Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lithium battery size?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrickgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Lithium battery size? Reply with quote

With prices coming down and people starting to experiment with Lithium batteries I was wondering if there has been a consensus on what amp hour is proving to be the sweet spot.

I am looking for a 82 Diesel westy with an Engel MT45f fridge and an Espar D2 heater using most of the energy.
I will be charging with a 100-watt solar panel and a 1000 watt honda generator.

Any and all help/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I should mention that my main goal is to be able to run the furnace for at least a few days. This never seemed possible with my lead acid batteries.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery size? Reply with quote

I have 150Ah LiFePO4 and 100W Solar and can run a Truckfridge fridge for something like 10 days in the summer.
I have a 60A DC-DC charger and a 130A alternator.
The 60A charger is kinda huge unit to find a place for in a little Vanagon.
I was traumatized by under-performing lead batteries that won't take a charge etc, then only put out half of their rated Ah. If that.
Consequently I was researching a 2nd flexible panel for 200w etc, following the Solar custom of Go big or go home.
Anyway we went on some trips and found that with the 60Ah DC-DC charger I can charge my 150Ah from zero to full driving 2.5 hours (every 10 days).
This is handy I suppose.....
Now I don't have to find a 2nd 100w panel not a stash spot for it, or setup the wiring outlets, extension cables etc.
Which I was dearly looking forward to, harnessing every bit of Sunlight afforded my way etc.
But then reality stepped in.

What I would change now is ditch the 60A charger, and get appx 40A DC-DC charger + Solar controller + shore charger all in one.
Skipping the shore charger if it adds too much cost or whatever.

I think 100Ah of LiFePO4 and 100 Watts Solar and 30A DC-DC charger is a sweet spot for 3-5 days.
I would not carry a generator, you already have a gas generator (your alternator).
Apply that $$ and synapses to a 30A (or 40?) DC-DC charger so your alternator can charge the LiFePO4.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery size? Reply with quote

Agreed on no generator. Your alternator will charge a LiFePO4 quickly.

If you are going with the battery under the rear bench or in the cabinets somewhere just spend a small amount more and go with one of the DIY 280ah LiFePO4 setups. That is the ticket!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
patrickgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery size? Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice "Sodo" and "dobryan". I was thinking that charging from the alternator would put a lot of drag on an already pretty weak diesel engine(1.6TD with a Giles pump) I like the thought of a 3 in one charger. Was there a brand name that you preferred?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery size? Reply with quote

patrickgreen wrote:
I was thinking that charging from the alternator would put a lot of drag on an already pretty weak diesel engine(1.6TD with a Giles pump) I like the thought of a 3 in one charger. Was there a brand name that you preferred?

A 30A charger will strain a little alternator a 25% less than a 40A charger.
A 30A charger will charge a 90A Lithium battery in appx 3 hours driving.
your lights take about 12 amps, so charging Solar driving in the daytime is less taxing than driving + charging at night.

I have heard that charging a lithium battery at idle is not good because the alternator needs more air movement + higher RPMs to cool.

280AH battery is somewhat interesting because you can charge it at home and skip all the alternator and Solar charging monkeybusiness.
On the road, find a place to plug in every couple weeks.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery size? Reply with quote

I have installed a 280A/h LiFePo4 DIY battery as Dobryan and a number of others have done. We talk about "fully charging the battery in 2 or 3 or 4 hours" or somewhat more, etc. I have become so used to lead acid batteries over the last many years that my thinking is still stuck on their needs, but should not be.

Lead Acid batteries MUST be fully charged every chance you get and especially when they are not used for any length of time. By contrast, LiFePo4 batteries live quite comfortably in the middle -range (say, 40% to 60%) of their state-of-charge (SOC) and should never be stored fully charged as it shortens their lives. The great thing about using a large capacity LiFePo4 battery is that the middle-range is huge. So, if you have a 280 A/h battery, even if your DC-DC charging system will not fill it up after driving for 3 hours, you still will have added the same amount of energy to the battery as if you had only a 100A/h battery. The difference will be that the 100 A/h battery went from 10% (10 amp hours) to 100% (100 amp hours), while the 280 A/h battery will have gone from, say, 10% (28 amp hours) to only 42%, but that is still 118 amp hours. If, after setting up, you have to scoot to the park store or the fishing hole, the DC-DC charger will add a bit more energy to the 280 A/h unit, while the 100 A/h battery is full and you add nothing.

I found that the footprint of the 280 DIY LiFePo4 battery is only slightly larger than the 100 or 150 A/h DIY units. Note that the "off-the-shelf" LiFePo4 batteries, like the Battleborn, Renogy, and SOK do waste some space by adding a rugged enclosure with padding, etc , but in a Westfalia, there are several well-protected spaces available for the less-protected DIY batteries. I put mine in the cabinet next to the water-tank:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the heatwave/heat dome we had this past summer (115F at one point in Kamloops, BC), I needed the whole 280 amp hours for my TF-65 fridge. At those temps, the fridge ran pretty much non-stop and, because I modified my fridge controller, it ran at high speed too. I kept up with demand by deploying my solar panels which I only brought along because the original plan on that trip (before the heat dome changed everything), was to run both my TF-65 and a Whynter 65-litre compressor fridge from my LiFePo4 battery (for a crowd of beer-drinkers)

We also have unreliable sun here in coastal BC and have a lot of shady camp sites, unlike the US southwest, for example. So, we have to have the capacity to get through a few cloudy or rainy days. In winter, the fridge draw is less, but the diesel heater is a constant draw. The daylight hours are short, meaning, again, that excess capacity is a godsend.

As you know, these batteries should never be kept at a full charge for any length of time, so when I get home, if the battery is well over 60% full, I leave the fridge on for a few days to knock down the SOC a bit. So far, I have never had to use a shore charger with this setup. My DC-DC charger is the Redarc BCDC1240D, which charges at 40 to 43 amps. From, say, 10% SOC (28 amp hours), it takes 5.2 hours of engine running to fully (90% SOC) charge my 280 A/h battery. But we rarely get to discharge all that power, so I don't stress over being at only, say, 70% SOC. My batteries could easily have taken the 50 Amp Redarc, but I wanted to be kind to my alternator and selected the 40-amp (nominal) unit. It's a small package and gives off a lot of heat, so I put the Redarc here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The key thing with charging your LiFePo4 battery from the alternator is that you must use a DC-DC charger to ensure that the voltage output is high enough, but does not exceed 14.6 volts, to prevent over-charge battery damage. Charging directly from the alternator output (which is moderated somewhat by the starter battery and loads), is a very bad idea. LiFePo4 batteries are very sensitive to charging and over-discharge and can be ruined by either or both. Lead-acid batteries just take a hit on longevity when run down too low or charged too quickly, but for LiFePo4, death can occur.

Like Dave O'Bryan, I encourage all to go big on LiFePo4 battery sizing - - you won't regret it.
Italjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery size? Reply with quote

Here are my Lithium setup. managed to fit it under the front seat as well.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery size? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

I think 100Ah of LiFePO4 and 100 Watts Solar and 30A DC-DC charger is a sweet spot for 3-5 days.
I would not carry a generator, you already have a gas generator (your alternator).
Apply that $$ and synapses to a 30A (or 40?) DC-DC charger so your alternator can charge the LiFePO4.

I agree with Sodo.

Not sure about the extent of your planned uses, but my 100Ah LiFePO4 will happily accommodate weekend camping and some longer road trips. I can run 3 days without any charging while running a TF-49 Truckfridge, Propex, interior lighting, stereo, charging phones and laptops. I could probably reach 5 days with my 120W solar panel. With my 30A Orion DC|DC charger and some periodic travel days, this setup could run infinitely.

I am sure 280Ah is great, but seems like overkill to me. I would think 150Ah would be plenty, or in my case 100Ah is enough.

I agree with the DC|DC charger over a generator. Those things are so damn obnoxious. The Victron Orion comes in a 15A version if you are really concerned about the alternator draw. I would recommend installing with an on/off switch so it is not running all of the time. I use a breaker installed behind the driver's seat for this purpose.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery size? Reply with quote

Vanuber wrote:
I would recommend installing with an on/off switch so it is not running all of the time. I use a breaker installed behind the driver's seat for this purpose.

Why did you need to do this? It is not running all the time if you mean putting out max amperage. Once the battery is charged the dc/dc charger throttles down the amperage to just a small trickle. The voltage will be at whatever it is programmed for based on battery chemistry but the amperage will be very low so no need to turn it off.

Am I missing something?

The Western Syncro build
patrickgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery size? Reply with quote

Thank you all for the amazing information. As if working on the Westy wasn't enough it looks like I will try to build a battery as well. I have the space so I will start looking for 280 AH cells. I understand what the BMS does but have no clue the difference between a good one and a bad one. Also, has anyone installed a heat pad with theres. If I am building I might as well incorporate one from the beginning.
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery size? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Vanuber wrote:
I would recommend installing with an on/off switch so it is not running all of the time. I use a breaker installed behind the driver's seat for this purpose.

Why did you need to do this? It is not running all the time if you mean putting out max amperage. Once the battery is charged the dc/dc charger throttles down the amperage to just a small trickle. The voltage will be at whatever it is programmed for based on battery chemistry but the amperage will be very low so no need to turn it off.

Am I missing something?

Good question. There are a few reasons I do not want the DC|DC charger running all the time:

- I want to limit charging on a return trip. LiFePO4 batteries are best stored at 50% capacity and I can shut off the charger to account for this while the battery is still running the fridge, etc.
- Sunday drives or trips around town which puts unnecessary wear on my original alternator when I don’t need to charge the house battery
- The charger gets very hot when putting out 30 amps and seems needless to expend that energy

Maybe I am overestimating the 50% storage capacity and alternator wear? You are right about it throttling amperage when fully charged. To me the switch makes sense as I only need the DC|DC charger 10% of my running time. (I top off with a shore charger prior to a trip).
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery size? Reply with quote

Doesn't the DC/DC charger paired up with the BMS prevent any charging issues?

Although an alternator would be the item that charges the battery, there should be enough safeguards built in, that would prevent an over charge situation.
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery size? Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
Doesn't the DC/DC charger paired up with the BMS prevent any charging issues?

Although an alternator would be the item that charges the battery, there should be enough safeguards built in, that would prevent an over charge situation.

I am not worried about over charging, only about alternator and battery longevity.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery size? Reply with quote

Vanuber wrote:
dobryan wrote:
Vanuber wrote:

Am I missing something?

Good question. There are a few reasons I do not want the DC|DC charger running all the time:

- I want to limit charging on a return trip. LiFePO4 batteries are best stored at 50% capacity and I can shut off the charger to account for this while the battery is still running the fridge, etc.
- Sunday drives or trips around town which puts unnecessary wear on my original alternator when I don’t need to charge the house battery
- The charger gets very hot when putting out 30 amps and seems needless to expend that energy

Maybe I am overestimating the 50% storage capacity and alternator wear? You are right about it throttling amperage when fully charged. To me the switch makes sense as I only need the DC|DC charger 10% of my running time. (I top off with a shore charger prior to a trip).

Good points. They serve you well in your situation.

The Western Syncro build
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery size? Reply with quote

patrickgreen wrote:
Thank you all for the amazing information. As if working on the Westy wasn't enough it looks like I will try to build a battery as well. I have the space so I will start looking for 280 AH cells.

The 280Ah setups are nice and as others have noted essentially infinite capacity for most folks unless you have a very large draw or extreme weather. Here in the PNW, I have a 120 Ah battery and 100 watt solar that fits under the drivers seat. I haven't turned off my fridge all year. I use it as my beer fridge.

patrickgreen wrote:
I understand what the BMS does but have no clue the difference between a good one and a bad one. Also, has anyone installed a heat pad with theres. If I am building I might as well incorporate one from the beginning.

A lot of us use this one or one of the many similar ones on ali express from China. You'll need to also buy the bluetooth module and size it to your system. If you want faster shipping and good support, Overkill Solar sells a good one too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000445091437.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5a164c4dPiuhjg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: