders place putting everything together. Previously, I had a fully built BB engine that many gave me S*%t about, which gave me some concern, so I reached out to a local guy that posts here, NS Racing, to have him look it over. While everything was in order, we decided to tear it down and check everything to be sure.

In the end, he balanced(?) or evened out the 84 crank, balanced the Mahle 94 pistons and rods, cut and did a 3-angle and ported the heads, added double springs, added Porsche swivel feet (nice!), replaced and balanced the flywheel, and plumbed for full flow oil to run it out properly to the external oil cooler and fan. I still have a few items to purchase just to make sure all is correct. We filled it with oil and hand turned it several times until oil flowed out of all the lines and pressure was set. On the bench, we hooked it up to his external starter and electric fuel pump to fire it up and see how she runs. After only a couple cranks it fired up and sounded mean.

Understand, we only had the carbs and timing at rough setting, and no fan hooked up, but it pumped fuel through and ran nicely. The 5/8" header and pipes gave it a low rumble sound and I know when we tune it to correct specs it's gonna sound sweet. Oh, and initially 140psi in each cylinder! May go down as the pistons and rings break in, but not bad for now.

Dragged it home until I can get a few more parts, Solid rocker shafts, external oil lines to filter, etc. and hopefully soon get it installed. I have a bunch of work travel that will take me away for a couple weeks....life.

All in all a good couple of days and getting me motivated again.

Question, with the size of the engine, 2332, it's going to need some cranking power. Any recommendations on what size Optima or Odyssey I need to consider, wanting to mount under back seat, so size is a factor. Any recommendations would be helpful.
Jeff

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Wow, that's going to move you on down the road nicely! Very Happy

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I used an Odyssey 680 and cranked my 2387 with 9.5:1 compression very easily. Nice engine you have got together there.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
I used an Odyssey 680 and cranked my 2387 with 9.5:1 compression very easily. Nice engine you have got together there.

Excellent, Thank you Ian, I will look for that!
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Has anyone had their chrome door strips re-chromed, the two that sit on top of the doors to hold the rubber down? If so, where, and approximately how much does it cost? I've found a a place not too far from me and awaiting an answer, just wondering if anyone has had these pieces chromed. Thanks,
Jeff

NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Had mine chromed a couple of years ago but could not tell you how much. Too long ago and I'm an old man. d'oh!

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:
Had mine chromed a couple of years ago but could not tell you how much. Too long ago and I'm an old man. d'oh!

Thank you Sir, aren't we all?? Waiting to see what the plater in my state has to say. Not a priority but I tend to write questions down as they pop in my head so I don't forget <-- Definite brain cell loss!
Jeff

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,
Here's a few from the classifieds. The first ad has only one left for $80. I've bought from this guy before and he's a good seller. I suspect the chroming will be pricey but I'm curious to know as well. I've heard the more parts you need to get chromed, the better the price per part is.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2404390
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2171279
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2548306
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2342607

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Those strips on the door should be on the cheaper side to rechrome. They are made of brass, so easy to strip, easy to polish and easy to replate.
I you are going to 'adjust' the shape of them to fit the door better, do it before plating.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks Marc, I'm actually not in need of the part, I believe I have 5 or 6 pieces. The best two are "driver quality", polish up fairly well, but have a lot of those discoloration type pits all along. I was just looking at cleaning them up. Maybe as you say, if I were to send all of them I could get a cheaper price. And since they are just a straight piece, I can't imagine they would be too difficult.

Ian, I think you are right, should be easy to strip and clean up, and being a piece with no major curves or pockets, I can't imagine them taking much to plate. Their shape is good, so no problem there. Thanks gents,
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Been a while since I've posted due to work travel and life! Have been tinkering with a bunch of little things as I can get out to the Ghia Haus. Tapped out some drain holes in the rockers, no pics, and blasted the insides with the 'wool wax' or whatever it's called. The same lubricant/protectant I sprayed inside the doors and other water collecting areas.

Also been putting my engine back together so I can pre-fit and set up all the plumbing, fuel, oil, etc.

Since I had the case full flowed and am running an external cooler, instead of running everything from the oil pump, I only ran lines from the pump to filter and back to the case. At the back side of the engine where the original oil cooler would be, instead of blocking that, I attached a low profile adaptor and plumbed it out the back.

These lines will then go directly to the oil cooler which I plan to mount above the transmission, on the bottom of the cargo area. I had to modify the shroud in order to route the plumbing directly to the bypass cooler and fan, still need to do a little clean up.

The modification will then let the oil to flow to the external cooler and directly back into the block. A lot of work for sure, but wanted to try and avoid long hoses and having to hide/route them all over the underside. Plus, I am assured this will route the oil more efficiently and cool it properly. I will then need to wire in the thermostat, most likely through a relay and to a light at the dash to know when the fan has kicked on. Just spit-balling that idea for now, but will definitely need to run an oil temp gauge.

Any tips are appreciated, more to come.
Jeff

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Glad to see you're back to working on your car. I know how easy it is to get pulled away.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

That looks amazing, I love the fan shroud.

So close now, maybe by summers end?

Andy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 26

Jump to: