Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New heater channel vs new HC bottom plate?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: New heater channel vs new HC bottom plate? Reply with quote

Is the heater channel bottom plate just the bottom of the heater channel? Or is the bottom plate a separate part.

In essence, if replacing the whole heater channel area, do I need a new bottom plate AND a new heater channel? Or does the heater channel include the bottom plate and they sell a bottom plate separately in case the top parts of your channels are fine and just want a patch panel.

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New heater channel vs new HC bottom plate? Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
Is the heater channel bottom plate just the bottom of the heater channel? Or is the bottom plate a separate part.

In essence, if replacing the whole heater channel area, do I need a new bottom plate AND a new heater channel? Or does the heater channel include the bottom plate and they sell a bottom plate separately in case the top parts of your channels are fine and just want a patch panel.

Yes, the second one. A complete heater/rocker channel has both top and bottom pieces. The bottom plate has the captive nuts that the pan is secured to the body with, often needing to be replaced.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New heater channel vs new HC bottom plate? Reply with quote

So to be clear, I must purchase both parts in order to do a full replacement?

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New heater channel vs new HC bottom plate? Reply with quote

You don't need the bottom plate.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New heater channel vs new HC bottom plate? Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
So to be clear, I must purchase both parts in order to do a full replacement?

Unless you purchase a complete unit like the one below.

https://www.mtmfg.com/part/view/complete-heater-ch...95+12+00+1
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: New heater channel vs new HC bottom plate? Reply with quote

I don't know why there's confusion here...all the heater channels I've ever seen sold come with the bottom plate. Word of advice, Those replacement bottoms SUCK. They are about a third of the original thickness. I found out by ordering one for an otherwise good channel. Once I saw it I sent it back and just replaced the whole channel.
the13thduke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: New heater channel vs new HC bottom plate? Reply with quote

Factory replacement channels are 2 piece, with the bottom plate separate to the main structure and heating tube. Unfortunately they're almost impossible to find these days. All aftermarket ones appear to be complete units.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Muzzco is right about the typical replacement bottoms. Two UK suppliers, Hookys and Autocraft, both make excellent quality versions. Not sure whether any US/Canada supplier stocks them.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: New heater channel vs new HC bottom plate? Reply with quote

I haven't seen one like that in years! Actually forgot they came that way originally.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: