Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pressure relief valve plunger stuck, oil pressure up/down
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oc63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Oil pressure relief valve plunger stuck, oil pressure up/down Reply with quote

I've done some searches and haven't found the exact issue I'm experiencing. 1600 DP, mostly stock (electronic ignition, header/exhaust, 30 Pict 1). It's been running great for years with no issues. I've got a VDO gauge for both oil temp and oil pressure. The temp runs about 160 on the freeway and around 130 on surface streets. The oil level is full. The pressure normally runs about 50 psi when cold, about 40 psi when warm and cruising about 45 mph and about 30 psi when warm and idling.
Yesterday the pressure jumped up to about 60+ psi when I started it in the morning. I drove it for about 20 mins and the pressure would move up and down with the rpm's and would drop to about 10 psi at idle once it warmed up.
I realize the pressure will fluctuate with the rpm's but this is drastically different from what it's done in the past.
This morning I pulled the relief valve plug and spring and the piston was stuck in the bore. I was able to remove it with that special tool (very handy, by the way). I cleaned the sides of the piston and made sure there were no scratches or anything.
I reassembled everything and made sure the piston would slide up/down easily.
When I drove it, it did the same thing as before with the swing in pressure from 60 psi to 10 psi.
I'll check the relief valve again in the morning but does that make sense? If the piston is stuck would it cause these issues? My understanding of the system is this should cause the pressure to be higher, no?
Thanks for any help.

My food baby is crowning.
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief valve plunger stuck, oil pressure up/down Reply with quote

If I recall, the general rule is 10psi per 1000 RPM once warm. 60 on cold start and gradually decrease to 10, and fluctuations when driving would be normal in my experience. Sometimes gauges make people worry more than they need to.

Your driving temps seem a little cool - where is the sensor in the system?

Maybe something was plugging/obstructing the system and it finally pushed it self free??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oc63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief valve plunger stuck, oil pressure up/down Reply with quote

Matt Wilson wrote:
If I recall, the general rule is 10psi per 1000 RPM once warm. 60 on cold start and gradually decrease to 10, and fluctuations when driving would be normal in my experience. Sometimes gauges make people worry more than they need to.

Your driving temps seem a little cool - where is the sensor in the system?

Maybe something was plugging/obstructing the system and it finally pushed it self free??

The gauges are wired into the sensors on the case.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief valve plunger stuck, oil pressure up/down Reply with quote

I think the pressure numbers you exhibit today are pretty normal. I've used a similar setup as this - the thing you have to be careful with here is the electrical connections for the pressure sender. Make sure they are tight and the terminals aren't accidentally contacting each other or something else that would mess up the gauge reading.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oc63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief valve plunger stuck, oil pressure up/down Reply with quote

Matt Wilson wrote:
I think the pressure numbers you exhibit today are pretty normal. I've used a similar setup as this - the thing you have to be careful with here is the electrical connections for the pressure sender. Make sure they are tight and the terminals aren't accidentally contacting each other or something else that would mess up the gauge reading.

I cleaned up the terminals and connections, changed the oil and removed/cleaned both oil pressure relief and oil pressure control pistons and cylinders.
When I started it the oil pressure was around 50 psi and after warming up and driving it would stay around 40 psi at medium throttle, 50 psi at acceleration and 30 psi at idle. This seems like where it was prior to the recent fluctuations.
Thanks for your help.

johnpded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief valve plunger stuck, oil pressure up/down Reply with quote

I have a similar but different problem. I had my 1600 dual port rebuilt 4600 miles ago and since that time my oil pressure has been at 60 on start up and as temp climbs so does my oil pressure. At times the temp is at 210 to 250 and oil pressure is at 75 to 100. My mechanic who rebuilt it doesn't seem to have a problem with those numbers. I am currently experiencing a problem with the way it is running also. It seems to be skipping and has a loss of power. I found a plug wire off, put it back on but still is not running correctly. Over the weekend i changed both plungers and the pressure is at 50 at start up but still creeped up as temp climbed. I to have a similar sensor setup. I also have oil leaks at my push rod tubes. Do you recommend the spring loaded replacement tubes?
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure relief valve plunger stuck, oil pressure up/down Reply with quote

Sounds like you may have some ignition and general tune-up stuff you could do. I've used the removable pushrod tubes, they can work well. Make sure the sealing surfaces are in good shape and clean.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: